Does roomba broadcast sensor data?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Does roomba broadcast sensor data?

Postby Sean87 » December 20th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Hi all,

I finally managed to build a CMOS to RS232 converter board and cable and now I am testing my roomba 530 with a simple drive application I found on web. The program just moves roomba to 4 main directions.

I want to write my own program too. But before that I have a question that I think only people who have done it before know the answer.

The quesion is, does roomba immideatly sends back some data when its bumpers hit something? What I mean is using that simple driving app, I can drive roomba into something, I would like to know if at the moment that roomba hits something it sends something back to serial port?

I tried with some serial terminal programs but it seems that when I hit something with the roomba, it does not transfers something back to terminal.

If it is not like this, I read in SCI manual that I can send a command to ask for sensor data, but what I need is to immideatly receive something indicating that roomba has hit something.

Thanks,
Sean.
Sean87

Re: Does roomba broadcast sensor data?

Postby mfortuna » December 21st, 2012, 9:09 am

You have to issue an SCI command to get sensor data. The 500 series added new commands that stream sensor data at regular intervals. You can also just poll and read the sensors at your own interval.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat