Roomba 560 - Virtual wall ignored

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Roomba 560 - Virtual wall ignored

Postby a1robotrepair » February 15th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Could be a 530 PCA.
Does it run into the Base or Halo around it while running?
What color are the connectors on the PCA?
edit: gotta love spell correct
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby Ldrewes » February 16th, 2017, 12:46 am

I believe it is making good contact, it works when it docks so I assume so. Does the beam from the VW have to be a certain height or angle? When I replaced the main board I disassembled practically everything including the rcon assembly. Is it possible it's not sitting right and not detecting the beam? But I still go back to it being able to dock. Unless the docks beam is much more broad?
Ldrewes

Postby Ldrewes » February 16th, 2017, 1:04 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I just did some reading on the Osmos. So there is no way to upgrade firmware from a PC? I apologize for not knowing much about the Roomba A1robot repair but what do you mean by color of the pca?
Ldrewes

Postby a1robotrepair » February 16th, 2017, 9:36 am

It will dock without the RCON, not as well.
PCA is your circuit board, printed circuit assembly.
The board you took out had white connectors, charging jack, bin, speaker and bumper arrays.
Did the "new" board have white or black connectors? Not sure when the connectors colors changed.
To test RCON: start the bot in clean mode. Move the Base in its path while its cleaning. If it runs over the base or abruptly docks itself, your RCON isn't correct. If it circles around the base, Halo, you PCA is an older 530 board, pre June 2010, or: Your Vwall needs batteries or is bad.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby Ldrewes » February 17th, 2017, 10:13 pm

a1robotrepair, thanks for the suggestions. I will try to do some more testing this weekend. I have the kids this weekend/week and might not have a lot of time to get into it. I will give those tests a shot though. I do know that when i have my VW in either halo mode or vw mode it just blows right by it like its not even there. I have verified the wall is emitting a beam by looking at it through my phone camera. I can see the IR light coming from it.
Ldrewes

Postby Jef » March 9th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I have a Roomba 560 Lighthouse that uses white and RF command center that works OK. But I tried to use a unit Virtual Hall and it is not recognized Roomba (collides with Virtual Hall black). Virtual Hall is normal to not be recognized by Roomba 560? Virtual Hall mention that black is functional and batteries are OK.
Attachments
4.jpg
Jef

Postby vic7767 » March 9th, 2017, 2:00 pm

That VW accessory is the newer always on pulsed IR VW and will require an OSMO firmware flash to make your Roomba work with it.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Jef » March 9th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Many thanks for the information. Www.irobot.com site appears compatible accessory to 5xx series. Not specified as necessary firmware update for it. Disappointing.
Jef

Postby Ldrewes » February 12th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Hello all, well in my last post I mentioned having the kids and being busy and finding time to work on my robot some more in order to continue troubleshooting.....well almost a year later I've finally found some time! haha
So i'm thinking i need a firmware upgrade and the mainboard replacement was an older version than what was in it. It ignores the slim VW i have. I even ordered a pair of the older style VW and those still don't work. It is able to find the home base and dock successfully when it needs to, however while its cleaning the floor it rams right into the home base and runs all over it. I replaced the RCON sensor with another roomba my sister had that just needed a battery with the same results. So based on my research since it docks successfully with the home base but will plow through the home base while cleaning, i'm guessing the mainboard i received had an older firmware on it. Am i correct in this conclusion you think? Now my next question is, is the OSMO the only way to upgrade the firmware? I have/had a 620. The mainboard i received said it was compatible with a 600 series but obviously it isn't exactly the same....so now i don't know "exactly" the mainboard i have. This all make sense? I would think there should be a way to upgrade the firmware via the serial port with a PC instead of the OSMO. Sorry for the extremely late response.
Ldrewes

Postby mfortuna » February 13th, 2018, 7:44 am

The home base acts as a virtual wall when the robot is undocked. There is something wrong with the robot and I don't think firmware will fix it. Search for a link to the service manual and try running diagnostics.

There is no method for updating the robot using a PC.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Previous

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat