Switch to full style
The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.
Post a reply

Re: Roomba 5xx Series Lighthouse and Virtual Wall Informatio

July 18th, 2012, 8:03 pm

ok, more reading i found this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12129&start=60
looks like i have a model that doesn't support LH

July 23rd, 2012, 7:09 am

Hello, Does anybody know how many lighthouses can be used with a Roomba 581?. Now I am using three, but I would like to add a fourth one to avoid entering in one area several times to shorten the running time, sometimes the battery discharges before cleaning all the rooms. Thanks.

July 23rd, 2012, 7:29 am

I've used 4 with no issues but if you want to clean a third room using a Lighthouse as a "gatekeeper" you'll be lucky to get 5mins worth of cleaning from the roomba (even with a big battery) in the 3rd room before it goes into docking mode.

August 2nd, 2012, 6:48 pm

So, I believe I need a dumb virtual wall (one that's constantly on with a IR beam, instead of activated by RF) Looking on ebay (don't feel like paying ~$45 for it) I see all sorts of vw, which ones are also the dumb ones besides the skinny black ones.

August 2nd, 2012, 7:33 pm

On the iRobot 500 parts and accessories page there are auto VWs and Lighthouse VWs. Any of the auto VWs will work. You might also consider the earlier Roomba models virtual wall accessory or even the Scooba VW. Although iRobot says they are not compatible between generations, the 4XX VWs will work with the 500, 600, and 700 model Roombas. You may have to experiment a little as to proper placement to get the best blocking effect.

May 30th, 2014, 11:30 am

Hi,

I just got my roomba 880 (i konw this is a thread about 5xx but I couldn't find one regarding the 8xx that concerns what I am about to ask) - I was wondering if you could help me:

If a roomba is set (released) manually to begin cleaning in a room which does not contain the home base and that room is separated by a Light House from the one that contains the home base - will the roomba, after it finishes the "first mentioned room" and passes the Light House, return to home base, or will it continue cleaning other rooms, separated by Light Houses as well??

May 30th, 2014, 1:59 pm

No matter what R3 Roomba model you have that is equipped with the RF board (for the Lighthouse Accessory) the operation is the same. Once a Lighthouse has been traversed, the Roomba may continue cleaning in another room (area) and if there is enough battery capacity it may continue into another room. Most of the cleaning area that would be done will basically depend on the battery capacity.

It your case with the 880, some experimental Lighthouse placement as well as where a cleaning session is started may help answer your questions.

March 24th, 2015, 7:49 am

I JUST got my roomba 880.. where's the best place for my Lighthouses ?
Attachments
Roomba House.jpg

March 24th, 2015, 7:56 am

Please don't post the same question to multiple topics.

April 7th, 2016, 7:15 pm

I would appreciate some input as I found some Scooba virtual walls on sale, and this thread seems on-topic:
From what I've read here, it seems that a Roomba will recognize Scooba's Virtual Wall.
Is that correct and applies to all Roombas series 5xx and above? Thanks in advance.
(Yes, I am aware of the inconveience that Scooba's VW needs to be turned on manually)

April 7th, 2016, 7:54 pm

They will work. Their beam and top IR transmitter are more powerful so your R will make a wider path around them.

April 7th, 2016, 8:41 pm

Thank you. That actually suits me well - as I plan to use it as I would use a HALO VW, to prevent Roomba from going next to pet bowls and their water fountain. Given the price (found them for 9EUR - approx 10USD) for a new one, I'll definitely go for it. I know it's a normal price in the USA, but here the cost usually triples.
Next step is to figure out how to convert it to stop using batteries :)

April 7th, 2016, 9:09 pm

You'll need greater than a four foot opening for your bot to pass that halo. I tape up the lens of a lighthouse and turn it into a 1 ft halo. 3 V power supply, the old ones using D cells last a long time on 1 set of batteries.

April 8th, 2016, 10:10 am

Those bowls and fountain are next to the wall, and almost in a corner - so I'll block the corner with pointing VW to the corner, and not into an actual passage/opening/doorframe. I assume the halo will keep Roomba off :mrgreen:
I have another 2 WL which came with Roomba and use them as wall/lighthouse.

I checked how to convert a VW to AC power... seems too much trouble (as I currently don't have a 3V adapter/power supply laying around) for not as significant save. Thanks!

April 8th, 2016, 3:23 pm

OK, just tried Scooba VW with Roomba 880.
Scooba VW seems to have significantly wider "beam" (as well as larger halo diameter) than my two black newer lighthouses (set in VW mode) which came packaged with Roomba.
Also, my Roomba seems a bit confused when it encounters Scooba's VW: it spins in circles in one spot, then goes 2cm further and continues to rotate in place etc. - I have tried that in several settings, with the same result. Not sure if that's normal as it never did it around 'normal' VWs.

April 8th, 2016, 3:29 pm

You'll need greater than a four foot opening for your bot to pass that halo.

Block the beam. Use only as a halo. Set it in the middle of the water feeding troughs and try it again.

April 8th, 2016, 3:34 pm

a1robotrepair wrote:Block the beam. Use only as a halo. Set it in the middle of the water feeding troughs and try it again.

[...searching for electrical tape...]
Done, works as a charm. I had to set it on one side (there's a strong chance my two daemon-cats would topple it in the fountain), but it does the job now. Thank you! :cheers:

April 8th, 2016, 3:57 pm

VW/L HALO 101
image.jpeg

April 8th, 2016, 5:24 pm

I wouldn't dare to ask why it says "celery" on the tape. It's a nice fashionable touch, though. :thumbup:

April 27th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Should these white 5xx series lighthouses (as the one pictured above) work normally with Roomba 880 or 7xx series? Or should I expect some differences from the 7xx/8xx series black ones? I plan to use them in wall mode only... Thanks
Post a reply