iAdapt™ Responsive Cleaning Technology

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Postby ffrcoupe » March 12th, 2011, 10:05 am

Has anyone compared the cleaning ability / "smarts" of a Roomba that has this vs. one that does not?

I might go cheap on my 1st purchase and buy a re-manufactured 560 and noticed that it does not have this tech.

TIA. Image
ffrcoupe
Robot Addict

Re: iAdapt™ Responsive Cleaning Technology

Postby Fraggboy » March 12th, 2011, 10:20 am

Hello.

My first Roomba Discovery had the iAdapt(Correction, AWARE) Responsive Cleaning Technology. I don't know if the first Roomba's had this technology or not, so I can't comment.

There has been some firmware updates to change/disable certain things on the older Discoveries, which is installed via an OSMO. I have heard there is an OSMO for 5xx Roomba's. I forget as to why it was needed. (Quick search came up with 580's needing OSMO to update charging, and to update the Virtual Walls found here.

But, if you get a 5xx series it will have the iAdapt technology.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby ffrcoupe » March 12th, 2011, 10:25 am

ffrcoupe
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » March 12th, 2011, 10:38 am

Definition of iAdapt
iRobot website wrote:
When you see Roomba, Scooba or Dirt Dog making their way under and past furniture, going around plants and finding their way out of a confined area, that's iAdapt technology in action. iAdapt is an advanced system of software and sensors that allows Roomba, Scooba and Dirt Dog to clean more of your room, more thoroughly, getting into areas you can't easily reach.
With iAdapt Technology, our robots select from dozens of robotic behaviors more than 60 times per second to optimize coverage of every section of your room, making multiple passes over the same area. This adaptive cleaning technology is what works best in the real world, where dirt doesn't fall in regimented rows and a bed skirt isn't the ultimate roadblock for dust. Our robots clean the way you would--thoroughly and efficiently.

Source

Definition of Aware
iRobot link not working (Used cached version) wrote:Roomba is an intelligent and effective vacuuming robot. All Roomba Vacuuming Robots feature iRobot's unique AWARE™ Robot Intelligence Systems. AWARE uses dozens of sensors to monitor Roomba's environment, and adjusts Roomba's behavior up to 67 times per second, ensuring that Roomba cleans effectively, intelligently and safely.

Source

Basically, they are the same. More than likely they might have added a sensor and/or check as the time/name progressed/changed..

To answer your question, yes.
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby ffrcoupe » March 12th, 2011, 10:44 am

Fraggboy wrote:To answer your question, yes.

Image Thanks! :mrgreen:
ffrcoupe
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » March 12th, 2011, 10:48 am

I almost forgot that they changed the name, so I wanted to make sure I spoke of both technologies.. ;)
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby bravelittleroomba » March 14th, 2011, 1:22 am

I think they have done at least one update to their iAdapt firmware last year. It shows up on the models 581, 625, and 531 {the replacement bot for my parents' 530 seems to have it} and probably others. Better "soft touch" technology {especially peripheral}, better at getting un-stuck from things and other subtle but noticeable differences. I can leave one of these running throughout the ground floor of my house without worrying they'll get stuck, I can't do that with the older ones.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby djos » March 14th, 2011, 10:10 pm

iAdapt is just the iRobot marketing teams response to mapping robots like Neato, NaviBot and Mint that actually know where they are and where they have been.
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery & Aerovac Bin, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » March 14th, 2011, 10:47 pm

djos wrote:iAdapt is just the iRobot marketing teams response to mapping robots like Neato, NaviBot and Mint that actually know where they are and where they have been.

How? When iRobot used their definitions before Neato, Mint, and probably NaviBot was out on the market?
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby djos » March 14th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Fraggboy wrote:
djos wrote:iAdapt is just the iRobot marketing teams response to mapping robots like Neato, NaviBot and Mint that actually know where they are and where they have been.

How? When iRobot used their definitions before Neato, Mint, and probably NaviBot was out on the market?

As was pointed out earlier by yourself it was originally called AWARE, it was only renamed iAdapt in 2010 after Samsung Navi-Bot had been out for a fair while and after Neato had announced and demoed the XV-11.

http://www.irobot.com/EngineeringAwesom ... 0Facts.pdf

the proof is in statements like this:

Robotic floor cleaners that map out a path at the
outset and then work their way through that map
are vulnerable to perceived barriers, which results in
systematic neglect. iRobot’s sensory approach more
accurately discerns solid barriers from soft ones, like
couch skirts, comforters and curtains. As a result, we
clean under beds and couches.

which specifically target weaknesses in Neato's XV-11.
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby Fraggboy » March 14th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Your missing the point.

iRobot created those terms WELL before the other robotic vacuums even existed! So, when you say:

How can that be a response to Neato, NaviBot, and the Mint when they weren't even available to the public? iRobot has been saying it will clean under beds and couches for a long time.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby djos » March 15th, 2011, 2:04 am

Sorry Fragg but your timelines are way off, I found the first reference to "iAdapt" late last year (October/November) and even started a thread on it - plus if you Google "iRobot iAdapt" you wont find any references prior to late last year.

The original page is no longer there but the thread is proof!
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » March 15th, 2011, 6:51 am

I'm not sure what the point of this discussion is. Any company's marketing department is free to promote advantages (real or not) in their products and react to competitors.

I've gotten the message that djos thinks the Neato is better than a Roomba. Can we talk about something else?
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby bhylak » March 15th, 2011, 3:15 pm

mfortuna, your amazing at summarizing. :)
Ben

Homemade Telepresence Robot:
http://mayarover.blogspot.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/MAYA-Te ... nce-Rover/

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't
bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby djos » March 15th, 2011, 5:51 pm

my point was not Neato is better than Roomba, but that iRobot is now a marketing led organisation and instead of releasing new and innovative products to compete with the new mapping bots, the marketing droids instead try to spin the way Roomba's operate to make it sound intelligent, which it clearly isnt*.

*anyone who's ever had their roomba stuck in a triangular section of a room for 10mins then give up or run out of power trying to find it's way home to the dock knows this!
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby bravelittleroomba » March 16th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Soon as Neato begins to seriously eat into their profits they will realise it's time to stop resting on their laurels and return to what made them successful in the first place.

It's always the beginning of the end when a company forgets its roots...but certainly not too late to turn things back around.
bravelittleroomba
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » March 16th, 2011, 10:47 pm

I was a Sr. development engineer at Bell Labs and the Marketing department called the shots. What features were developed, and what the prices would be. Engineers had no say so, just did the work. I don't know of a successful company anywhere that is engineer driven, marketing is at the helm.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby djos » March 16th, 2011, 11:45 pm

I guess im not explaining myself very well still but what im trying to say is that it seems that the people that had the vision to create the Roomba in the first place, dont seem to be around or able to influence iRobots direction any more as the only advances in robot vacuum cleaners atm are all coming from their competitors.
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby bhylak » March 17th, 2011, 6:19 pm

I understand. Since the first gen. roomba, it has been bump and turn... But there is no need to replace it if its working...
Ben

Homemade Telepresence Robot:
http://mayarover.blogspot.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/MAYA-Te ... nce-Rover/

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't
bhylak
Robot Addict

Postby djos » March 17th, 2011, 6:58 pm

bhylak wrote:I understand. Since the first gen. roomba, it has been bump and turn... But there is no need to replace it if its working...

Yes it works but it is quite limited, I got rid of my roomba cause it couldnt vacuum my entire house* unless i bought at least 1 more (more like 2 tho) - compare that to my Neato which can, and does everyday all by itself, vacuum my entire 172m squared house (except for the garage).

*not to mention the fact that I had to spend another few hundred dollars for a better battery, a stack of Lighthouses, a sealed bearing CHM, soft touch bumpers & unicorn style bumper just get get it to perform adequately for the half my house it did clean. Contrast this with my Neato which has cost me the purchase price and hasnt required a single extra accessory to do the job I bought it for properly.
Last edited by djos on March 17th, 2011, 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat