New Wireless Roomba 790!!

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New Wireless Roomba 790!!

Postby Fraggboy » June 19th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I guess iRobot created the 790. You can read up on the new model here.

Too bad the only change is the color and wireless remote. :( Sad, no CHM mod. Why would someone pay extra for the color change, and a wireless remote to control it from the couch? I mean, we purchase a robotic vacuum to vacuum for us so we can do other things. Why on earth would we want to control it? I know some people do like the option on controlling the vacuum.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Re: New Wireless Roomba 790!!

Postby mfortuna » June 19th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Is this the same wireless command center that was available for the 500 series at one time? I would not pay for any of the 700 series bots, they are way to expensive for what you get, IMHO.

My next robot may be a Neato! (Gasp, you heard that right!)
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » June 19th, 2012, 4:52 pm

mfortuna wrote:. . .My next robot may be a Neato! (Gasp, you heard that right!)

:-o

I agree with you on the 7xx model's tho..
Chris

Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » June 19th, 2012, 6:03 pm

I don't know guys, I've go a 780 here that's running pretty good. Other than the CHM this guy has had no other issues. And, the Wireless Command Center works with it !
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » June 19th, 2012, 6:32 pm

But, that's the Achilles' heel (CHM). If iRobot would spend some money on R&D on redesigning the CHM (I know. Easier said than done), they would have a great running robotic vacuum, despite the raise in price.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » June 19th, 2012, 7:39 pm

But with the bearing mod and the newly designed end caps the issue is gone. The end caps protect the rubber seals from early failure when debris built up around them generating heat that caused the seals to fall out. It's 'almost' a perfect solution.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Boomerang » June 19th, 2012, 8:45 pm

I purchased the 580 4-years ago. It has the wireless remote control (which I never used). I have Vic's CHM mod. I added the AeroVac Upgrade kit. It has almost all the same features as the 790 except for HEPA Filter. It also has room to room navigation. So far it has been working very well....I don't use the navigation or the auto set to clean...it came with 3 virtual walls/lighthouses ...which are set to virtual wall. The 790 cost is high.....but it would be worth it if the robot is sealed and the maintenance is low......waiting for the reviews..
"The Boomerang" - iRobot Roomba 580 - Neato XV-21
Boomerang
Robot Addict

Postby assuncap » June 20th, 2012, 10:04 am

IRobot has misplaced the word Innovation. I'm sure they are all busy looking for it...
assuncap
Robot Groupie

Postby Fraggboy » June 20th, 2012, 10:32 am

assuncap wrote:IRobot has misplaced the word Innovation. I'm sure they are all busy looking for it...

:lol: Thanks for the laugh. You are so correct!
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby assuncap » June 21st, 2012, 8:21 am

If I'm not mistaken the 500 series remote worked with a Xbee radio but with a proprietery protocol... I belive it may be of the same type in this one. For those that don't know, Xbee is used in allsorts of things, from home automation to DIY (Drones, Robots, etc).
If only they would make those protocols public and open. We could had some very nice integration with home automation software.
assuncap
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » June 21st, 2012, 10:24 am

The Wireless Command Center (WCC) uses the Zigbee RF protocol to work with the RF equipped Roomba models. There is also a remote control that uses the IR protocol that works with all the Roomba models.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby iMayne » June 21st, 2012, 4:25 pm

There are always two sides to a story. iRobot has their reason(s) why they won't implement another bearing design in the CHMs. Maybe they will soon or never. I've seen the 790. No difference. Won't buy it, won't sell it.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » June 21st, 2012, 5:40 pm

So only WCC is in any way new here? :roll:

I would rather like to see SEDS (self-emptying docking station) :thumbup:

iRobot - DID YOU HEAR ME!? :D
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » June 21st, 2012, 6:01 pm

Actually, the WCC is an accessory from the 5XX Roomba days. Nothing new here at all.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Fraggboy » June 21st, 2012, 7:16 pm

Slap a new color of paint on the robot and add remote control functionality. It's "New and Improved"!!! :lol:
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » June 22nd, 2012, 3:37 am

vic7767 wrote:Actually, the WCC is an accessory from the 5XX Roomba days. Nothing new here at all.

BTW I think it's a little different in compare to old. At least the touch button and overall design...but $100 for it + some spare parts? It *may* be worth! :lol:
790.JPG
790.JPG (35.48 KiB) Viewed 6587 times
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71 Hobot-168
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby assuncap » June 22nd, 2012, 8:33 am

Very sleek remote... but I would never ever buy one. I still think that a remote in Vacuum robot is very much useless in about 99% of the time, so way would I pay extra for 1 and I allready have about a gazillion remotes laying arround my living room.
Why don't they (iRobot) add a Wifi conection to the robot and sell (or even better givit away for FREE) a ios/android/wp7 APP that manages the damn thing and works as a remote. I bet they would make a lot more money that way and would make more sense then a single purpuse remote.
assuncap
Robot Groupie

Postby Fraggboy » June 22nd, 2012, 9:51 am

What's the main purpose of purchasing a robotic cleaner (For most of the users)? To help with the task of vacuuming so we can do other things in our busy lives.

Sleek new look on the remote? So what?! I don't want to 'babysit' my robotic vacuum, plain and simple! You have to empty the dust bin, and clean the filter on a regular basis. Plus, depending on if you have pets, you might have to clean the brushes after every run!! No thanks!!

I do know there are some people who absolutely LOVE that they can control their robotic vacuum, which I understand. It's just I want it to perform the function it's designed to do with as little intervention as possible.
Chris

Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby assuncap » June 22nd, 2012, 11:35 am

Fraggboy wrote:What's the main purpose of purchasing a robotic cleaner (For most of the users)? To help with the task of vacuuming so we can do other things in our busy lives.

Sleek new look on the remote? So what?! I don't want to 'babysit' my robotic vacuum, plain and simple! You have to empty the dust bin, and clean the filter on a regular basis. Plus, depending on if you have pets, you might have to clean the brushes after every run!! No thanks!!

I do know there are some people who absolutely LOVE that they can control their robotic vacuum, which I understand. It's just I want it to perform the function it's designed to do with as little intervention as possible.

I do agree with you, having a RC vacuum cleaner is just stupid, they put a "brain" on those things for a good reason.
What i see that needs to be pursued by Neaton/Irobot/samsung is a way to manage the robot in more extensive ways. I want to be able to have more complex schedules, to be able to have some control over cleaning patterns/behaviours. To be able to upload a map of my home to help the robot around the house. There are so many things that can be added...
Obviously to achieve these functions, the robots needs to provide means to be configured via a Smartphone or a browser. I think it is a no brainier, premium features have to be of this kid not useless remotes or colour schemes.
Is that so dificult for a company with the resources Irobot has to implement something like that to justify a 700$ price tag?
assuncap
Robot Groupie

Postby Edan-Grossman » June 22nd, 2012, 2:39 pm

I don't think that the focus for these robots should be to make them "smarter" or "more advanced," I think that the developers should focus on making them more durable and more automated. I'd rather have a "dumber" roomba that couldn't cover everything on the first run, but would never get stuck or tangled. Even without a dock that auto empties the bin, I just don't like needing to clean the brushes and tapping out the filter.

I don't use the scheduler in my roomba because I have to clean it out after every run. I just hit the clean button after I clean the robot and move the objects off the floor. It's not so much a big deal to me, since I understand how these robots work, but most normal people won't want to do any of what we are doing just to get the room vacuumed.
Edan-Grossman

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat