Roomba 560 - Virtual wall ignored

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 560 - Virtual wall ignored

Postby mrniels » August 24th, 2008, 5:36 am

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for this great forum: I have aready found tons of good information here !

This week I received my Roomba 560. The Roomba works fine except for the fact that it completely ignores my virtual wall's and in fact just runs over it:

1) The batteries are new
2) I have reset the roomba multiple times (together with virtual walls)
3) The roomba turns the virtual walls on at startup
4) I have tested the virtual walls individually
5) I have performed tests in multiple environment: upstairs, downstairs ;-)
6) Check with a digital camera to see if the virtual wall functions

I'm a bit lost now because I think I tried everything possible to get the setup to work but nothing helps.

In the following video you can see that the Roomba docks just fine:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjbrStw5OGo[/youtube]

In another video you can see that it ignores the virtual wall after reset:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIQ7Iygo0YU[/youtube]

Could it be that I received a package with two broken virtual walls? Perhaps the Roomba sensor is not OK?

All advise is very appriciated !

Niels
mrniels

Postby THX-1138 » August 24th, 2008, 7:44 am

Hello Niels,

Welcome to this forum. Very interesting situation and thank you for providing these videos, they speak hundreds of words.

A couple of questions:

- Do you have any active IR devices within that room or in the hallway which may interfere with the Lighthouses and/or Roomba? Things like home alarm systems that use IR?

- Did you check if the Roomba IR sensors are active as well?

- How far are you placing the Lighthouses from the base?

- Have you attempted to remove the battery from your Roomba, press the CLEAN button for 10 seconds, re-insert the battery and try again?

Let us know if any of these shed some light into this interesting problem.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby mrniels » August 24th, 2008, 9:11 am

Thanks for the fast reply!

On the first floor I have all sorts of IR controller devices but the're not turned on and on the second floor, where the problem also occurs, there is no IR equipment at all. No alam system either.

The Roomba IR sensors: In the front of the Roomba I see three lights via my digital camera. Note that in the virtual walls (lighthouse) I only see one light (also via the cam) and it's blinking all the time. I assumed that the issue is not in the Roomba because it's able to dock (is this correct?). Being a newbie its ofcourse dangerous to assume things ;-)

Anyway, I removed the battery and pressed "Clean" for 10 seconds and then installed the battery again. Additionally before powering up the Roomba I also removed and installed the virtual wall batteries.
Result: the Roomba still ignores the virtual wall

Finally, I did another test: I just unlugged the base, did a roomba and virtual wall reset only to find out that the roomba still ignores the virtual wall. If I then pick up the virtual wall and try to "influence" the Roomba the result is again nada.

What really bothers me is that the Roomba is able to dock and thus able to respond to the base IR while on the other hand the Roomba does not respond to the virtual wall IR.

So no progress yet but thanks to your feedback I at least have been able to perform more tests.

Niels
mrniels

Postby THX-1138 » August 24th, 2008, 9:36 am

Niels,

Do you know of someone that can lend you their Light house to further troubleshoot this problem? otherwise the alternative is to exchange the complete package for a new one.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby fancyfreewv » August 24th, 2008, 9:51 am

THis is indeed strange. The thing I picked up on in the first video is that it is acting different than mine does when docking. Mine will go up to about 6 feet away at high speed then slow down greatly and wiggle it's way very slowly up to the HB.

Yours was crawling along way out then picked up speed and slammed into the HB. Totally the opposite of what mine does.

Don't know if this has any relevance to the situation but I thought I would mention it.
Nancy - Mom to 3 Furbabies - Bentley, Chelsea, Whiskey & 3 Roombas - 535 (Half Trax) and 560 (Shadow) and Dirt Dog (Old Yellow)
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby mrniels » August 24th, 2008, 11:47 am

Hi fancyfreewv, THX-1138,

Unfortunately, I do not know any other Roomba owner. But I actually think the problem is in the Roomba as it also docks very strange compared to what fancyfreewv says and also compared to what I have seen on YouTube.

Can you confirm if the following two behaviours are normal?

Number one

If my Roomba is straight in front of the base and I push "dock" it takes quite long before it starts to navigate towards the base. Also, again the docking isn't very gently either :wink:

Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAZqeaYGNrs[/youtube]

Number two
When the roomba is not straight in front of the base, it will just run past it. If this is not normal then I guess the roomba is defnitly not OK

Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4qa0sHF6Y[/youtube]

Again thank you for the feedback !

Niels

[/u]
Last edited by mrniels on August 24th, 2008, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrniels

Postby THX-1138 » August 24th, 2008, 12:11 pm

The video with the Roomba not moving for while in front of the dock station is normal. I get the same thing with my 560.

I am unable to see your second video.
THX-1138
Robot Master

Postby igors48 » August 24th, 2008, 12:29 pm

According to Roomba Open Interface Spec - Home Base emits 3 beam : "Green buoy", "Red buoy" and "Force field". VW/LH emits 4 beam : "Green buoy", "Red buoy", "Fence" and "Force field".

Looks like your Roomba can`t see the "Fence" beam. He can dock(dock behaviour looks strange!) but he run through VW/LH.

I think it`s time to replacement. Sorry!!!
Roomba550 & Scooba340. !!!Sorry my English!!!
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby mrniels » August 24th, 2008, 12:44 pm

THX-1138 wrote:The video with the Roomba not moving for while in front of the dock station is normal. I get the same thing with my 560.

I am unable to see your second video.

Ouch, it was indeed not working. I have edited the post and updated the link to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4qa0sHF6Y

Glad to hear the waiting is normal behaviour
mrniels

Postby fancyfreewv » August 24th, 2008, 12:48 pm

When you manually dock it (i.e. push the dock button) and it is really not ready to dock, you normally have to set it down about 4 ft in front of the HB in order to observe correct docking behavior. You are setting it down quite a bit in front of the HB if I can see that correctly.
Nancy - Mom to 3 Furbabies - Bentley, Chelsea, Whiskey & 3 Roombas - 535 (Half Trax) and 560 (Shadow) and Dirt Dog (Old Yellow)
fancyfreewv
Robot Addict

Postby mrniels » August 24th, 2008, 12:55 pm

fancyfreewv wrote:When you manually dock it (i.e. push the dock button) and it is really not ready to dock, you normally have to set it down about 4 ft in front of the HB in order to observe correct docking behavior. You are setting it down quite a bit in front of the HB if I can see that correctly.

In the video the bot is about 10 feet away from the base. If it's straight in front of the base then it'll dock (clearly also using its sensors), if it's not straight in front of it then it will just run by it (e.g. I aim the bot to a spot which is about 3 feet next to the base)

Tnx

Niels
mrniels

Postby vic7767 » August 24th, 2008, 12:56 pm

I think igors48 is correct, your Roomba is unable to detect the Virtual Wall IR signal. It can receive the location IR signals from the home base but not the "fence" beam.

Since you have two LH/VWs and your Roomba won't work with either, you can rule out those accessories as failing, it points to the Roomba itself.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mrniels » September 5th, 2008, 12:07 pm

Hi all,

It was indeed the roomba and not the virtual walls. I now have an additional roomba and it works just fine with the virtual walls of the first roomba.

My and my girlfriend have decided to accept our first roomba (named roll-e) to just accept him the way he is !! ;-))

Tnx,
Niels
mrniels

Postby bloflin » September 5th, 2008, 3:12 pm

FYI, in my opinion based on the vids, the Roomba was not working properly for the docking either.

I believe the Roomba's IR circuit was completely hosed.

The only reason it docked in the vids that it did, was because you were aiming straight at the dock.

The fact that it didn't slow to a crawl right at the dock says it did not know there was a dock there at all.

However once the battery charge contacts make contact, the Roomba automatically stops.

You could completely tape up the dock emitter (or the roomba reciever) on a working Roomba and it would do the same thing.
Brooks
bloflin

Re: Roomba 560 - Virtual wall ignored

Postby Ldrewes » February 15th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Hello all,
Reviving an old thread here. I am having the exact same problem except with my 620. The machine docks at the home base fine but blows past my virtual walls. A little background is that this did not start happening until i had to replace my mainboard due to my original getting wet by way of a pet mess. Virtual wall worked great before this and with the replacement now the wall won't work. However it does dock correctly. In the post it mentions something about not being able to detect the fence beam? My question is if this is something that can be repaired with a new RCON sensor? I'm assuming the RCON is what detects the virtual wall. I welcome any help and advice. I really hope i do not have to buy another mainboard...this new one works fantastic all except this virtual wall issue. I did check before buying and verified after, the mainboard is for a 620.
Ldrewes

Postby TechGuy » February 15th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Ldrewes wrote:Hello all,
Reviving an old thread here. I am having the exact same problem except with my 620. The machine docks at the home base fine but blows past my virtual walls. A little background is that this did not start happening until i had to replace my mainboard due to my original getting wet by way of a pet mess. Virtual wall worked great before this and with the replacement now the wall won't work. However it does dock correctly. In the post it mentions something about not being able to detect the fence beam? My question is if this is something that can be repaired with a new RCON sensor? I'm assuming the RCON is what detects the virtual wall. I welcome any help and advice. I really hope i do not have to buy another mainboard...this new one works fantastic all except this virtual wall issue. I did check before buying and verified after, the mainboard is for a 620.

If you Roomba can dock successfully, the RCON is working.
Do you have a black slim virtual wall which came with newer 620?
The replacement PCA may have older firmware before the newer black, slim, virtual walls were introduced. You need to upgrade the firmware.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby Ldrewes » February 15th, 2017, 10:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I am attaching a pic of the wall I'm using. I'm not familiar with how to upgrade the firmware. There probably a thread on here on how to do that? Is the cable needed to communicate with the robot a standard cable I could get at a radio shack etc..?
Attachments
Screenshot_20170214-204717.png
Ldrewes

Postby TechGuy » February 15th, 2017, 11:03 pm

You need a OSMO discussed in the following thread. I am not sure that you can still get that OSMO.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14128&hilit=+osmo
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » February 15th, 2017, 11:14 pm

I'm not sure the 600 models needed the OSMO flash for the later model pulsed IR virtual walls. Ldrewes, did you connect the Room CONfinement (RCON) cable from the front bumper to the jack on the 620 main-board? If you did is the connector making good contact?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » February 15th, 2017, 11:17 pm

His 620 ignores the virtual wall after he changed the main PCA. I think he replaced with an older version of PCA. BTW, his 620 can dock well - just ignore the virtual wall.
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat