How to Mod the Green CHM

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: How to Mod the Green CHM

Postby dgcracker » July 30th, 2011, 8:24 am

Hi!

I have one question. In my roomba 560 robot I have Red CHM. Can I modify my red CHM the same way as green CHM? Is the bearings dimensions the same as in green CHM?
D.C.
dgcracker

Postby roboroomba » July 30th, 2011, 8:57 am

the red chm can be modded exactly the same way as the green one. One thing, the red chm is more prone to melting inside. Make sure it is not melted inside because ball bearings wont fix melted plastic around the pegs for the gears and stuff like that.
roomba 510, roomba 440, roomba 550 (parts bot), roomba red (programing robot)
roboroomba
Robot Addict

Postby Xamindar » July 31st, 2011, 3:38 am

Yes you can mod the red CHM. I personally never had any melting in the three red CHMs I have. I modded two of my red CHMs with the bearings and they both work great!
Xamindar
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » August 6th, 2011, 12:27 am

I've modded all 4 CHM styles and if they are operated while there is a large amount of debris buildup near the brush gear ends then heat damage can occur. The 4 CHMs are Red, Black, Green, and Gray.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby iMayne » August 11th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Gordon wrote:I don't drift through this thread very often, but as I did so today this post caught my eye.
iMayne wrote:
TechGuy wrote:Using a 30A ammeter to measure 0.1A - 0.3A!!

I see nothing wrong with that.
That response tells me that you are not concerned with accuracy of measured values. Attempting to measure current the way you have shown with your power supply meters is, ahem, ridiculous.

Reporting such measurements to customers borders on the untruth. Surely you are aware that galvanometer meter movements are typically calibrated only at the full-scale reading. Readings at all lower parts of the scale are subject to progressively increasing inaccuracy. If trying to read a value between the zero point and first minor division marker your interpolated number could be far from the actual value of the quantity being observed.
This meter has a section for 3A only.
Why not use that 3A-F.S. range? If doing so, a 0.20A current would be at least resolved by two minor divisions of scale!

IMO, those cheapo PSU meters are only useful for indication, and should be backed up by DMMs monitoring voltage and current when data are to be published.

Well, no need to comment since that's your opinion! Analog or Digital, I still get my correct readings. Regarding "cheap", again you can say what you want.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby TPynchon » September 18th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Just wanted to express my thanks to vic7767. I ordered the bearings for the black CHM from him on Monday, received them Wednesday, and installed them without incident today (and I'm not all that good at repairing things). The thumping is gone and my Roomba 560 is back in action, with a modded black CHM.
TPynchon

Postby vic7767 » September 18th, 2011, 6:14 pm

It's Great when a plan comes together ! :cheers:
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby keybounce » October 2nd, 2011, 11:19 pm

Alright, I looked over the first page, and this is not something that I can do myself.

Since I'm down to choosing between the roomba 7xx with this mod, or the neato with a filter mod, or waiting til next year when the improved neato is available, I'd like to know what the cost would be to get this mod done for me.
keybounce

Postby vic7767 » October 3rd, 2011, 12:13 am

You can go to my website for that info.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby sniiki » November 9th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Does anyone know where to get sealed bearings that LAST? I purchased modded CHM from Vic and it worked great for a while but then one time I was cleaning brushes, those sealings came off in pieces (This is by no means an offense but they just dont seem to last). I purchased another set of bearings from rc-bearings.com with outer side sealed and inner side steel covered. Biggest bearing lost its seal within one week. I clean roomba's brushes after every run.
This issue makes the mod quite useless and just causes even more work with regular bearing changes...
sniiki

Postby Fraggboy » November 9th, 2011, 2:28 pm

I wouldn't say that the modification is useless. It's just the poor product, in which Vic7767 doesn't have any control over.

I'm sure that once we find a sealed bearing that will actually last, the modification will last longer.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » November 9th, 2011, 2:28 pm

You might consider checking for the build-up of debris next to the rubber seals on the ball bearings. That build-up generates heat which is the main cause of early seal failure. Sometimes this debris is packed against the end of the brushes and the ball bearings and may need to be removed during a cleaning cycle instead of after a cleaning cycle. This may be an inconvenience but will help extend the usefulness of the bearing mod.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby sniiki » November 10th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Like said, I'm not blaiming Vic for this at all and sure am grateful to him for presenting this mod in the first place!
Just want to find a way to get this gizmo to operate without constant fixing.
I know that I can get those bearings last longer by cleaning it every now and then but my goal is to make this more maintenance free, not to increase maintenance tasks. I rather just buy a new CHM once a year than clean the ball bearings several times during roomba's cleaning cycle.
I managed to slow down the hairs rushing into the biggest bearing by adding a soft fabric seal like in following pics.
Similar sealing didn't do any good with the smaller brush & bearing. It's just crappy MacGyvering tho and that sealing will also wear off pretty quickly I'd think...
Attachments
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG
sniiki

Postby vic7767 » November 10th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Here's a mod I'm working on to block the build-up of debris around the front of the bearing surface. It consists of 700 model brushes and some rubber grommets.
Attachments
bearing_blocker.gif
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby bondfrenchbond » November 27th, 2011, 2:28 am

How are the rubber grommets holding up? Is it necessary to swap out the regular brushes for the 700 model brushes to fit these babies?
bondfrenchbond

Postby vic7767 » November 27th, 2011, 11:40 am

So far so good. The mod seems to be working but I want to run a few more missions to be sure. The 700 brushes are built with different end cap bushings so to take advantage of the better seal it is better to use them instead of the stock 500 brushes.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mr_samuel » December 20th, 2011, 11:11 am

Has anyone noticed that one of the 700 series maintenance videos seems to show a new green CHM, made in the same style as the gray CHM?

I'm curious to see what anyone here knows about it, and whether this CHM is just the replacement CHM for the 700 series, or if they updated the design for the 500 series to match the 700.
Attachments
chm.jpg
mr_samuel

Postby jbizub5192 » January 23rd, 2012, 12:20 am

I just did this mod and it seems to be great except for now I am getting the clunking noise from the brush deck. What could be causing the clunking noise? When I finished installing the bearings the new modded chm seemed only slightly harder to turn then then before I started, but not so much tighter. I wasn't so concerned only because things will loosen up a little once it wears a bit. Thanks
jbizub5192

Postby mfortuna » January 23rd, 2012, 12:44 am

You may have an alignment issue with the bearings. I had this problem on a 400 series conversion. The large bearing for the main brush was not quite centered and caused drag due to poor gear mesh. After a while the gears wore a bit and the brush deck freed up.Hopefully yours will too.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » January 23rd, 2012, 12:55 am

The Roomba has a software feature that monitors the amount of power that is provided to spin the brushes. When the brush motor consumes more power than normal then the software reacts by stopping the brushes momentarily, then reversing the brush direction and then stopping the brushes again and reversing direction again. This maneuver is attempted as a way to un-tangle the brushes since the software is attempting to protect the brush motor from burning up due to wires that may be caught in the brush deck assembly. This process causes the clunking noise.
vic7767
Robot Master

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat