Virtual wall

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Virtual wall

Postby vincevg » October 13th, 2009, 11:41 am

Hi,

What is the code in use for IR virtual WALL ? RC5 ?

Thank's
Vince VG
vincevg

Re: Virtual wall

Postby soopy » October 13th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Try having a read here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1178
soopy

Postby vincevg » October 14th, 2009, 11:37 am

Thank's soopy but :mrgreen: ,

I'm studying the "Roomba 560". And I have some signals that resemble those of RED* but occasionally I have some much longer sequences (I can not view them properly with my oscilloscope).
I repeated my question more precisely, someone there any information about these IR signals (virtual wall) for 560 ?

Vince

* An "ON" is a 38khz PWM signal.
Each byte is 8 bits.
Each bit is 4 ms long.
A 0-bit consists of a 1 ms ON followed by 3 ms OFF.
A 1-bit consists of a 3 ms ON followed by 1 ms OFF.
The end of a byte is marked by 4 ms OFF.
Vince VG
vincevg

Postby vic7767 » October 14th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Is this question about a Light House Virtual Wall in Virtual Wall mode?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby vincevg » October 14th, 2009, 1:10 pm

yes vic7767, but in lighthouse mode the signal seems to be the same.
Vince VG
vincevg

Re: 5XX Virtual wall

Postby Gordon » October 14th, 2009, 2:44 pm

vincevg, you may have answered your question:
vincevg wrote:What is the code in use for IR virtual WALL ? RC5 ?
If not, I would say NO, iRobot does not appear to be using any commercial R/C code.

I've been looking at these IR COMM codes, on and off, for some time, but have not delved into the 5XX realm, until your thread showed up. So, I geared up to sample my 535's LHWV's Force Field signal (it being easiest to set up). I'm talking about the omni emitter at top.

I just strapped the omin-receiver from an old 2XXX Roomba onto the top of the LH. First, here is a 2.8-seconds sampling of the detected signal. I show it because I think the non-uniformity of byte distribution is odd:
2.8sLH-VWforceField.jpg

However, by zooming in on any of those bytes, I see the same word, such as this:
OneByteLH-VWforceField.jpg

At this stage the byte is upside down, IOW, 5V = LO, and 0v = HI. So, if one mentally flips the wave over, it is easier to decode the pulses (in the manner you have revealed above) as: 01011001. What does that mean?

If we go to the 5XX Open Interface UM, there is a table (starting on page 22) titled "Characters Sent By iRobot Devices", giving us some power to answer that. That table also contains 4XXX codes! At the end of the table, on p.23, we see a line saying: "Roomba 500 Virtual Wall Lighthouse {code=} 0LLLL0BB"; and, in the RH column the means for parsing that byte description are given.

The two zeros in that word are always zero. The "LLLL" bits identify the particular LHVW. Trailing bits "BB", are of interest to this post, since they define which, of four possible, IR beam has been sensed. The two bits for Force Field are '01', and that is what we see ending 01011001.

Does all that help? Or not?
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby vincevg » October 16th, 2009, 6:40 am

Yes, it helps me a lot.

Thank you Gordon.

In fact I had not seen the inversion and by the time I got 2 frames in a row.
Trame longue 2.jpg
Trame longue 2.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 2885 times

Do you know why it is still unbound ?

Vince
Vince VG
vincevg

Postby Gordon » October 16th, 2009, 10:46 am

vincevg wrote:Yes, it helps me a lot. ...Thank you Gordon.
You are welcome. It was interesting 'research'.
...Do you know why it is still unbound ?...
Sorry, but I do not. I only "know" what the OI pdf says!

It appears that your 560 is able to RF command your VWLH ("Virtual Wall Lighthouse", (OI word order)), to its ON state, but fails to "assign" it; or, the robot may simply finds it is unnecessary to give it a unique ID.

How many VWLHs do you have on hand? Perhaps, Roomba-560/570 are programmed to only assign IDs to VWLHs when more than one reports its presence(?).

Regards;
---Gordon
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby vincevg » October 16th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Hello,
I just come to test with 2 VWLH and that not change anything. I will test when the romba moves but tomorrow because I have no more battery.

Vince
Vince VG
vincevg

Postby vincevg » October 17th, 2009, 6:44 am

Hello,
Now i've carried out tests close to real operation with 2 VWLH. I've launched a cycle of cleaning with and successively passed the 2 virtual walls in front of Roomba. Without success. It always indicates an unbound code.
:(
I don't know what i can try now.

Vince
Vince VG
vincevg

Postby mfortuna » October 17th, 2009, 7:55 am

If you read this section from the 500 series lH info link in the read me first topic:

When a robot encounters a lighthouse that it detects with its infrared (IR) sensors, the robot will "ping" the lighthouses via radio frequency (RF) and it looks for a response via IR. (If you have ever seen a robot pause in front of a lighthouse, this is what it is doing.) Once the robot can associate an RF signal with a particular lighthouse the robot will enumerate that lighthouse and this is how the robot starts to build a “guidebook” of what room it is in and how many rooms it will have to clean and how many lighthouses it will have to pass in order to make it back to the dock. The robot repeats this procedure for every LH that it meets (even if the lighthouse is in virtual wall mode). Once the robot has made this association the lighthouses and the robot are paired and the lighthouses will not turn on for any other robot until the lighthouse's batteries are removed and replaced.

It states the robot only knows how many LHs to pass on its way back. That seems to imply it doesn't care about the lhe id, but only its presence?
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vincevg » October 17th, 2009, 8:21 am

Thank's mfortuna,

that's what I tried to reproduce via the virtual wall in front of the robot. But I'll try again real soon as I completely reassembled the robot.

Vincevg
Vince VG
vincevg

Postby Gordon » October 17th, 2009, 11:13 am

mfortuna wrote:If you read this ...
...Once the robot can associate an RF signal with a particular lighthouse the robot will enumerate that lighthouse and ...
Good reference, Mike!
It states the robot only knows how many LHs to pass on its way back. That seems to imply it doesn't care about the lhe id, but only its presence?
So, the question becomes: "Where else -- other than in the LLLL bits -- could a LH store that 'enumeration' data?". Notice that the OI-Manual defines the decimal value of the LLLL bits as: "1-10: Valid ID". Implying that when: LLLL_dec is in the range of one to ten, inclusive, that number is the LH's ID.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » October 18th, 2009, 2:47 am

Vince, I have data that shows my 535 enumerates my VWLH when Roomba visits the VWLH.

My VWLH is set to VW-mode. To obtain the following scope data I taped an old Roomba-IRM touching the VWLH's omni-lens/light-pipe to sample the Force Field signal. I also taped a photo-transistor next to the omni lens, so I could sample the radiant Force Field signal being emitted. This kluge of a setup was checked out on a bench top (while Roomba ran around on the floor), where Roomba could not IR-communicate with it. These are the signals obtained during checkout:
VWLH_onBenchB4enumern.jpg

Notice that I vertically flipped the jpg before annotating it.

In this case we see that the VWLH's ID is 11 decimal, which means 'unbound'.

I then moved the VWLH and attached sensors down to floor level. Roomba, with some help, came face to face with the VWLH and I could see the LH's activity LED pulsing, as some conversation occurred.
That resulted in the following changes to the byte:
VWLH_onFloorEnumerated.jpg

We now see that an ID of 5 decimal had been assigned.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » October 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Great job on grabbing that info Gordon. One question, did you remove and then install the batteries in your LH/VW prior to this attempt?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » October 18th, 2009, 12:35 pm

vic7767 wrote:...One question, did you remove and then install the batteries in your LH/VW prior to this attempt?
No. That was Plan-B, in case there had been no assignment! The 535 would have also been given a power-cycle reset.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby vincevg » October 29th, 2009, 7:46 am

Thank's Gordon.
Vince VG
vincevg

Postby vincevg » February 25th, 2010, 9:45 am

Does anyone know how can i modify the VWL to emit code unbound continuously even if the Roomba did not lit ?(and did not send the radio code) ?
Vince VG
vincevg

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat