Is there an alternative to Scooba?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Is there an alternative to Scooba?

Postby angelheart » July 29th, 2010, 4:42 pm

If there is, it obviously isn't very famous. But I'm holding out hope that there is an alternative out there, even if it's hard to find.

I know that there is the Mint robot, but it's not quite the same as a Scooba. I want another robot that can squirt water on the floor. If you know of one, please let me know. I hate mopping with a passion, but I have heard that Scooba isn't very reliable. If there's a newcomer or something on the market, that would be awesome.

Thanks.
angelheart

Re: Is there an alternative to Scooba?

Postby Fraggboy » July 29th, 2010, 4:48 pm

angelheart,

Welcome to Robot Reviews!

I haven't heard of a different mopping robot like the Scooba. I still have my 5800 running strong, and I've had it over 3 years! The only thing I have had to do is replace the battery. Anyways, if you're looking for a Scooba alternative that shoots down liquid, scrubs, and vacuums up the dirty water, I'm afraid your out of luck. :(
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » July 29th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Fraggboy wrote:angelheart,

Welcome to Robot Reviews!

Anyways, if you're looking for a Scooba alternative that shoots down liquid, scrubs, and vacuums up the dirty water, I'm afraid your out of luck. :(

You can also get a spouse! :D

Notice I didn't say wife, you can get a husband to mop floors too!
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » July 29th, 2010, 11:04 pm

ROFL!! So true Mike.. I just didn't want to get in trouble.. :p
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby angelheart » July 30th, 2010, 5:52 pm

Alas, I can't marry someone just for his willingness to mop floors. Right about now, that is tempting though. :lol:

Some company really needs to tap into this market. So many have made robotic vacuums...why no competition for the robotic moppers? If they're priced reasonably, they could really cut into Scooba's market.

I ended up buying a Scooba 380. It should be able to mop my entire home on one charge. I wanted to buy the 350 but it wasn't offered by Hammacher Schlemmer. The 330 doesn't cover enough ground on a charge for my liking so I just went with the top-end model. :( I'm glad that next week I'll have a robot to mop my floors for me, but I am not happy with the price. Oh well, such is life.
angelheart

Postby Fraggboy » July 30th, 2010, 5:55 pm

angelheart wrote:Some company really needs to tap into this market. So many have made robotic vacuums...why no competition for the robotic moppers?

IMHO, the # 1 reason is liability. Working with water and electricity is challenging. Companies don't want to be sued. Could be other reasons, I'm not sure. I could be totally wrong..
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby sageman » July 30th, 2010, 7:27 pm

i wonder if neato are thinking about it like if the xv-11 is as sucsesful as roomba

somthing i would like to see is the vacuum outlet on the floor right across the floor scrubber airea for quicker drying and better water pickup would be posible cos like the xv-11 it doesent need the same time for a given airea like the scooba also a faster motor for the scrubber would be nice for better...scrubbing
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby holmes4 » July 30th, 2010, 9:00 pm

I'm the one who mops the floors in this house - my wife has an aversion to it. Well, floor, really - the only moppable one right now is the kitchen, and a Scooba would not only be supreme overkill but it would also have difficulty dealing with the many obstacles.

The Roomba covers more of the house, is more hands-off (no need for solution fills), and just makes more sense for us. I think more people could see a Roomba (or similar vac) in their house than a Scooba.
Steve
holmes4
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » July 30th, 2010, 11:51 pm

The DC voltages the roombas use are not harmful, even around water. Putting the charging brick in water is not a good idea though!
Last edited by mfortuna on July 31st, 2010, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby poconogal » July 31st, 2010, 7:32 am

I love my 2 Scoobas. One is an old 5900, which is the original model. The other is a 380. I think I love them even more than I do my Roombas. I hate mopping, and it used to take me about 2 hours to do all of the hardwood floors in my home, and then I'd have to do the tile bathroom floors after that. But with Scoobas, NOT ANY MORE! YAY! So far, I've had no problems with either of them, and they were both purchased used and cheap, on Ebay, in non-working condition. One was NEVER cleaned out and there was so much hair and debris in the dirty water tank that it was clogged, so the Scooba would not run. The other was because the woman did not use the Scooba for many months, but she left it on charge all that time, which apparently fried either the control panel or the main board, the PCB. We fixed them both easily. I think as long as proper maintenance is done after use, and proper storage procedures are observed, the Scooba will not be very problematic.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby angelheart » July 31st, 2010, 11:22 pm

I'm really looking forward to my Scooba 380. I'm going to have a mixture of vinyl and laminate flooring starting next week (when I have some new flooring installed). Every surface will be moppable. I didn't want to mop all the floors in my home on my own.

I am nervous about the laminate. I know it's technically not made for laminate. However, I'm having the installer glue the seams together. He says this will make it waterproof. I know there's actual waterproof laminate but it's way more than I want to pay since this is a rental I'm leaving next year. My landlady gave me permission to replace the carpet with slick surfaces that my autistic son can't stain. :dance:

I'm going to have about 800 sq ft of moppable floors...perfect for the Scooba 380. Did I mention that I'm really looking forward to it? :lol:

I still think another company should make a rival. If other companies can make robotic vacuums, they should be able to make a robotic mopper.
angelheart

Postby Botty » September 18th, 2018, 12:31 pm

did any company ever make a rival to the scooba?
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » September 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm

No.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Botty » September 18th, 2018, 1:32 pm

amazing. wish neato would give it a go.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » September 18th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Too much effort for inventors and too low demand from the market? Even iRobot has recently withdrawn from this idea, switching to robotic mops like Braava. :think: They did not introduced any new 'wet' device during this fall?
piokrza
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat