Rug Cleaning Robot

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Rug Cleaning Robot

Postby swbtmis » January 18th, 2010, 1:47 am

Is there any product/robot that can be used to CLEAN a carpet?

I dont mean a vacuuming one, but a rug shampoorer?

if not can a roomba be used with any kind of DRY product that can shampoo a carpet?
swbtmis
Robot Groupie

Re: Rug Cleaning Robot

Postby mfortuna » January 18th, 2010, 10:04 am

Way back when, it may have been on the yahoo group that is now defunct, a user tried one of the dry carpet cleaning products with a roomba. It sort of worked but left the roomba a mess. The user had to use a regular vacuum to finish the job.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 1st, 2017, 2:41 pm

I have studied this issue a long time cleaning wall-to-wall carpet, for which small robots are not designed. The regular vacuum cleaner was invented a century ago for this problem, compared to sweeping hard floors. Low power robots cannot deep clean carpet, but they can prevent accumulation of dirt with frequent use of a robot made for better cleaning. The common tests reported use surface debris which is not entirely indicative. So I tested the dirt left over after robot cleaning with a regular vacuum. I was interested in the Samsung Powerbot for its high power MAX mode but found that made little difference and may put excessive wear on the battery. Over months of use I found the normal mode on this brand at least sufficient to clean the carpet. There is insufficient data on other brands, understandable with robots oriented towards hard floors. The Powerbot intake sits flat on the floor much like the regular vacuum cleaning heads. I would still do carpet washing every year or so.

Washing carpets is a high power job to extract the water, nothing like mopping a hard floor with iRobot mopping products (discontinued I think).
I found the rented machines from Bissell better than some more common ones. A few years ago there was a lot of advertising of home owned washers, I would think of interest only in large houses.

For dry cleaning materials, HOST etc. (actually wet when applied), there is one to avoid. A fine clay like product, applied dry, with separately applied chemicals, is sold, which I found when used was not extracted fully by the regular Dyson centrifuge and showed up on the separate exhaust filter intake. Concerned this could ruin the washable HEPA filter and not be washed out, I would use it only with paper bag vacuums. I did not find HOST as thorough as washing machines (used for antique, delicate etc. materials.) (steam by the way, is really hot water, in truck mount machines -- avoiding chemicals; steamers for hard floors, alternatives to chemicals, true steam, are something else -- and will damage with heat lots of materials besides stone or tile flooring, the underlayment etc.).
Commercial firms sell cleaning services with something like HOST, no-residue service.

Dyson's robot is supposed to have high suction(and short run time) similar to their hand held battery product, so maybe useful.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » July 19th, 2017, 7:57 pm

The whole idea of dry carpet cleaning powders is to brush them deep into the carpet, requiring the power of a regular vacuum to extract it. Battery powered robots work mostly by brushing and are not likely to work, unless just sprinkled on top. I do get some deeper cleaning with the Powerbot but I would use a regular vacuum on dry cleaning powder. Robots are used mostly on hard floors where the power of a regular vacuum is not really needed -- dusting Swiffers are used...

Perhaps the Dyson 360 Eye robot, in high power mode, emphasizing suction at the cost of short run time, might work, but would have to be tested.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » July 20th, 2017, 8:03 am

I posted something about this a while ago. My idea would be an AC or DC (high current) powered carpet cleaner. It would be tethered to the supply source. A mast and tension system would keep the cord out of the way. The room would most likely need some prep.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby teddy77 » October 3rd, 2018, 3:18 am

Hello,

Do you know about better cleaning robot?

Thanks...

Carpet Cleaning Coquitlam
Last edited by teddy77 on October 8th, 2018, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
teddy77

Postby Brett » October 4th, 2018, 1:06 am

Better than... ??
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby someoneclever » October 4th, 2018, 11:23 am

There is the Bissell Spotbot, which is AC powered.
someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby Brett » October 5th, 2018, 5:24 am

someoneclever wrote:There is the Bissell Spotbot, which is AC powered.

Yes, but it isn't a robot at all...
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat