How to Mod the Green CHM

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: How to Mod the Green CHM

Postby mfortuna » January 25th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Since you own both vic7767, what is harder to tear down, a roomba 400 series or a Neato?
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » January 25th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Hands-down the Neato. And after just a few removals of the LCD ribbon cable from the PCB it becomes easily damaged. The cabling is not as hardy as the Roomba.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jbizub5192 » January 26th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Hey vic I just wanted to let you know that I got the new bearings today and they feel much better then the other ones! I also got a 14 battery and im going to test the chm the way it is now with the old bearings and then again with the new ones. I think this is going to fix the problem. Thanks again
jbizub5192

Postby kaimanson » January 27th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Hey Vic!, thanks a lot for the Mod regarding the CHM for roombas 500 series. Found this forum a few weeks ago, since then I have been checking out stuff. I just did the bearing mod on one of my roombas (550) and so far so good. Didn't like so much the flagged bearing for the rubber roller, but it runs great, so that's what matter. Noise when down and it feels that it runs more smooth. Gotta do it now on a 565 and 530. =D By any chance do you know any place to get batteries for cheap?...the lowest i can find it is $29 @ amazon 3.3Ah.

thank again brother!
kaimanson

Postby vic7767 » January 27th, 2012, 4:27 pm

The flanged sealed bearing is 6x10x3mm and is intended to be installed on the brush motor gear, not the rubber brush. The only difficulty some owners have run into is they neglect to remove the plastic rim ring inside the brush gear case prior to attempting to install the flanged bearing. If the raised plastic ring is not removed then the bearing sits up too high and the plastic cover will not seat properly. In other words, the surface that the flanged bearing sits on must be flat and the round raised plastic circle must be cut away so that the bearing seats down flush with the surrounding plastic surface.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Zian » March 1st, 2012, 6:31 pm

Today, I tried taking apart the CHM using the instructions and ran into a problem when I tried to reassemble the CHM.

I found that after putting the green CHM into the blue frame, I could not get my solitary paddle board screw to go in. For a while, I thought I had simply lost the correct screw. Then, I went to a local hardware store (not Home Depot; I'll add the name if it isn't considered spamming) where the person there got stumped too despite trying multiple screws.

After a while, we discovered that I had to hold the board down in position with a finger while he screwed in the correct screw.

Consequently, if at all possible, I would like to add the following remarks to the instructions:

Hold the paddle board down with one finger while screwing in the screw.

Troubleshooting:
If the screw does not go in, try removing the green portion of the CHM & paddle board. Then try putting the screw through the blue frame.
    If the screw does not go through, you have the wrong screw.
    If the screw does go in, then make sure the paddle board is positioned correctly and push down hard on the board while screwing in the screw.
Zian

Postby vic7767 » March 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm

I always leave the screw in place and just loosen it enough to allow the paddleboard to come out. The newer Green CHMs with a single screw securing the paddleboard has to be inserted with the non-screw side inserted first and then slid into place then the screw tightened.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Naffer » May 30th, 2012, 11:50 am

So despite quarterly cleanings my green CHM finally developed melted plastic under a gear pin. I've noticed that some ebay sellers mention explicitly that new grey CHMs for the 700 series from irobot fit the 500 series as well. Has anyone verified this by putting one in a 500 series, and does the new CHM and brush set last longer in general? This is the part I'm looking at http://store.irobot.com/product/index.j ... age=family (though I'm not sure if it comes with the brushes that are in that pic.)
Naffer

Postby vic7767 » May 30th, 2012, 11:55 am

The 700 model CHMs will fit into the 500 model Roombas. The CHM still suffers from the entry of debris into the gear case but at a slower rate. I do offer modified 700 model CHMs on my website.
Attachments
greyCHM.gif
Last edited by vic7767 on May 30th, 2012, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby iMayne » May 30th, 2012, 12:00 pm

The grey CHM comes with both brushes on the iRobot website.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby eghamhigh » February 26th, 2013, 7:04 am

Sadly imayne is not trustworthy. I sent him my CHM and £39 so that he could modify it. He has done nothing except to promise me that he would return it to me. This has been going on since 29 January.
eghamhigh

Postby Mogy2003 » April 30th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Hi Vic,
I have read all thru the 'how to mod green chm' looking for possible help in modding my model 4210, with a black chm without bearings and possibly my red 400 series (2 button) with a yellow chm, no bearings. I am game to trying to do the bearing mod myself and want to make sure I get the correct ones for each of the chm's. Both of my bots are making terrible clacking noises and there is tremendous play in the gears, causing slipping, and grinding. The gears have not been damaged and with continual running they will be, so now is the time. Its weird that I keep reading that the black chm's came with bearings, since mine does not have them. Did I read something wrong? Anyway, I live not too far from one of the bearing places mentioned and could probably go pick the correct ones up if they even have them.
Thanks, you have been such a wealth of info!
Mogy2003

Postby vic7767 » April 30th, 2013, 4:32 pm

This thread contains info about the 500, 600, and 700 Cleaning Head Module that contains the Brush Deck. When discussing the 4X model Roombas the reference of the Red, Black, Green, and Grey CHMs is totally different than the color of the 4X brush decks. In the case of all the 4X model decks no matter the color, the sealed bearing set is the same. Just remember that the small rubber brush gear will not require any filing down of the gear diameter to install the sealed bearing onto it.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Mogy2003 » April 30th, 2013, 9:06 pm

O.K. thanks for your quick reply. Is there a thread for inserting/ installing bearings into the 4000 series or 4x series? I had trouble finding it, maybe I am not doing a correct search. Also, I guess the bearings would be the same for both decks that I mentioned (?) If so, Is there a particular size I need to look for? or a size that is the best for this mod? I have seen several sizes. The brush hole on my 4210 measures 17.3, would that mean I go to an 18 and make the hole larger or down to 17 and glue it? and what about the inner sizes and thickness, I guess, are these standard? Just a bit of guidance...
Thanks
Mogy2003

Postby vic7767 » April 30th, 2013, 9:17 pm

The process of installing the sealed bearings is the same no matter what brush deck is being modified. Here is a link to the basic disassembly procedure: http://www.robot-doc.com/14.html

I use the same size bearings in the 4X models that are used in the 5X, 6X, and 7X brush decks.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Roombascoobatastic » May 12th, 2013, 2:14 am

I just installed the bearing kit on my fairly new Roomba 770. I was able to find the bearings at the local hobby store for $30, enough to do two CHMs, including the side brush module. I should note that there was not a single spec of dust or strand of hair in the gearbox after over a month's use. There was black grease that I suspect is the metal axles giving off metal dust as they spin.

I wanted bearings mainly for smoothness of operation and possibly enhanced durability. It took me just over two hours to do it right, working very carefully. I used an exacto knife instead of a file, which worked well to remove the extra rings on the gears and made quick work of machining the gear down to size. I finished off with a miniature file. One tip is when you are putting the gear into the drill, set it over and over until it spins in the chuck without wobbling. It has to be tightened in the chuck just right or it will end up out of round or offset, which could seize the gearbox.

Since installing these 4 bearings, my Roomba now has a more noticeably sophisticated, expensive-sounding whirr, instead of the cheap plastic on plastic,chunky, taxed-motors sound from before. I put the Roomba on a glass table to see if the added drag of the bearings was causing the deck to lift. I suspected correctly, as it was lifting about 1/8" when the motor started. To solve this, I glued a heavy brass washer to the grey plastic near the motor to add weight to the deck, enough to keep it down when on hard floor, and it now lifts correctly on the carpets.

One problem I have is that with a bearing now installed in the side brush, the brush locks up when the screw is tightened. If loosened slightly, it turns freely. It is flush with the top of the blue plastic... Any ideas what is happening, how to fix?

cheers :cheers:
Sincerely,

Rick
Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor

Postby mfortuna » May 12th, 2013, 7:20 am

If your deck is lifting it is a sign there is something hindering free movement. Bearings should make this better, not worse. One of the three 400 series I converted to bearings had a lift issue and it was because one of the holes in the deck was off center after being enlarged.

The side brush bearing may be too thick.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Roombascoobatastic » May 12th, 2013, 12:25 pm

The bearings do add drag, the rubber seal makes it harder to turn, but not by much. The deck height adjustment mechanism is calibrated to original specs, and the tiny bit of drag from adding rubber sealed bearings is enough to lift the deck just a touch, which affected cleaning performance on hard flooring. (Brushes not contacting floor). Also, my gears are perfectly aligned. Anyway, it works perfectly now, with a weight glued to the top of the deck beside the motor.
Sincerely,

Rick
Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor

Postby vic7767 » May 12th, 2013, 12:33 pm

If the bearings are properly installed the added load will only generate about .15 amps of additional load which when added to the non-modified brush decks .15 amps will only become .30 amps. That additional load will not lift the brush deck from the two mechanical stops on the bottom of the deck. The deck will begin to rise when the load exceeds .5 amps.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Roombascoobatastic » May 13th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Hey Ed... I had an extra medium bearing and decided to try and see if it would fit in the yellow end cap of the main brush... By fluke, it fit perfectly with a nice tight press fit. The small plastic retaining ring is removed from the brush and the bearing fits right over the end of the brush, like a glove. Now, I'm wanting to add a bearing to the rubber brush as well, but the end of that brush is different. I could turn it down and put a small (chm motor gear) sized bearing on it, and since that bearing fits right into the medium sized bearing, which fits perfectly into the yellow cap with a nice fit. Can you put a bearing into a bearing? Or is there a bearing available with the diameter of the spindle and outer diameter if the medium bearing?
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by Roombascoobatastic on May 13th, 2013, 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sincerely,

Rick
Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat