Lighthouse -v- CHM?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Lighthouse -v- CHM?

Postby TheDoug » December 25th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Hello all,

With my Xmas money burning a hole in my pocket, I've decided to splash out and finally get myself a Roomba. After looking around though, I'm more confused than ever as to which is going to be the most suitable, so I thought I'd try to avail myself of the expertise on this forum . . .

My budget could just about stretch to the 760 - I can get the most up-to-date CHM, HEPA filters and all of the improvements to the navigation algorithms and collision detection. However, you don't get virtual lighthouse compatibility until you reach 780/790 (far too expensive), thus the Roomba is less efficient at cleaning each room and may find it hard to find its way back to the docking station. I really want to be able to schedule it to run when I'm at work, so lighthouses seem pretty important. Were I to opt instead for the 581, it appears that the CHM is less effective - potentially negating any efficiency gains delivered by the lighthouses.

I'd be interested to hear people's experiences - are the lighthouses a pretty crucial bit of kit, or are they just a nice to have? Are there any tried and tested ways to pimp a 5- or 6-series Roomba to bring them in line with the 7-series functionality?

Thanks in advance!
TheDoug

Re: Lighthouse -v- CHM?

Postby vic7767 » December 25th, 2012, 4:54 pm

If you get a 500 series you can upgrade the dust bin to an Aerovac bin and either purchase a bearing modified 500 CHM or opt for a 700 CHM that will run longer before needing the bearing mod.

If you get a 600 model then it already has the 700 CHM and the Aerovac bin.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Re: Lighthouse -v- CHM?

Postby TheDoug » December 26th, 2012, 10:51 am

Excellent - many thanks!
TheDoug

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat