Roomba circle rooting navigarion

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba circle rooting navigarion

Postby vazmuten » December 29th, 2012, 10:22 am

Hello Roomba owners,

I just bought iRobot Roomba 790 and also received one additional Roomba Navigator (Light House/Virtual Wall). So now together with Roomba I own 4 Navigators. I think I need an additional one in order to make the best Roomba navigation around the house.

I attach a schema of my apartment and my projected placement of the Navigators in “Light House” mode. Would you please review it and give me some notes on it ?

I've tested the placement without “LightHouse 5”( I don’t have it yet ) – just closed that door. Roomba started fully charged from it’s Base, finished Zone1, went to Zone2, cleaned it. Then moved to Zone 3, passed LightHouse 3 and moved to Zone 1. Then DOCK started to blink and it finishes it’s work.

Why did Roomba 790 miss Zone 4 and potentially Zone 5 ? What am I doing wrong ?
Attachments
roomba_lighthouses_1.png
vazmuten

Re: Roomba circle rooting navigarion

Postby vic7767 » December 29th, 2012, 12:31 pm

You are not doing anything wrong. What must be considered is the capacity of the installed battery. Once the battery voltage reaches a predetermined value (12 vdc) the docking program is activated.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby vazmuten » December 29th, 2012, 4:48 pm

vic7767 wrote:You are not doing anything wrong. What must be considered is the capacity of the installed battery. Once the battery voltage reaches a predetermined value (12 vdc) the docking program is activated.

Bur Roomba started to clean Zone 1 second time before DOCK started to blink AND comletely missed Zone 4. So it seems to me something is wrong after all.
Do any of you have any experiance with Roomba following "closed paths" as in my example ?
vazmuten

Postby lucabtg » December 29th, 2012, 8:43 pm

From what I can understand the problem is not the closed path but the "multi path". Roomba in zone 3 may decide to enter zone 5 or zone 4 or zone 1 without any way for you to control this choiche - roomba will probably pass the first lighthouse he may find on his way. I would suggest you to eliminate multipath .. E.g. In your schema place lighouse 5 not on the door of zone 5 but in the corridor so that roomba will pass it only having cleaned zone 5. do the same for lighthouse 4.
Not sure how you may avoid to clean twice zone1. Maybe using lighthouse 3 as wall.
lucabtg

Postby vic7767 » December 29th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Also I have not read of anyone using more than 3 LH/VWs with any success. Since each accessory will contain the Roomba for about 25 to 30 minutes the (stock) battery won't last for more than about 80 to 90 minutes. So using 4 to 5 LH/VWs will require a battery capacity of 120 to 150 minutes.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Jubo » December 30th, 2012, 7:30 am

You might like to switch LH 3 to virtual wall mode and it a try.
Jubo
Robot Addict

Postby vazmuten » December 31st, 2012, 12:58 pm

vic7767 wrote:Also I have not read of anyone using more than 3 LH/VWs with any success. Since each accessory will contain the Roomba for about 25 to 30 minutes the (stock) battery won't last for more than about 80 to 90 minutes. So using 4 to 5 LH/VWs will require a battery capacity of 120 to 150 minutes.

I checked and yes, Roomba takes 25 minutes to clean a zone. After this it starts to search for a lighthouse to move to the next zone. Fully charged 790 could work up to 100 minutes => 4 zones, not more.
Now I devided the apartment into 4 zones. Zone3 and Zone4 could be transformed into a single zone if I remove Lighthouse 3. Tommorow I will check if Roomba could cope with all 4 zones.
Attachments
roomba_lighthouses_2.png
vazmuten

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat