Roomba 5xx Series Lighthouse and Virtual Wall Information

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Roomba 5xx Series Lighthouse and Virtual Wall Informatio

Postby sliderjt » May 22nd, 2011, 8:24 am

Hi all. I have got a 570 Roomba that came with two virtual walls/lighthouses. No matter what I do, I cannot get the walls to activate. Sometimes they will activate but majority of the time they will not do anything, no green lights and the roomba will ignore them. Ive tried removing the batteries, resetting the Roomba itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks
sliderjt

Postby vic7767 » May 22nd, 2011, 11:09 am

When the batteries are first installed in the LH/VW the green led should flash a few times and then go off. When the Roomba is sent on a mission the led on the LH/VW should turn on. If that does not happen on both LH/VW accessories then the RF unit inside the Roomba nay be defective.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby sliderjt » May 22nd, 2011, 11:11 am

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way of testing this? As taking it back to the shop would be a big effort lol.
sliderjt

Postby vic7767 » May 22nd, 2011, 12:56 pm

sliderjt wrote:Thanks for the reply. Is there any way of testing this? As taking it back to the shop would be a big effort lol.

The reply contains the test.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby rttrek » July 15th, 2011, 7:16 pm

I have an unusual home layout, and would like suggestions on lighthouse placement for my 570. Given this layout, there are 4 rooms to clean, 3 of which form a loop. Rooms B and D are carpeted, while A and C hardwood, although that doesn't matter unless the area immediately beneath a lighthouse's beam gets minimal cleaning, in which case putting them at 2, 3 or 4 will result in a floor-type transition area being under cleaned. This is vastly simplified, with some additional virtual walls simply shown as walls here.

The obvious approach is a lighthouse across each gap; 1-4. Can the 570 understand when it finds the same lighthouse twice, once from each side?

Any suggestions that might reduce the number of lighthouses I need to buy? Perhaps instead of gaps 3 & 4, just one horizontally across the hallway next to 3?

Finally, one more question: will lighthouses work well using NMH rechargeable batteries, or should I stick with alkaline?
Attachments
roomba_layout.gif
roomba_layout.gif (3.76 KiB) Viewed 6699 times
rttrek
Founding Member

Postby sageman » July 16th, 2011, 5:41 am

i reckon
v/w at 1
l/h at 2 and 3

depending on room size c and d could be one room if to big a l/h at 4 would be necicery
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby rttrek » July 16th, 2011, 2:43 pm

What's the limit in sq ft on the size of a "room"?
rttrek
Founding Member

Postby sageman » July 16th, 2011, 5:55 pm

not quite sure on this but i dont think there's a limit
just the amount to be done in the time it spends in each area is 25 mins i think or less also be warned that its quite possible that in those 25 mins not all of each room (L/H to L/H) will be done depending on size but running roomba the next day for example will likely get those parts

also running roomba in that area you'll see if its ok or not
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby sdm1146 » August 26th, 2011, 1:29 pm

This is very helpful as I get my lighthouses set up. Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to use the information I've learned here to decide how to position my lighthouses to divide the main part of the house into 3 rooms for Roomba. My drawing is not to scale - the living room is significantly larger than the dining room so I'd rather the hall be part of the dining room "room" but can't see how to get enough distance between the lighthouses for that to work. Any ideas? I've used arrows to show the direction the lighthouses are facing, I'd love to have them almost back to back where the one at the bedroom door is now, but from all I read that's way too close.

Thanks for your input.

Sara

roomba rooms.jpg
roomba rooms.jpg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
sdm1146

Postby MarkProper » April 6th, 2012, 10:12 pm

I was hoping someone could help me with with these lighthouses.... I have a Roomba 780 with the LH/VW that came with it.

In the diagram, i have the homebase where the red heart is, and i'Ve put one lighthouse where the red star is, and another at the doorway to the smaller bedroom.

My problem is, I can't get it to cross the first lighthouse. It will clean the whole living room and kitchen without any problems for about half an hour or more. It will occasional wander near the first lighthouse and it does pause to do it's thinking, and will not cross it. But after a while, the vaccum will just start the docking procedure and not even bother to cross the first light house. There is more furniture but those are the main pieces, eg. large l shaped couch.

I have only had the roomba cross the first one once, and in that case i just took the batteries out of the second one. I'v run it 4 times now and it wont cross that first lighthouse no matter what, it just thinks it is done and eventually docks itself.

Note: Yes i have made sure the switch is set to LH mode, on both. I have test by leaving pieces of shredded paper behind when i leave in the hallway and bedrooms, can anyone help me with this? figure out why it's not crossing the LH like it should? i thought that was in it's programming that when it finds a LH it will cross it at some point.
Attachments
roombaLHplacement.jpg
MarkProper

Postby vic7767 » April 6th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Try switching LHs and see if this still occurs.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby MarkProper » April 8th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Thanks,

Ran some tests, it still doesn't seem to want to cross it. It sees it, and continues vacuuming the main part without crossing it, and eventually docks itself. Getting frustrated because that is the main area that needs to be cleaned.
MarkProper

Postby vic7767 » April 8th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Now would be the time to contact iRobot for a Roomba replacement. OOps, just thought about one other thing to try, attempt a system reset by removing then replacing the battery.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Tbot » July 2nd, 2012, 8:26 pm

if I am setting my VWLH in VW mode, how can i troubleshoot to make sure its working? today, the roomba just tried to go down the stairs pass the VW as if it doesn't exist.
Tbot

Postby Fraggboy » July 2nd, 2012, 8:51 pm

Tbot,

Welcome to Robot Reviews!!

You can check to see if the beams are being projected with a digital camera. All you have to do is look through it via your LCD screen to see if you see any light coming from it.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby Tbot » July 7th, 2012, 9:56 pm

on my original vw, i see the flickering purple light. on the white vwlh i bought separately, there's no purple light. i am not sure if it should as its rather different. the part # is IC2-ROOMBALH
is this compatible with my 562 pet series roomba?
Tbot

Postby vic7767 » July 7th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Tbot wrote:if I am setting my VWLH in VW mode, how can i troubleshoot to make sure its working? today, the roomba just tried to go down the stairs pass the VW as if it doesn't exist.

To test the VW/LH accessory, make sure the batteries are installed correctly. Then place the VW/LH near the Roomba and press the Clean button once. This will activate the Zigbee transceiver inside the Roomba that will turn on the RF signal that should make the LED on top of the LH/VW start flashing.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Tbot » July 11th, 2012, 4:11 pm

are the white vwlh compatible with the robots that uses the black vw? if not, any easy mod to fix it? otherwise i have 2 white vwlh for grabs.
Tbot

Postby vic7767 » July 11th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Yes, other than color, they are the same.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Tbot » July 12th, 2012, 6:13 pm

according to support from irobot my vwlh are defective, they said the green led on top of the units should remain lit when robot is on... mine flickers when you install the battery and that's all it does. i read some people selling the units on ebay claim those white ones aren't compatible.
Tbot

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat