Roomba 530 Error 5

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Roomba 530 Error 5

Postby vic7767 » October 14th, 2010, 11:12 am

The firmware can't be reset but there are some dynamic registers that can be reset by just removing the battery. That will reset the schedule (if equipped), system clock, and charging system info.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby SteveinMD » October 14th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Well, I tried that several times and got a new battery from iRobot.

So I'm not really understanding what is going on. My original 560 got an Err5. They sent me a new battery and OSMO. That didn't fix it. Replacement Roomba works great on the docking station and charges fine. I check original Roomba motherboard out with no problems found.

What's going on lol?
SteveinMD

Postby vic7767 » October 14th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Evidently there is a marginal component on the PCA that causes the charging program to abort and generate the err 5 error. SCI output might give you a clue.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » October 14th, 2010, 10:08 pm

SteveinMD wrote:...So I'm not really understanding what is going on. My original 560 got an Err5. They sent me a new battery and OSMO. That didn't fix it. Replacement Roomba works great on the docking station and charges fine.
Therefore, charging PSU & Home Base are looking OK.
I check original Roomba motherboard out with no problems found.
Admittedly, that was only a cursory check of some components, and insufficient to claim a fault free mobo.
What's going on lol?
If you seriously want to pursue the matter further you will have to gear up to measure charging current, and make some charging-active measurements of voltage drops within the total current path (between battery and the 560's power jack).

First, you must devise some method of inserting an ammeter in the external current path (there are several ways to do that, and I'm not going into those details now). The ammeter will alert you to a real drop in charging current; a drop below 400mA. When that reduced current manifests, you also must be prepared to make voltage drop checks across every component that is in the charging current path. Refer to this post for illustrations that identify most of those dV measurement points: viewtopic.php?p=81792#p81792

You will also want to verify that gates of the charging FETs remain pulled sufficiently low (keeping them switched ON) when they are supposed to be fully conducting. Measurement will be constrained to the high-rate charging period.

If you get pumped up enough to pursue this sort of test plan we can talk some more.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby bravelittleroomba » February 15th, 2011, 1:28 pm

I got one doing this, all of a sudden. Charged fine and normally, till last night when I opened him up to clean out his CHM {his brushes aint spinning} closed him back up, naturally his brushes still aren't spinning, and now on top of that I have myself a charging error 5 with him. I didn't do anything to the battery during the CHM cleaning. Just opened him, then closed him back up like usual. Now suddenly, error happening for no clear reason. Light pulses amber for a while then "Charging Error Five" says that voice.

Needless to say he's not under warranty.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » February 15th, 2011, 2:15 pm

bravelittleroomba wrote:I got one doing this, all of a sudden. Charged fine and normally, till last night when I opened him up to clean out his CHM {his brushes aint spinning} closed him back up, naturally his brushes still aren't spinning, and now on top of that I have myself a charging error 5 with him. I didn't do anything to the battery during the CHM cleaning. Just opened him, then closed him back up like usual. Now suddenly, error happening for no clear reason. Light pulses amber for a while then "Charging Error Five" says that voice.

Needless to say he's not under warranty.

Don't worry!!!

Take the battery out. Pull the contact springs in the battery compartment up a bit. This will ensure that there are good battery contacts. Please report the result.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby bravelittleroomba » February 15th, 2011, 2:19 pm

This is going to sound really dumb, but is there a specific way to pull out the battery safely?
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » February 15th, 2011, 2:24 pm

There is nothing holding the battery. Just take it out. There are 4 strips of string type contacts at the bottom of the battery compartment. Just bend them upward slightly.
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby bravelittleroomba » February 15th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Okay, did so, tugged gently on the springs, placed battery back, got everything together and put him on the dock, now it's pulsing amber again. Only been a minute or two and he's been having charging problems since late last night, like almost 12 hours now so am wondering about how long should I give it.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » February 15th, 2011, 2:28 pm

If you don't get charging err5 after charging couple of minutes, you have fixed the problem. Good job!
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby bravelittleroomba » February 15th, 2011, 2:30 pm

It's been like 3 minutes now and nothing, but the other times it errored it often sat there for like 10 to 30 minutes before giving an error so I feel I'm not out of the woods yet. Not till it turns green.

Edit: almost 9 minutes in, still amber pulsing. No error yet.

update 15 minutes in: IT IS GREEN!

Thank you so much! Whee, now Slug only has 2 problems to worry about instead of 3. XD
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » February 15th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Great...

Concentrate you effort to fix your CHM motor that I suggested in the other thread. Soon, you will have a working Roomba.
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby bravelittleroomba » February 15th, 2011, 11:39 pm

That's tonight's project :)

I think the problem with the battery might have been that I just didn't screw the bottom plate on tight enough. Now I will be taking it off again to do all that you guys said over on the other thread. I actually enjoy this new hobby quite a bit, I buy beat up old roombas cheap and try to fix them up. I got a can of air so am all set!
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » February 16th, 2011, 12:15 am

LOL...

You sound like me two years ago. Before you know it, you will be buying all those broken Roombas and fixing them. It is addictive. Have fun fixing your CHM motor.

BTW, in two days, it is my second anniversary on Robot Review.
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby bravelittleroomba » February 16th, 2011, 12:35 am

Happy almost anniversary :)

I am still in the "asking a lot of stupid questions" stage though, but I have learnt a lot just in the past month.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby Jubo » February 16th, 2011, 11:05 am

You stop at 15 mins? Charging error 5 surface only after 20 mins and error 7 after 4 hrs. Only error 2 or 3 surface almost immediately.
Jubo
Robot Addict

Postby bravelittleroomba » February 16th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Maybe it was 20 minutes. Probably was that night when I went to bed and heard it give the error the first time just when I was drifting off to sleep. :P I didn't time it. I only know it didn't happen after only a few minutes. But it hasn't happened at all since I tugged up the springs and screwed the underplate on tighter.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby ruprecht1 » April 17th, 2016, 3:06 pm

Just wanted to drop a note that the advice to remove the battery and readjust the connectors from above worked for me to resolve the Error 5 issue. As part of that, I also had a small amount of corrosion on the connectors that I had to wipe off... but after sitting in the closet for a few years, my Roomba has resumed service. This is just a note to say thanks for the post and the advice... even a few years later, it's still useful.
ruprecht1

Postby kcabrera74 » August 15th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, been looking for a solution to my Charging Error 5 on a Roomba 587. The original battery lasted about 2 years when it started giving me the error. It held for about another year with lots of TLC until it just would not hold a charge. Replaced it with a Tenergy battery which runs like a charm for hour and a half, but still gives me an error 5 halfway through charging and then again when finished charging. Any advise will be appreciated.
kcabrera74

Postby a1robotrepair » August 15th, 2016, 8:34 pm

Clean the battery spring contacts inside the Roomba, the larger 2 of the 4. Pull them down slightly so that they make better contact with the battery. This procedure may fix your problem.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat