Roomba goes a few feet then turns

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba goes a few feet then turns

Postby ryano2121 » January 17th, 2009, 12:40 pm

My Roomba is going forward 2-4 feet, then turns and goes in a different direction. Once in a while it goes further, but for the most part it only goes a few feet. Any ideas?
ryano2121

Re: Roomba goes a few feet then turns

Postby arnard » January 17th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Does it walk like a mallard duck whose wife is in labor (side to side rotation pacing back and forth)? When mine did that it was having issues with wheel drop sensors.
arnard

Postby G3LHQ » January 17th, 2009, 4:10 pm

One of my 4xxx series does that sometimes It will travel for 3 or 4 feet then turns 180 degrees and travels for
another 3 or 4 feet then turns again 180 degrees and will repeat this action for about 4 minutes
cleaning the same piece of carpet over and over . I usually give it a kick then it seems to clear sometimes.
I have not got a clue why this happens ? It runs in a Straight line (no waddle)
cheers
Bob
Hire a teenager, while they still know everything.
G3LHQ
Robot Groupie

Postby mfortuna » January 17th, 2009, 5:05 pm

It may be having a problem with the bumper sensors. You should try running the diagnostics.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Morgan » January 19th, 2009, 11:03 am

Roomba will display this behavior if its front wheel is not turning. It "sees" the two-colored wheel - if the wheel is stuck Roomba thinks "not making forward progress", and tries another direction. Turn the robot over, and try turning the front caster wheel manually. If it doesn't spin freely, pry the wheel out and clean any hair or fibers that are wrapped around the axle. Reinsert it (pop it back in place), and see if the problem has been resolved.
Why doesn't the Looj get the love it deserves?
Morgan
Robot Groupie

Postby G3LHQ » January 19th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Morgan wrote:Roomba will display this behavior if its front wheel is not turning. It "sees" the two-colored wheel - if the wheel is stuck Roomba thinks "not making forward progress", and tries another direction. Turn the robot over, and try turning the front caster wheel manually. If it doesn't spin freely, pry the wheel out and clean any hair or fibers that are wrapped around the axle. Reinsert it (pop it back in place), and see if the problem has been resolved.

Thanks that seems to have done the trick, I also cleaned the white half as it had turned grey .
Cheers
Bob
Hire a teenager, while they still know everything.
G3LHQ
Robot Groupie

Postby dudzcom » March 3rd, 2012, 5:42 pm

I had the same problem. It was the front wheel, but it wasn't that it was jammed - it just had tons of dust lodged in it lodged between the wheel and the internal camera that watches the wheel spin.

Cleaning out that dust fixed the problem.
dudzcom

Postby Kartar » May 9th, 2017, 2:50 am

The front wheel has a sensor under it. This sensor reads the black and white wheel as it turns. Allowing the robot to know how far it has travelled. With out this info it thinks it has hit something and then stops changes direction and try's again. I had the same problem. I took a small blade down the side of the wheel to pry/pop it out. Below it was a lot of dog hair and dirt. Once cleaned out I popped the wheel back in and all is good now.
Kartar

Postby saba11 » May 9th, 2017, 8:48 am

I have the same problem with my Roomba 770 and can't think of a way to fix it. It was doing better earlier but something changed a few months ago.
saba11

Postby albey2k » December 31st, 2018, 9:13 pm

My Roomba has started to exhibit this behavior as well. The front wheel assembly was removed and cleaned so the wheel spins freely. Also, the sensor(s) underneath the front wheel were cleaned as well. Just wondering if both sensors should be clear or one clear and one dark?
Attachments
2018-12-31 14.08.20.jpg
albey2k

Postby vic7767 » December 31st, 2018, 11:05 pm

The sensor is referred to as the Stasis sensor and is a modification of the cliff sensor. It consists of an IR emitter and receiver. As the front wheel turns the IR signal is interrupted when the black portion of the wheel absorbs the IR signal and then detected once the white portion of the wheel reflects the IR signal. When the Stasis signal is not detected the Roomba will attempt to free itself from an assumed stuck condition.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Brett » January 1st, 2019, 9:25 pm

Even when fully blocked, those sensors will not inhibit the operation of the Roomba.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat