charging circuit problem

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

charging circuit problem

Postby horizen96 » September 12th, 2010, 5:36 pm

I have a roomba 550 that worked just fine and then it would not even turn on light up or any thing

I know a lot about how roombas work so I quickly found the problem. There are 2 diodes in the charging circuit on the PCB.

I can remove it a solder on a new one but i need to know what kind. The label on the diode was the destroyed so i can't see what it was.

Is there any way i can get a circuit diagram or something like that.
clean you CHM regularly
horizen96

Re: charging circuit problem

Postby vic7767 » September 12th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Do you have a picture or physical location for this Diode ?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby horizen96 » September 12th, 2010, 8:19 pm

when the diodes exploded they made it hard to read the location. I think one of them says d47 but i can not tell the other. This is the 550 board with the transmitter for the light house. The diodes are placed right next to each other and one is bigger than another
clean you CHM regularly
horizen96

Postby vic7767 » September 12th, 2010, 8:38 pm

I understand you can't tell what type they are but where are they on the PCB?
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby sageman » September 12th, 2010, 8:56 pm

near left wheel/bumper etc i think vic7767 is trying to tell you :)
400/disco disassembly's (everything down to the PCB)
http://www.robotreviews.com/wiki/400disco-disassembly

one day many years from now a person will say "right I'll just ROOMBA downstairs" instead of hoover
oh wait I already do :)

main bot: neato xv-15 (Europe xv-11)
to sell (one day): roomba sage and silver (both 400's)
sageman
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » September 12th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Hopefully replacing the two diodes will fix the issue. Very often when a transistor or diodes smokes there is another issue that caused the destruction.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Re: charging circuit problem NOPE, its +5VREG PS

Postby Gordon » September 13th, 2010, 1:50 pm

horizen96 wrote:I have a roomba 550 that worked just fine and then it would not even turn on light up or any thing ... I quickly found the problem. There are 2 diodes in the charging circuit on the PCB.
Maybe not in the "charging circuit". Look at this photo:
+5V_PS-components.jpg

...and study the two diodes next to the toroidal inductor. You will see D47 and D55 next to each other. If those are the diodes that blew out on your board, I can tell you that neither one carries battery charging current.
... i need to know what kind. The label on the diode was the destroyed so i can't see what it was. Is there any way i can get a circuit diagram ,,, .
The circuit you need is that of the 5XX Buck Converter, (looking something like this circuit draft):Image... which accepts either +21.5Vdc (approx) from a charging power supply, or battery_voltage, minus about one volt, to then create Roomba's +5Vdc regulated power form.

You can see where input diode D47 taps into those power sources by reviewing this post: viewtopic.php?p=81792#p81792

Of course, the attached +5VREG schematic shows you that D55, SR240 (found by TechGuy) is the converter's flyback diode.

I do show D47 as a "1N4001" in the schematic, partly because I read "1N4..." on its case, but I also think a 1N4001 could serve there.

D55 is a Schottky diode, whereas D47 need not be.

You have been forewarned by Mike, regarding probable damage to other components, so simply replacing a couple diodes can't be expected to make this board functional.

When power diodes behave as fuses, you really need to find out what caused the damage! Then see about tending to that area first.

Granted, it is feasible to think that D55 simply suffered a latent semiconductor fault which resulted in it turning into a low-resistance path. D47 would then have been faced with delivering as much battery-current as it could to a switched ON Q7 MOSFET and through the shorted D55. OR, if the 550 was in charging mode at the time D55 failed, then D47 would have been subjected to continuous 1.3Adc current that would eventually (hours) smoke it.

Normally, Q7 is not continuously ON, it is rapidly pulsed ON/OFF as directed by controller U3. U3 also monitors current being delivered to five-volt loads. If that current assessment has an upper limit, then U3 could have shut down ops before D47 got blown. You will have to read the U3 data sheet and app-note to see about its current limiting capability. If there is no current limiting I can see how U3 voltage regulator may cause U3's Q2 to be given maximum ON-time, to then pull Q7's gate low and keep it maximally conducting throughout the fault period.

If D47 blew due to a high battery current coursing through it, the battery's fuse would have been stressed, and the parasitic diode in FET Q18 would have been stressed. But, if it was the charging PSU that heated D47 to destruction, you might get away with simply replacing the two damaged diodes.

Seems to me that you have quite a bit of work to do! You might even have to buy another 5XX PCA, any model, just so you can dismount D47 to identify it. That board could also be used as a test device for verifying the normal power path (backwards) through Q18 & Q17 to D47A, as well as trouble-shooting the Buck Converter.

If you are not up to that kind of "fun", then buy a replacement 550 PCA.
Last edited by Gordon on August 3rd, 2013, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » November 13th, 2012, 2:23 am

Gordon, the D55 is a Schottky diode SR240.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby Gordon » November 13th, 2012, 12:06 pm

TechGuy wrote:Gordon, the D55 is a Schottky diode SR240.
Thank you for posting D55's part number. I have logged it.
Gordon
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat