Roomba 560 does not let go of home base

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 560 does not let go of home base

Postby bmw » December 31st, 2012, 8:12 am

My Roomba is several years old.
It has developed a problem: It is 'stuck' to the charger when it starts, it pulls the charger with it for some distance; until it turns itself out of it, or the charger/base scrapes against something.
The home base often ends up in a position that prevents proper docking after Roombas run.
I suspect the rubber/felt on the bottom has become too slippery...?
Any suggestions more sophisticated and enduring than my own (double-sided tape)?
bmw
bmw

Re: Roomba 560 does not let go of home base

Postby iMayne » January 2nd, 2013, 12:00 pm

bmw wrote:My Roomba is several years old.
It has developed a problem: It is 'stuck' to the charger when it starts, it pulls the charger with it for some distance; until it turns itself out of it, or the charger/base scrapes against something.

Are you saying when the power adapter is plugged inside the robot, the robot and still operates when the "clean" button is pressed?
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby bmw » January 2nd, 2013, 12:18 pm

I'm not so sure I understand the question, but I am sure it originated with a poor explanation on my side of what goes on. So I'll try again: The roomba is charging. I manually send it on a mission by pressing 'Clean', or watch when it starts a scheduled one. It starts to move away from the base, but it does not disconnect - the base is pulled along by the moving robot for a while, moving base, lead and all.....
The lead with power is plugged into the base.
- hope this is clearer?
bmw
bmw

Postby iMayne » January 2nd, 2013, 1:47 pm

Ok so in short: while roomba on its docking station and when the clean button is pressed, the roomba tries to reverse but pulls the docking station? If so them try to place both dock and robot on tiles. Are they both on tiles? This mostly happens when on carpet so the robot is not at a level.

Have you removed the bottom plate before? Maybe it needs to be fitted properly.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby bmw » January 2nd, 2013, 2:49 pm

It's sitting on wood in a much-used (by roomba) place.

Good point about the bottom, though, iMayne. Did that years ago and found out by myself. Have had bottom off a ton of times since without problems. However, installed new 'brush-unit" (?) late last month.
No harm in unscrewing, removing, replacing and rescrewing.....

Yep!!! Roomba now sails out without pulling base along! Excellent!
Good work iMayne, thanks!
bmw
bmw

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat