horrible circular scratches in my new laminate done by roomb

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

horrible circular scratches in my new laminate done by roomb

Postby hanfalfy2k » November 11th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Hi. I am new to the forum, and after reading for a while here, and in some other webpages about this issue, I wanted to see to get the feedback of this savvy community about this problem.

I have been very happy with my roomba; except that yesterday I noticed a series of marks around my new floor, some of them perfect straight lines and some others a perfect circle, the diameter of my roomba 560 front wheel.

Since then, I have become very afraid of using the 560 again, and risking another of this accidents.

I've since reported it to Irobot and they will be sending me a new unit, although the problem doesn't seem to be a mechanical one.

I've read many possible solutions for the front wheel scratching issue, and there seems to be a consensus that using electric tape and replacing it often takes care of the problem.

Has anybody used it and do you feel confortable with that as a solution?
Is there a better (softer) alternative to electric tape?
Won't the electric tape increase the danger of a small stone getting trapped by the glue of the tape?

Thanks for your advice. I hate the idea of having to start vacuuming again!!!
hanfalfy2k

Re: horrible circular scratches in my new laminate done by r

Postby vic7767 » November 11th, 2011, 3:57 pm

The tape solution on the front wheel does not work on the newer Roombas that use the black/white front wheel to count revolutions to determine the robot is moving and not stuck. Your Roombas front wheel may just be difficult to turn due to debris inside the metal axle and/or around the outside of the metal shaft.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » November 11th, 2011, 7:47 pm

If your wheel is turning free you could try using white vinyl tape and color half of it with a black magic marker. Not sure how well it would work.

I use a roomba red with fixed front wheel (400 series) on my laminate floors and have never seen a scratch. I keep my wheel turning free.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby hanfalfy2k » November 14th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Thank you for the responses!!! Two questions for the experts, then:

1.- What about transparent tape? will it make a difference in protecting the floors? Has it been tried before.

2.- I have seen that my roomba 560's wheels will keep operating normally, even when the front wheel is not turning at all. This is, I think, the behavior that damaged my floors in the first place (A thread got stuck, but roomba kept cleaning the room). Is this a malfunction? should the roomba stop when the front wheel is not moving?

That said, even when the wheel is spinning, the surface seems to be abrasive enough to do some damage; that is why I thought that the electric tape could be a good solution...

Thanks for the advice!
hanfalfy2k

Postby vic7767 » November 14th, 2011, 2:42 pm

I suspect that the "stasis" front wheel sensor is combined with other sensors (bumper, cliff, wheel tachs) to determine that the Roomba is indeed running and not stuck. I've noticed that the Roomba will not generate an error message if the stasis sensor is not reporting front wheel revolutions on the newer 5XX, and 7XX models. I have not tested if the 11 beep error will be generated when the stasis sensor is blocked and no other sensor reports a stimulus during a cleaning mission.

Not sure about the operational life-cycle of clear tape on the front wheel. Give it a try and let us know the results.

Here's another alternative. By cutting a groove into the plastic wheel, you can then install a rubber O ring into the groove and the front wheel now only makes contact with the floor by way of the O ring surface.
Attachments
Swivel_solution.gif
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby hanfalfy2k » November 17th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Interesting mod! Thanks for the idea and the tip. I will certainly test both alternatives, see how it goes and post it here.

My fear with transparent film is that it might not offer any significant protection in the way the electric tape does, because it is not as thick and "rubberized" in the way electric tape is.

The goove idea seems excellent; so good in fact that makes me wonder if irobot engineers have tested it. Here, my concern would be that now you are placing even more weight in a tiny surface that will hold the whole weight of the robot, so if the rubber O ring becomes too abrasive, it will leave a mark more easily. Why can't the front wheel use the same material than the rear ones?!

Thanks a lot. Any other advice will be appreciated, and I will definitely keep the forum posted of my results, once I receive my new roomba.
hanfalfy2k

Postby vic7767 » November 17th, 2011, 11:20 pm

Although I haven't done it yet, you might consider flattening the center of the front wheel and adding two groves for two O rings. Most of the robot weight is on the two drive wheels so the front wheel should not have a problem with the single or dual O ring solution. A deeper groove and larger diameter O ring could also be used.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » November 18th, 2011, 3:16 am

Make sure that the o-ring does not raise the robot too much affecting the charging contacts at the home base.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby hanfalfy2k » November 18th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Thanks!!!

The other alternative I was thinking about is using some felt padded strips in the front wheel, and replacing them every (I guess) 2 to three months. Of course, that requires a groove too, as there is not enough space for it without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hdwe-Pro ... 403&sr=8-3

Funny what you mentioned. I just removed the front wheel of my roomba and started the cleaning cycle in one room where I have carpet and not laminate. The robot started vacuuming without a problem! Is this a malfunction of the unit or yours does the same thing?

Without a wheel, there is no changing pattern from black to white. I would assume that would stop the roomba from continuing, but not mine. It performs its duties as always with or without a front wheel!!! :evil:
hanfalfy2k

Postby vic7767 » November 18th, 2011, 2:48 pm

As mentioned in an earlier post, I suspect that the stasis report from the front wheel sensor is only part of the "Is the robot moving?" checks that the Roomba firmware uses to determine overall movement. Therefore, as long as other sensors are reporting changes then the Roomba does not care so much about the lack of front wheel reports.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » November 18th, 2011, 5:51 pm

The front axle on my dirt dog (which granted is a 400 series bot) rusted and caused the front wheel to freeze. The DD went on its merry way. I had the front axle on my Disco break and cause the wheel to collaspe sideways and not turn. Still ran fine. In both cases one or both side wheel tachs worked.

My red with two broken side tachs runs fine but one day the front wheel collected too much hair and stopped turning. The robot did the circle dance and stopped with a failure.

So as vic7767 mentioned, if at least one wheel tach works the roomba seems to work fine.

I have seen cases in my house were the roomba gets stuck on molding or on a fan base (like a lamp base). Both drive wheels turn but the front wheel doesn't since it needs the robot moving to turn. In this case the robot will back up. I think if the front wheel tach was not working the robot would sit there until the robot thought it traveled too far without a bump.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby wpeters1 » November 21st, 2011, 4:22 pm

What about a small diameter (with large width 3/8") elastic band.

W.
wpeters1

Postby mfortuna » November 21st, 2011, 5:45 pm

It depends on how wide the IR beam is. If the elastic band prevents enough signal from refecting back it may make the robot think the wheel is not moving.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby wpeters1 » November 21st, 2011, 7:25 pm

You could probably go narrower than that, perhap a 1/4". Its worth a test, as long as the band is nice and tight.

W.
wpeters1

Postby hanfalfy2k » November 23rd, 2011, 1:39 pm

I have received a new roomba by irobot and sent the other one to their research team. I am also complaining with Armstrong flooring for a probable manufacturing problem. I will also try the elastic band to see what happens, but for the time being I don't want to mod the new roomba until this gets settled.
hanfalfy2k

Postby Michael@Oz » November 27th, 2011, 1:50 am

When I first had my 530, and there was lots of cat hair to pickup the front wheel got clogged with hair so the wheel didn't spin. The Roomba did forward a bit, stop, back a bit repeatedly, like it was stuck, then came the oh-ho please move Roomba error. So I suspect your original had a dud sensor.
Michael@Oz

Postby DeReD » December 19th, 2015, 7:16 am

Hey folks,

Just got my 880 off ebay and it has been awesome for the first two days... well until i discovered scratches on my white tiled floors of my leased appt.

Im pretty sure the tile quality is not hat great but at the same time, a significant amount of force is required to make a scratch.

Is there a rubber wheel solution for this? This thread was made quite a while back so im hoping there is a solution.

Looking forward to your responses.Im attaching a pic below.

Regards,
O

scratching.jpg
Scratches 880
DeReD

Postby vic7767 » December 19th, 2015, 10:22 am

If it's just the front wheel, there is an O-ring mod that can be done to install a neoprene O ring onto the front wheel.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby DeReD » December 19th, 2015, 1:40 pm

I wrote to iRobot customer care and they offered to send me a new Roomba core.

Can the core actually contribute to scratches?

Regards,
O
DeReD

Postby Brett » December 21st, 2015, 1:57 am

I don't think anything on a Roomba (certainly anything that should be there) could scratch a tile?!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat