Advice please, Scooba or Mint for open floor house.

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Advice please, Scooba or Mint for open floor house.

Postby Khayfer » November 2nd, 2012, 11:37 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to update.
I received a brand new battery that fits perfectly this week. After setting it to charge I gave it a try and again there was a rather large amount of water left behind by Scooba. I have ordered my refreshment kit so hopefully this will improve the situation. I was thinking I could use a mop just to dry it off but that seems like it would defeat the original intention.
I shall update once I get the new set up :ugeek:
Khayfer

Postby mfortuna » November 3rd, 2012, 6:58 am

Did the Scooba pick up some water into the dirty water tank? The replenish kit could help but you still may have an issue. My scooba has always looked like it left a lot of water put there was always plenty in the dirty tank and what was on the floor dried up quickly.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Khayfer » November 12th, 2012, 12:19 am

I got my refreshment kit a few days ago. It took me about 20 minutes to replace all the parts, I think what took the longest was to find the button to eject brush (somehow I kept not seeing it). As I changed the parts I realized how deteriorated the old parts were so I am glad you guys advised me to get new parts.
Scooba is cleaning as I type this, she is picking up much more water, now it does look like the floors would dry in five minutes :cheers:
I will like to say though, my husband says it is way too loud to have it cleaning the floors while watching TV even if it's in a different room. I guess if it were up to him we should have gotten the mint instead. :naughty:
I did try my roomba virtual walls and they did not work all the time; it stopped scooba one time, not the next, and yes the next (all within the same cycle). But since they are pretty cheap on Ebay I think I might order some.
Overall, I think I have spent about the same price as I would have on the mint but I feel scooba is cleaning the floors more thoroughly so I am happy :D
Khayfer

Postby tmnCA » November 13th, 2012, 1:00 am

If your floors are real prefinished wood,laminate or engineered wood, you could ruin them by using the scooba since it sprays water on the floor - it will get between the seams and cause the wood to expand.
tmnCA
Robot Addict

Postby spons » November 14th, 2012, 8:05 am

I think the best option is the Scooba for the occasional use and the Mint for general use. The Scooba pumps out a lot of water which has had it's consequences on my wood floor , is noisy and they usually pack up sometime after a year if used constantly. The mint is quiet and doesn't put out too much water and whatever some say, if you have dogs or cats the scooba needs cleaning out every time tubes, brushes and filters, taking longer than it would take to mop the floor! The Mints Ir nav system stops it going through doors by the way.
spons

Postby mfortuna » November 14th, 2012, 8:24 am

My Mint happily goes through open doors. Can you explain how yours works?
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby spons » November 14th, 2012, 1:00 pm

oh mine won't go out into the hall. I thought it was the ir mapping?
spons

Postby mfortuna » November 14th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Mine will pass through an open doorway from the kitchen to dining room but maybe that is because of how I have the nav cube positioned. It will also clean areas that I think are not in range of the nav cube projection.

So I guess where it cleans and doesn't clean is highly dependent on room layout.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Previous

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat