Scooba Isn't Discharging Water...

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Postby reframe » March 30th, 2006, 1:30 am

Ian wrote:I ordered my Scooba from Sharper Image last week, and was excited to get it working. I encountered the same problem, not a single drop of cleaner gets sprayed on the floor. I just exchanged it at a local store. Scooba #2, exact same problem. Frustrated I search and found this thread. I was unable to blow any air through the post with an empty pen tube so I used my Air Compressor (regulated to a low pressure) and blew air through the pen tub, into the post, and voila! By doing this, you can easily check both jets for air flow and don't have to check the flow with liquid.

My thought on this is, that you probably won't ever encounter 1 out of the 2 jets not working. If you notice the type of rubber being used for the spring loaded valve on the clean water tank you will see its a very "sticky" type. Probably the same type of rubber used under the post in the main unit. Since the valve in the main unit was probably tested with a liquid, then allowed to dry (then shipped from China), I can see how the valve could become stuck together and the liquid pump not having the power to suck the valve open. This valve simply branches off into a Y to feed 2 opposing jets underneath.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't bet that iRobot will be releasing a memo anytime soon. If a company spends a ton of money manufacturing these, the last thing they would want to do is tell everyone theres problem with a stuck valve and give instructions on blowing air through a straw to fix it. Consumers just want it to work out of the box. Could cause bad publicity. The other option, is to recall them all (yeah right). Which leaves the last option (the one they probably chose). To ignore the problem, allow people to return them, "fix" them here in the states, then re-shelve them for sale as new or refurbished. However, I could be wrong.

There seems to be a systematic issue with the Scooba. I'm not sure if irobot is reading this forum but it seems like with such fundamental issues, the product should be recalled. One can only guess the frustration of having to buy a product and then 'fix it yourself'. In the meantime, I agree irobot should issue some form of clarification on the real issue and official workaround at least to calm owners and/or investors.
reframe

scooba pump not running

Postby googy » April 3rd, 2006, 12:31 pm

I have the same problem. Today I started my Scooba for the first time out of the box and as soon as I started it it beeped empty tank and the clean tank was full with the correct amount of scooba fluid and water. It will not put out any liquid to clean. Let me tell you something that made me nervous when I took it out of the box. It smelled strongly of glue. I saw a tiny amount of rubber glue at the bottom of the Scooba right near the bumper and I smelled around there and it stunk of it. Anybody else noticed this when they bought one. I was thinking maybe it is from the factory and they have glued some parts on the inside of the bumper. Maybe this glue is causing the valve problems? I am not sure what to do if I will try this method first or take the Scooba back. I purchased it from Bedbath & beyond I was also suprised you could not purchase and extended warranty there. I did use a 20 % coupon though. I didn't know if you can price match like with the $299 deal at Brookstone store which I don't know if there is one in this state?
googy

Postby TJ » April 23rd, 2006, 3:53 am

Very glad to have read this - I guess others are encountering the same problem as me. Right out of the box, won't drop the water.

I'm glad to have found this forum - Thanks!
TJ

Postby jackt » April 23rd, 2006, 12:00 pm

Wow! I haven't found this problem yet with the glue but I am surprised how many in hear have reported it. I hope that IROBOT is really reading this forum as it appears they have a quality control problem somewhere in China. (figures)
jackt

Re: How to purge the lines

Postby xuk101 » April 24th, 2006, 9:31 am

user wrote:I suspect that this is the same problem most of you are describing.

1. To purge the lines get a cheap pen that has a clicky button on one end, (usually made of rubbery plastic.)

2.Completely remove all parts to the pen so you are left with a rugged straw.

3. Remove the tank assembly from the unit and find the little water feed post that inserts into the tank. It is blue,has a black disk under it, and looks like there is a spring inside it.

4. Put the pen over the post so it is firm against the black disk. Blow into the other end with your mouth to push whatever is in the lines out. Keep blowing until it hisses.

5. Now you can clean these lines using the same method, but put water in your mouth and push that thru instead of air.

6. Make sure to leave water in the lines as it appears that the pump is not self priming.

7. Reassemble after cleaning up your mess, and set scooba to work again.

The way user solved the problem has became the official way issued by iRobot
http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid=48&id=302&productid=51&categoryid=
xuk101

Stuck Water Pump - Better Method

Postby gejarrett » December 25th, 2006, 11:35 pm

I was very frustrated when my Scooba exhibited the same problem described above, after three months of ocasional use. All manner of blowing through drinking straws failed to clear the jam, so I sought alternative methods.

What ended up working is a bicycle floor pump, with the pump head removed. (The pump head is the part that attaches to the tire.) It was fortunate that the internal diameter of this particular bicycle pump's hose was a near-perfect match for the intake. Two strokes of the pump and the Scooba was clear. The process was so easy, in fact, that I thought I'd lost the seal between the pump hose and water intake valve. But I could hear, and feel on my skin, air flowing freely from the two jets on the bottom of the Scooba as I pumped. As went the air, so went the cleaning solution, for a full run. My kitchen floor is clean again!

I hope that iRobot acknowledges this problem and comes up with a more viable fix. In the meantime, I'm pleased that I have a simple tool that will work.

--gejarrett
gejarrett

Won't put down cleaning fluid

Postby Kat » December 16th, 2007, 2:49 pm

I sympathize! I've got the same problem. I tried everything (but not the bicycle pump, yet.) Actually, I've had nothing but problems with my Scooba. In the first 2 months, the pump went out. It cost ME $23 to send it back to the factory. Then a few months later something else went out (Scooba paid shipping this time.) Then the battery burned out. I learned from a chat pal that this was a common problem (however, iRobot was NOT telling customers this; you had to "find out" on your own, then ask for a replacement, which they provided.) My warranty ran out three months ago, and guess what--? Now the pump is malfunctioning AGAIN! I will try the bike pump to fix the glitch, but I WILL NOT buy another Scooba. The hassles just don't outweigh the benefits. FYI: My Roomba (same age) seems perfectly fine.
Kat

Postby bktan » January 3rd, 2008, 11:43 am

Posted here for info to all who may be interested. Post taken from another forum.

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem of water not discharging/dispensing after I turned on my Scooba. It will run fine for 2mins, then go into a drying mode for 5mins, and thereafter, I get the dreaded CheckTank green indicator on.

I had done all including:
a. priming the solution valve - no choke there
b. priming the water outlet/inlet valve on the Tank - no choke there either
c. cleaning the brushes, reseating the filter and vacumn ports - all clean
d. rinse thoroughly the insides of the Clean Tank and Dirty Tank with warm water - nothing choking there

However, just tonight, I did a additional check/minor repair that solved my problem. I have gone on 1 successfuly run now (1st successful run after 3 nights of failure - been using it fine for 2.5 months previously).

I will do another test run in my living hall/room now to ensure it is truly the solution before I post what worked for me.

Warm Rgds,
bktan

After furthur tests :

I managed to have a few successful test runs of my Scooba now. This is what I did after exhausting a, b, c, d.

Step e :

There is a Dirty-Tank's Sensor on the Scooba. One is on the Tankand the other is on the Main Unit itself.

The problem I had was with the Dirty-Tank sensor-receptacle (at least that's what I think it's called) on the Main Unit - it is located at a postion "below-left" of the "Eject Brush" button of the Main Unit. Somehow, after 2.5months of usage, the 2 tiny steel flaps/plates had flatten somewhat against the side and could not make contact with the protuding sensor on the Tank unit. So, I took a tiny screwdriver, and very carefully and gently lifted up the 2 tiny steel flap such that they when I close the Tank Unit, I could guess that contact is made. Note : you have to be extra careful when you use the screwdriver to lift up the 2 steel flaps, to ensure that they don;t break. So, I would stress that the following steps be checked first before attempting step e:

a. Prime the Solution Valve on the Main Unit - to ensure there is no choke there
b. Prime the water outlet/inlet valve on the Tank - to ensure that thereis no choke there either
Prime means to use the Suction Bulb provided to blow strongly air through the valves in a. and b.

c. Clean the brushes, Reseat the Filter and Vacumn Ports - to ensure contacts are made properly.
d. Rinse thoroughly the insides of the Clean Tank and Dirty Tank with water - to ensure that there is nothing choking there, and finally step e:
e. Check that proper contact can be made between Dirty-Water receptacle on Main Unit and Tank Unit by lifting the 2 tiny steel flaps on the Main Unit - if they are flattened against the side after months of use.

After this step, all worked fine on my Scooba.

Hope this helps,
bktan
Attachments
DSCN0892.JPG
DSCN0892.JPG (118.03 KiB) Viewed 18580 times
DSCN0890.JPG
DSCN0890.JPG (124.05 KiB) Viewed 18578 times
bktan

not discarging water

Postby positiveplaces » July 25th, 2008, 2:14 pm

I just tried the "straw" trick, only with a plastic straw from a fast food joint...it took about 2 minutes once I restarted the Scooba for it to start putting out water, but it did!

Thanks for the tip!
positiveplaces

Use a balloon hand pump

Postby GottliebPins » November 25th, 2008, 8:18 pm

I tried using straws and pens to blow out the blockage in the water intake tube but as hard as I could blow nothing happened. I about ruptured my jaw trying. I don't have a tire pump I want to destroy just to make it fit over the tube but I did have a balloon hand pump. I cut some of the end off so it would fit over the tube and pushed on the pump til I heard the described whistling sound and saw water drip under the unit. Now it's working beautifully! The only other problems I've had was the first battery burned up. As mentioned they don't tell you your first battery is going to be destroyed by the faulty charging cycle. They wait til after it happens and you contact them before they send you a new battery and the software to fix the problem. And I've had the occasional problem with unit telling me it's out of water when I just filled it. Usually opening and closing it a few times helps. I imagine a faulty connection to the sensor is the problem. I would imagine this blockage was caused by not using it regularly. The valves were dry and stuck together. Being a single parent a device like this really saves me time. Now if I could just get a robot to fold laundry! :D

This hand pump should come standard as part of the scooba accessories !
Attachments
handpump.jpg
handpump.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 17271 times
GottliebPins

Re: Scooba Isn't Discharging Water...

Postby Helena » February 8th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Thank you so much for all the suggestions - I've had my Scooba for 2 years, and have come here a few times for help with my questions.

Once in a while, the rubber gasket on the tank gets stuck, and a bamboo skewer will do the trick to open it again. This time, though, that didn't work, so I came here to find out what the solution is. I used the straw and compressed air method to unclog the lines. Then, I positioned my hands under the outlets, so when I sent the water through I'd be able to feel if each outlet was clear.

Thanks!
Helena

Postby qbert10 » March 4th, 2009, 12:16 am

I feel completely clueless but I still can not figure out how to prime the pump. I tried blowing with a straw with no results. I then pulled out the air pump for the inflatable mattress and gave the system a good blast of air. Still no water will move through teh pump. I did the built-in Self-tests and everything was fine except 1,2 Pumping Operation - of course because no water came out. I also did not notice the high to slow rate mentioned so am I just missing something when it comes to priming the pump or do I have a pump issue?

Any help is appreciated.
qbert10

Postby Fraggboy » March 4th, 2009, 1:08 am

qbert10,

Welcome to Robot Reviews!!

You need to pump water through the Scooba, not air. I use a blue syringe, one used to clear babies nose/ears. Once can also use a turkey baster.
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby tmk85 » October 13th, 2012, 8:16 am

I also had the problem of scooba not discharging water after a year of usage, but it turned out it wasn't the blocked nozzle.

I shook the hell out of the dirty water tank and that solved my problem. I always wondered where all the dirt went and I found my answer :) So remember to clean your scooba: http://homesupport.irobot.com/app/answe ... /related/1

Here is an updated scooba link for priming the pump: http://homesupport.irobot.com/app/answe ... /related/1
tmk85

Postby hacker15 » June 10th, 2013, 8:46 pm

OK - our second Scooba 5800. First one throws 'check tank' after 2 minutes of operation. Just got another one - this one ran for about 5 minutes, got stuck, and now (when we moved it and restarted it) won't come out of the clean cycle (flashing blue light). These things are a REAL PRIZE! My wife liked the first one until it went haywire on us. Now this one won't return to a clean cycle and dispense water and cleaning solution. Anyone else have this issue? :help:
hacker15

Postby vic7767 » June 10th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Try removing the battery for a moment then reinstall it. Hope you have one of the iRobot squirting bulbs, just use it to inject a little cleaning liquid into the water pump input port until you can see liquid exiting the two nozzles located above and on each end of the cleaning brush. Latch down the tank and give it a try.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby hacker15 » June 11th, 2013, 8:40 am

vic7767 wrote:Try removing the battery for a moment then reinstall it. Hope you have one of the iRobot squirting bulbs, just use it to inject a little cleaning liquid into the water pump input port until you can see liquid exiting the two nozzles located above and on each end of the cleaning brush. Latch down the tank and give it a try.

Did that - no joy. Thing takes off across the floor with the blue light flashing away and nothing coming out of the nozzles. Well, it's back to the mop and bucket, which never fail!
hacker15

Postby silvinhaamelo » July 27th, 2013, 7:52 pm

My Scooba 390 disposes clean water, but it won't pick up dirty water. After it works, the Dirty tank is empty and I can see lines of dirty water on the floor. Also, it leaves LOTS of clean / dirty water on the floor. What am I doing wrong?
silvinhaamelo

Postby vic7767 » July 27th, 2013, 8:21 pm

silvinhaamelo wrote: What am I doing wrong?
Is the vacuum motor running ? Are the two squeegees in place on the bottom of the Scooba ? Has the dirty water tank been cleaned out and the flapper ball free ?
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » July 27th, 2013, 8:27 pm

hacker15 wrote:Did that - no joy. Thing takes off across the floor with the blue light flashing away and nothing coming out of the nozzles. Well, it's back to the mop and bucket, which never fail!
Does the water pump motor start up at the beginning of the run ? There is a sensor to detect the presence of liquid that may have failed on your Scooba. The clue to that happening is that the blue led is flashing that indicates the end of a cleaning cycle due to no more liquid being detected.
vic7767
Robot Master

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat