Left wheel on roomba not turning?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Left wheel on roomba not turning?

Postby Lin » December 14th, 2009, 6:21 pm

The left wheel of my roomba isn't turning so when I turn the roomba on, it just spins to the left for a bit and then beeps at me. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how to fix it? Thanks
4 cats + 2 dogs + 2 horses + 2 rats - roomba = Pet hair free house!
Lin

Re: Left wheel on roomba not turning?

Postby mfortuna » December 14th, 2009, 6:31 pm

If it is a 400 series it could be a broken drive belt. For either 400 or 500 series it could be a bad motor. Try turning each wheel by hand to see if the left wheel takes a different amount of force than the right wheel. You can check the read me first on how to run diags to further pinpoint the issue.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » December 14th, 2009, 8:10 pm

If it is a 500 model then go to my website to the "How Do I" section. There is info on how to test your drive wheel motor.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Lin » December 14th, 2009, 11:48 pm

How do I know what series it is? Its a roomba discovery.
Lin

Postby mfortuna » December 15th, 2009, 7:52 am

That is a 400 series. There is a good chance a drive belt failed. You can get one at a hardware store. You will have to take the robot apart. Check the read me first sticky for info on how to do that.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Lin » December 26th, 2009, 2:06 am

Sorry I meant to say roomba scheduler.... But that is the discovery series so same thing right? Ugh this is so frustrating. My ex roommate threw the box my roomba was in across the room. I'm going to take her to small claims court for things of mine she ruined, like she cut the cord on my radiator and her dog chewed up my best coat (which had sentimental value as a gift from my mom). Sounds like I may be adding my roomba to that list of things I want to be paid for...
Lin

Postby mfortuna » December 26th, 2009, 9:35 am

Good thing she is an ex-roommate.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Lin » October 4th, 2017, 7:13 am

So I never got a chance to repair my roomba and Scooba. I'm sure at this point I need new batteries for them, so that's up first. From my memory the roomba only turned to the left and then an alarm song went off. What are all possible problems? I'm looking for all possibilities before I go opening it up.

So if it's a drive belt I can find a new one at a hardware store? I don't need to purchase from irobot?

How do I tell if it's the motor? Im not sure I understand the part about spinning the wheels, if one takes more force what is that a sign of? If it's a motor issue, is that something I could buy a for parts roomba scheduler off ebay and replace myself, or something that needs experience and know how to do?

I was thinking about finding another scheduler off ebay. That way I'll have a battery for my existing one, and if I get it to work I'll buy a second battery and have 2 of them to run. I just don't have the money for the newer options out there, I'm disabled on extremely low income. That's why I invested in the roomba in the first place, to help stay independent. But since it broke I haven't been living alone and thus had someone to vacuum for me . I'm back alone again so I need the help! Especially as I have 2 German Shepherd service dogs (one washed out of public access and only performs tasks at home) and they are a hugely shedding breed. With my asthma I'd like to get back to running the roomba daily to keep up with the hair, and my deep cleaning vacuum when I can.
Lin

Postby mfortuna » October 5th, 2017, 7:17 am

If the belt is bad you will get less wheel resistance. If a transistor on the board is bad you will get more resistance. The transistor will act like a brake. If the board is bad it may be best to find a parts bot. If the belt is broken you can find a O-ring at a hardware store that will work. The O-ring is not ideal since it is no as supple as the original belt. Irobot doesn't sell replacement parts that are internal to the Robot.

It is also possible the wheel is gummed up with debris and will need to be opened up and cleaned.

Check the read me first topic on how to run diags. It may help pinpoint the issue.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Lin » October 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm

OK I tested turning the wheels, I didn't do anything special just flipped the bot upside down and turned them. The right side (when upside down, so left when flipped upright) might be harder to turn? I'm giving the old battery a shot at charging. It says it's charging anyway, if it does then I can start figuring out more before waiting on a new battery. Unfortunately my Scooba battery doesn't seem to be faring as well, it doesn't charge for long before it stops. Meanwhile the roomba light is still showing charging.
Lin

Postby Lin » October 9th, 2017, 11:31 am

Where is the read me first topic? I can't find it. And the 400 series diagnostics is gone. I click on the link and get sent to a Verizon sign in page. Reading down in the thread someone says instead to go read posts by a certain member. I found a link titled posts from that user in the 4xx roomba how to section, but it's dead too and comes up forbidden.
Lin

Postby mfortuna » October 9th, 2017, 11:38 am

Sorry about that. Here is a link I found:

http://loetmeister.de/Elektronik/roomba ... _TESTS.pdf
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Lin » October 10th, 2017, 5:37 am

Sooo, I didn't get to run diagnostics yet. The battery actually charged up, but I don't think lasted long. Anyway I hit clean and was getting an error beep, but I removed the battery and popped it back in and tried hitting spot. This time it did that same thing, where the left wheel doesn't want to turn so it just sort of started to turn towards the left before stopping and beeping. I turned it off, and later noticed a red light flashing. So I went to put it back on the charger to run diagnostics when I have time, but now both the lights on the dock flash? Power light is steady green when not docked, but docking the bot and both lights flash while the power button blinks red.
Lin

Postby mfortuna » October 10th, 2017, 7:35 am

I think that indicates a charging issue. The battery may be bad. You run the risk of damaged charging transistors (U2/U4) so hopefully they are still good.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Lin » October 15th, 2017, 4:52 am

Gah. I wish I had an external charger.
Lin

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat