My Roomba does not detect connection to the docking base

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: My Roomba does not detect connection to the docking base

Postby trumperl » April 2nd, 2010, 1:42 pm

trumperl
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » April 2nd, 2010, 2:31 pm

Yes !
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » April 2nd, 2010, 5:17 pm

trumperl wrote:
TechGuy wrote:
trumperl wrote:OK, I have the connector but it´s a black sealed box? How can I acces the inside where the contacts are? Or may be mechatronicsman break it?

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. But I did not disassemble my Roomba. The contact can be accessed from the front where the charger plug goes in. I used a small jewelry screwdriver to go behind the curved spring and move it a bit toward the center pole. It was 6 weeks ago and my quick fix is still working!

When you say to the center pole you mean to the plug or opposite to the plug?

I mean the center pole of the power jack in question.

Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby beerorkid » August 25th, 2010, 8:12 pm

I am just posting to thank this community for all the help and especially this thread. I picked up a super skinny and tiny screwdriver to attempt this fix. I messed with it for about an hour on my own and after the wife got home had her hold the DMM. I told her to make a noise while it was working and it was quite entertaining. A few minutes later it was good.

I think I might have mentioned how I got a roomba, but will splain again. Got a 530 from a woot bag of crap with no power connections. Picked up a power pack and later a docking station. It would not dock. I spoke with irobot support and mentioned my DMM findings from the dock contacts and asked for help. They said to pull the battery and throw the roomba away because they were shipping me a new 530 without the battery or any charging bits. I picked up a new battery and had two working 530s, but only one would dock. I have since picked up another charger and dock and both are charging on the dock now. Vic bearings are on the way and I cannot be happier.

Thanks so much for this thread. I searched before I posted a new thread and all is right with the world. I have a aerovac and cleaning brush on the way too. We love these things with 3 pets. I have multiple robots making my life easier and love it.
beerorkid

My Roomba does not detect connection to the docking base

Postby matofill » October 6th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Now I have the same problem on one my 560. I already test front bumper and change from some another Roomba and the same...., than I put out main board and check all wires on motherboard and it is all OK, also the same old (bigger) and new (smaller) docking station works fine with another robots ??? So finally I made the build in test from Service manual page 47 and it pass all tests, also all cliff and another sensor test... all , except tests 24, 25 and 26, which are all for home base, this test all fail. In another robot works fine and I can charge it normal direct with cable to robot. Still this info, they found dock, and they drive corectly into dock, but then nothing, they try to repair, like that is not parking OK..... Any idea what still I can check and try to repair? Also sorry for my bad English.
matofill
Robot Groupie

Re: 560 may have a failed power jack

Postby Gordon » October 6th, 2011, 8:13 pm

matofill wrote:Now I have the same problem on one my 560..., also the same old (bigger) and new (smaller) docking station works fine with another robots ??? So finally I made the build in test from Service manual page 47 and it pass all tests, ..., except tests 24, 25 and 26, which are all for home base, this test all fail. In another robot works fine and I can charge it normal direct with cable to robot. Still this info, they found dock, and they drive corectly into dock, but then nothing, they try to repair, like that is not parking OK..... Any idea what still I can check and try to repair? Also sorry for my bad English.
I think the first item to study would be the grounding switch inside the side power jack. If that switch fails to close when you de-mate the plug then the Home Base has no power return path to GND.
Last edited by Gordon on October 7th, 2011, 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon
Robot Master

Re: 560 that won't dock

Postby matofill » October 7th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Yes i thing that have completley the same problem like you give me link with conectors i will try to change it !

Thanks for Info ! :thanks:
matofill
Robot Groupie

Postby Fraggboy » October 7th, 2011, 6:38 pm

**Merged Topics**
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby GadgetHome » October 8th, 2011, 11:47 am

For what it's worth, my 560 had a similar problem. Based on the discussion here, I discovered that there was a tiny amount of carpet fiber embedded in the connection. I removed it with a vacuum while gently coaxing it with a precision (very tiny) screwdriver. Never had to open the case, and it docks beautifully now.

Thanks for the thorough discussion!
Chief Robot Wrangler (at my home)
GadgetHome
Robot Groupie

Postby matofill » October 8th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Today i repair my roomba and it was realy conector, which i replaced with new and now works fine ! Thanks GOT for this forum ! :mrgreen: :thanks:
matofill
Robot Groupie

Postby Gordon » October 8th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Thanks for the success story feedback matofill.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby SE_machine » April 19th, 2012, 8:48 am

Thanks for finding a solution to this problem. My 570 wouldn't charge from the dock after it was plugged into the plug on the side of the robot. It showed the exact same behavior as the video on the original post. I took a precision screwdriver and moved the flex contact around while blowing air into it. This fixed it for me. There must have been dust inside the housing that got pushed in between the two grounds and disconnected the charge pads. Cleared the dust, works like normal. I was a little scared that something serious was broke.
Tim - Started with Discovery SE in 2005. I now own:
- Roomba 960
- Roomba 570 with bin mod (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19321)
- Roomba 530
- Roomba 410 (burgundy)
- Used Scooba 5900
SE_machine
Robot Addict

Postby matthew1471 » May 3rd, 2012, 12:29 pm

I joined for a completely different reason, but just found this at the top of the forum.. a few months ago I had exactly this problem.

I unplugged the battery, then with no power to any of Roomba (I didn't want to short it) I prodded the jack with a screwdriver. Dock mounting worked again. Sounds like this problem is more common than we realise.
matthew1471

Postby SE_machine » May 3rd, 2012, 6:19 pm

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like dust is the main culprit for this issue. For my previous 3 Disco's, I've never seen this, but of course, I didn't own any of them for much more than a year due to something breaking. My first one blew the speaker, second one had a cliff sensor issue that wouldn't fix, and the third one the gears in the brush deck stripped out. I've had the 570 since the date in my signature with this issue being the only problem with it. Reliability went way up with the 500 series.

When you are messing with the power jack, I don't think there is a risk of shorting the battery, but removing the battery is still a good idea. Glad to hear your Roomba fixed just as easily as mine and a few others.
- Roomba 960
- Roomba 530
- Roomba 410 (burgundy)
- Used Scooba 5900
SE_machine
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » May 3rd, 2012, 6:40 pm

The 400 series bots do not rely on the jack to complete the dock circuit. They use diodes to "OR" the voltage from the dock contacts and jack. A broken jack would only show up if the robot could charge from the pads but not from the jack.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby SE_machine » May 3rd, 2012, 7:10 pm

That's right. I forgot about that. Seems iRobot switched to a simpler system.
- Roomba 960
- Roomba 530
- Roomba 410 (burgundy)
- Used Scooba 5900
SE_machine
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » May 3rd, 2012, 7:14 pm

Simpler but more prone to failure. Two extra diodes are cheap, not sure if it was a good idea.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby shirahbell » May 31st, 2013, 1:35 am

simple and dumb question - how do I tell which is the positive and which is the negative on the roomba battery so i can test it? I am having problems with the battery not getting a full charge even though it is a new battery. thanks
shirahbell

Postby vic7767 » May 31st, 2013, 10:19 am

Go here for some pictures of the battery and polarity markings: http://www.robot-doc.com/8.html
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby finallyhere2005 » May 28th, 2014, 12:00 am

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but my home base/roomba scheduler (4xxx) is exhibiting the same behavior. Does this trick with bending the contacts work on the 4xxx series? Seems all of the roombas in this thread are the 5xx series.
Thanks
finallyhere2005

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat