Will robots derail my plans for hardwoods in the kitchen?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Will robots derail my plans for hardwoods in the kitchen?

Postby brooke11112 » December 16th, 2009, 12:58 am

I'm looking at putting hardwoods downstairs. Tonight, I had a horror thought. Hardwoods will be higher than the linoelum currently in the kitchen What if the hardwoods cause Roomba or Scooba to get stuck under the kitchen cabinets every time they run. I could PROBABLY do the pool noodle solution when i ran scoobie, but I absolutely refuse to put pool noodles down every night before I go to bed so that rosie can run without interference --Rosie Roomba comes out every night, and I refuse to have hardwoods unless Rosie can do the daily maintenance.

Anyone else run into this problem with a remodel? Anything i can do ahead of time to make sure that scoobie/rosie don't get caught under there?

EBS
brooke11112
Robot Groupie

Re: Will robots derail my plans for hardwoods in the kitchen?

Postby dstewart » December 16th, 2009, 1:37 am

Robot Add-Ons' bumper extender might do the trick:
http://www.robotaddons.com/bumper_extenders.html
dstewart

Postby mfortuna » December 16th, 2009, 8:24 am

I'm not sure what to search for but this topic has been covered before. One idea is you could remove rosie's bumper cover, add spacers between the bumper cover and bumper, and reattach using longer screws.

Or using double sided tape you could stick a piece of lexan all the way around the bumper so the lexan protrudes above the bumper.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » December 16th, 2009, 1:09 pm

brooke11112 wrote:... Anything i can do ahead of time to make sure that scoobie/rosie don't get caught under there? ...
Be sure to maintain the under cabinet toe-kick height at more than 3.5 inches.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12152&p=69870&hilit=height+bumper+inches#p69870

Watch out for bottom-drawer rollers, since some (probably older) of them hang below the woodwork by as much as 0.2-inch.
Gordon
Robot Master

Re: Will robots derail my plans for hardwoods in the kitchen

Postby RTC » June 6th, 2019, 9:58 am

peterjordene wrote:If you looking for derail for hardwoods in the kitchen, There are many websites for getting this information. Keep giving updates.

Do you actually mean that there are many websites that will provide information on how to make certain that a cleaning robot will make it impossible to install hardwood floors in a kitchen??? That is the meaning of "derail my plans" = make impossible my plans. The word "derail" as used here is an English Language idiom for "make impossible" or "cause a disaster with".
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Re: Will robots derail my plans for hardwoods in the kitchen

Postby George Jetson » June 8th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I guess I don't see the problem; the robot will either fit under your cabinets or it won't. The only way the robot gets stuck is if the height of the toe-kick is not uniform...i.e. a section of the toe-kick is tall enough to allow Rosie underneath of it, then constricts to trap her. Even then, that doesn't guarantee she gets stuck as she could extricate herself. You don't say which robot you have, but I find my 960 is much better than my old 560 at A) avoiding those situations in the first place, and B) extricating herself when she does get "pinched".
You could also measure the existing toe-kick height then calculate the anticipated height of the toe-kick after installation of the new floor. Compare this to the height of your Rosie and you'll have a rough idea of whether or not you'll even have a problem. I think your bigger issue may come if Rosie won't fit under the toe-kick at all: her side brush will not be able to reach all the way under there....
We did something similar a few years ago - installing ceramic tile in the place of linoleum - and had no issues - but obviously every situation is different when you're talking remodeling. :angry-cussingblack: :doh: :pray: :D
Good luck!
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat