My Roomba does not detect connection to the docking base

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: My Roomba does not detect connection to the docking base

Postby shadowvfx » April 25th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Well dang. My Roomba 770 is having the EXACT same issues as described here; Working great one day, then suddenly it's getting "Charging Error 5" and won't charge on the dock anymore, but works fine when plugged into the port.

I decided to try messing with the power port as per TechGuy's post, but it didn't seem to fix the issue. Perhaps I didn't do the "fix" right, or perhaps it's something else? I think the next step would be to get the port out of the machine so I can work on it better and/or replace it. I started to disassemble the thing last night, but now I worry I might have to strip the Roomba down to nothing just to get access to this part. Is this the case?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I don't have a lot of free time to be messing with this, but I'm also a cheap SOB and hate to buy a new Roomba if this one is dang-near working with a tweak here or there.
shadowvfx

Postby a1robotrepair » April 25th, 2018, 3:18 pm

shadowvfx wrote:Well dang. My Roomba 770 is having the EXACT same issues as described here; Working great one day, then suddenly it's getting "Charging Error 5" and won't charge on the dock anymore, but works fine when plugged into the port.

Charging error 5 means it's getting contact with the Base, so, there is no problem with the charging jack on the side of the bot. Charging jack open contact and Base LED does not light and the bot won't dock on the Base.
Your problem may be as simple as cleaning the charging plates on the Base and bot.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby shadowvfx » April 25th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Charging error 5 was how it started. But after I let it sit for about a day the Roomba was dead. No lights, nothing. Then I took the Roomba and plugged it in with the side jack and saw it charging. Now it won't dock. It'll drive up to it and just keep shifting back and forth, but not make a connection. This is not an issue of cleaning the contacts. I cleaned those very thoroughly.
shadowvfx

Postby Brett » April 25th, 2018, 11:06 pm

1. Blow as hard as you can into the charge jack female opening (or use compressed air)
2. Plug the jack in and out (I do this on "rapid fire" with the power turned off) 5 or 6 times.
3. Blow again.
4. Repeat 2. & 3.
5. Bingo!

Works 99% of the time...
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby shadowvfx » April 30th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Yeah, no good. I wonder if I was too aggressive trying to bend the "spring" back on the power port? If the spring is connecting w/ the metal shaft in the middle of the power port, is that bad? I can't tell if it is or not, but it MIGHT be. I'll have to get a magnifier glass to see it better.

One of the other users on the previous page mentioned that once they removed the port they saw arcing and a burned out wire. I wonder if mine might have a similar issue? Though that would be weird since I've literally NEVER charged the Roomba via that port until experiencing this issue.
shadowvfx

Postby Brett » May 1st, 2018, 5:44 am

If you are able to (and never intend charging via the port) then open the Roomba cut and short out the black and brown wires.
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby shadowvfx » May 2nd, 2018, 2:25 pm

I think this is what I'm going to try next. Do you know of a good guide/video on how to tear down a Roomba to get to this part? I got this thing pretty well disassembled and still didn't see how to get access to this port.

I've found a lot of videos on how to take it apart to replace modules, but not many that show how to take it down near-completely.
shadowvfx

Postby leonicholson » May 13th, 2018, 8:57 am

Check my post:

"Roomba 595 not charging on dock?"

Worked for me.
leonicholson
Robot Groupie

Postby shadowvfx » June 3rd, 2018, 3:40 pm

Brett wrote:If you are able to (and never intend charging via the port) then open the Roomba cut and short out the black and brown wires.

I'm not an ace when it comes to wiring. Do I want to splice the brown and black wires coming from the connector or from the charging port?
shadowvfx

Postby vic7767 » June 3rd, 2018, 3:59 pm

When the wires are cut, the charging jack is no longer active but the wires heading to the main board will need to have the brown and black leads connected together.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby harby » June 3rd, 2018, 7:46 pm

shadowvfx wrote:
Brett wrote:If you are able to (and never intend charging via the port) then open the Roomba cut and short out the black and brown wires.

I'm not an ace when it comes to wiring. Do I want to splice the brown and black wires coming from the connector or from the charging port?

To clarify, if the charger brick will reliably charge the Roomba through the charging port on the side of the robot, but the dock either is never detected or doesn't seem to charge without errors, then the charging port internals in the robot may be at fault.

Inside Roomba, the wiring from the motherboard to the docking contacts goes through the jack. When there is no connector inserted, power is supposed to pass through the jack unimpeded. This dock connection is interrupted when the AC adapter is plugged in, so that only the jack can charge the robot. It is these contacts inside the jack that sometimes fail due to contamination or corrosion.

After picking any fuzzballs out of the port with a tiny pointy hook tool, the first solution is to get a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner, and blast the charging port on the side of the robot with cleaner, and dump the quick-drying cleaner out, repeat. After letting your robot dry, again insert the AC power adapter plug into the robot and wiggle it around. Then with your pokey-tool (toothpick?), probe in the jack and wiggle around the contact for the outside ring, which should rub through remaining corrosion. Try to charge again on the dock.

If you don't have another dock (to rule out possible dock malfunction), you can disassemble the robot enough to get to the jack, and measure the impedance with a voltmeter between the black and brown wires, which should read as 0 ohms (a short) when there is nothing plugged in. Plugging in an unpowered plug should break this connection, while unplugging restores connectivity. If the connection is flaky or failed, you can try to disassemble the jack to clean the internals or just replace it.

Bypassing and therefore disabling the jack, by cutting the black and brown wires in the robot and connecting them together, is the least ideal hack. If you know you will never try to dock while also using the charge port, you don't have to "bypass" the jack, you can instead connect the black and brown wires on the dock side of the jack so that both could work at the same time.

Also, don't jump in without ruling out the dock - clean the contact pads on both the robot and the dock with alcohol, or even scuff them up to bare metal with fine sandpaper.
Last edited by harby on June 3rd, 2018, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harby
Robot Groupie

Postby Brett » June 3rd, 2018, 9:14 pm

harby wrote:... what he said ...

So in summary:
Brett wrote:1. Blow as hard as you can into the charge jack female opening (or use compressed air)
2. Plug the jack in and out (I do this on "rapid fire" with the power turned off) 5 or 6 times.
3. Blow again.
4. Repeat 2. & 3.
5. Bingo!

Works 99% of the time...

and
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby shadowvfx » June 3rd, 2018, 10:14 pm

In case anyone else was in the same situation as myself, I got it working and here's what I did. I followed the alternative advice from some members here and disassembled my Roomba so that I could access the charging port cable. I then snipped the brown and black wires in the middle and soldered them together so that the brown and black cables formed loops at both ends.

I don't know if this is necessary to do it to both ends, but I just wanted to be certain and it took very little effort to do both. I am fortunate that I found a guide that that helped me disassemble my 700 series Roomba. Here's the link in case anyone else needs it.

http://www.robot-doc.com/11.html

Once I was able to get inside the Roomba and short out the black and brown wires, I reassembled the whole thing and tested it and it is working fine. I had never used that side charging port before and never intended to use it in the future, so the solution work well for me.

Edit: Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.
shadowvfx

Postby harby » June 3rd, 2018, 10:43 pm

Brett wrote:
harby wrote:... what he said ...

So in summary:
Brett wrote:1. Blow as hard as you can into the charge jack female opening (or use compressed air)
3. Blow again.
4. Repeat 2. & 3.
5. Bingo!

Works 99% of the time...

and

No, I'm adding previously unstated information to this thread...

#1:
For cleaning electrical contacts,

Image is better than Image

#2:
Jumping the jack's internal switch:

may be better than eliminating the jack:

(if you don't want a useless jack after your mod).
harby
Robot Groupie

Postby shadowvfx » June 3rd, 2018, 11:12 pm

Might have spoke too soon. Well, the Roomba now docks, but that charging error 5 has returned. After a few hours of charging it keeps giving me that error.

I used a multimeter on the power supply and it's showing 22 volts, but the docking station is only showing about 2.8 volts on the dock. Thing is, as part of my troubleshooting a few weeks back, I purchased a new docking station and it didn't fix the charging error 5 either. I'm not exactly sure what could be wrong now, but it might not be relevant to this thread anymore.
shadowvfx

Postby Brett » June 4th, 2018, 12:01 am

Not the same problem - Error 5 is the charging current (not voltage) is less then a threshold (400mA?) for 30+ minutes. It can be a battery problem (internal resistance is too high = charge current too low), it could be a charge supply problem, (brick or dock electronics failing to supply enough current), or (maybe least likely), the motherboard charge management has an issue.

(-8
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby shadowvfx » June 4th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Yeah, I know this is a different issue. I'll make a new thread about it so I don't derail this one. Thanks for the help with getting my Roomba to dock again. At least that part is done.
shadowvfx

Previous

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat