Ticking noise when charging

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Ticking noise when charging

Postby jpjpjpjpjp » December 12th, 2011, 2:23 am

Hi All,

I decided to finally fix an 'old' roomba 500 that had not operated for a year.
I upgraded the bin with the aerovac bin, changed the brushes with the ones that come in the aerovac kit, and changed the dead battery with one of those Tenergy batteries on eBay.
After a complete charge and run, everything seems to be working better than new.

However, I noticed something unusual when charging, there is a ticking noise (similar to a clock) when the roomba is on the dock (whether charging is complete or not). I don't care about the noise itself because of where the dock is located, and the noise is very low anyway. But I was wondering if it was signaling some potential problems with the battery.

Anybody has experienced this?

Thanks!
jpjpjpjpjp

Re: Ticking noise when charging

Postby mfortuna » December 12th, 2011, 9:03 am

This has been reported by a few members. As long as the roomba is charging OK I would not worry about it.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby robocurious » December 12th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Does your ticking come from the roomba, the base station or the power brick? I often hear a ticking noise coming from the power brick during charging.
robocurious

Postby jpjpjpjpjp » December 13th, 2011, 1:10 am

Thanks guys,
I will have to check, but i would say it was coming from the Roomba
jpjpjpjpjp

Postby Metronome » December 7th, 2012, 7:26 am

Bought myself a Roomba 521 Yesterday. Works fine except that the transformer has a tickning and whining noise when it's charging. The sounds remain when not charging, though quieter. How serious is this? Do you think that the transformer is bad?
According to irobot I should contact support... http://homesupport.irobot.com/app/answe ... e-charging
Metronome

Postby vic7767 » December 7th, 2012, 11:20 am

Yes, contact iRobot for a replacement. That noise is not normal, you might want to disconnect the power supply and remove the battery from your Roomba unit the replacement arrives.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Koontzy » December 8th, 2012, 8:18 am

I also have two 500 series that do that sound.
The sound come from the robot, and if you dont have any others sound in the room you can clearly hear it.
Both robots are salvaged robot that have others problems (mobo problems)
any other robots I have who work great arent making any noise like this
I'm gonna try to make a video just for the informations
Koontzy
Robot Groupie

Postby iDobby_The_Roomba » August 28th, 2014, 4:14 am

I am having the same thing with my new Roomba 630, and I find that when I tap the Roomba, or move it just the slightest bit on the dock, it will stop. This noise only happens every now and then, but it is definitely noticeable.I really don't this it is a problem though, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)
iDobby_The_Roomba

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat