500 Model Dirt Dog ? You be the judge.....

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

500 Model Dirt Dog ? You be the judge.....

Postby vic7767 » February 15th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Just a little mod can lead to a big change for your older model Roomba.

Order some 1/4 inch brass stock from your favorite hobby shop, I used HobbyLobby.com for this mod.

Of course you will need a set of Dirt Dog brushes (sold by iRobot.com). The larger brush will fit the large brush gear in the brush deck without modification. The small brush will need just a tad of plastic removed from the end of the brush that would normally be inserted into the rubber brush gear in the brush deck. Of course you will notice upon attempting to insert the small brush into the small brush gear that there is a lot of slack. The solution is to use a short piece of the 1/4 inch stock (about 1/4 inch) that is pressed onto the square end of the small brush. A dab of super glue can be added to the end of the brush with the 1/4 brass part and allowed to dry while stored in a vertical position.

Install your new Dirt Dog mod into a ball bearing modified CHM (for best results) then utilize the large stock dust bin without the vacuum motor (sold by iRobot) and go clean your deck.
Attachments
DD1.gif
DD2.gif
DD3.gif
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Re: 500 Model Dirt Dog ? You be the judge.....

Postby matofill » February 16th, 2013, 8:12 am

Nice work Vic !

Only in terms of the design, but I think you need to try harder!

Here you send the proposal to upgrade your project! :wink:

http://www.google.si/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=i ... 2914246660
matofill
Robot Groupie

Postby mfortuna » February 16th, 2013, 8:21 am

Vic7767, what exactly is the problem with the small brush?

It seems like:

The stock square peg is too long.

The stock square peg is too small in dimensions.

In the picture the before and after almost look the same to me.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » February 16th, 2013, 12:01 pm

The small brush gear on the 500 model brush deck is larger than the square portion of the small Dirt Dog brush. The square must be made bigger so that it fits tighter when spinning.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » January 21st, 2019, 4:37 am

just reading this, vic, and i have a couple of questions

1) When you said, "The small brush will need just a tad of plastic removed from the end of the brush", can you be more detailed about what you mean? Is it the square peg to which you're referring? If so, is it the length or the width that needs removing?

2) In terms of power / reliability / ease of use etc, is there a particular 500 model that you'd recommend for this exercise? As you might have gathered, I'm very new to the robot world so I have no experience of such early units.

3) Does the dirt dog side brush fit on the roomba without issue?

4) Should the bin be replaced with one like this and, if so, does that remove the vacuuming mechanism which is something you've mentioned elsewhere that should be done?

thanks for any advice
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 21st, 2019, 10:36 am

Botty wrote:1) When you said, "The small brush will need just a tad of plastic removed from the end of the brush", can you be more detailed about what you mean? Is it the square peg to which you're referring? If so, is it the length or the width that needs removing?
The small brush has one end that is inserted into the brush deck brush gear. That gear has a larger square opening than the small brush. A piece of brass 1/4 square stock must be inserted onto the end of the small brush. Due to the difference in diameter of the 1/4 brass and the end on the brush you want to insert it on, a small file can be used to remove just a small amount of the plastic so the 1/4 brass can be pressed over the plastic brush end.

Botty wrote:is there a particular 500 model that you'd recommend for this exercise?
Any of the 500 models or 600 models will work.
Botty wrote:3) Does the dirt dog side brush fit on the roomba without issue?
Just use the side brush that is already installed.
Botty wrote:4) Should the bin be replaced with one like this
The large capacity bin accessory is made without a vacuum motor. The lack of the motor is what increases the bin capacity.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » January 21st, 2019, 7:30 pm

thanks as always, vic.

i'm picking up a 560 and a 650 on friday and i've ordered a high capacity bin, which says it fits the 500 series - https://www.irobot.shop.pl/en/home/57-h ... black.html
Do you know if that would that fit the 650 as well?

Totally struggled to find any brushes anywhere in europe, but found a broken dirt dog so bidding on that to try and get the brushes out of it.

then just the brass stock and we'll see what happens!
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 21st, 2019, 8:29 pm

The high capacity bin will fit both the 500 and 600 model Roombas.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » January 21st, 2019, 8:32 pm

brilliant, thanks!
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » January 22nd, 2019, 7:22 pm

sorry, one more question.
having totally failed to find dirt dog brushes (apart from one US site that won;t ship to the UK) are there alternative roomba brushes that might more or less serve the purpose? I saw a larger pet brush that claims to be more stiff than a regular brush. Would that work?
And is there smaller size roomba brush that you know of which could replace the beater bar?
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 22nd, 2019, 8:26 pm

I haven't seen a replacement small bristle brush for the Dirt Dog being offered by any 3rd party vendor. You may have to use the rubber beater bar brush instead. Using a stiff bristle brush will probably work.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » January 22nd, 2019, 8:48 pm

Sorry Vic, I meant is there a small brush for the roomba available anywhere that could be used instead of the small dirt dog brush in a 500/600? I read an old conversation you were part of where someone reported the beater bar getting clogged up with leaves etc and that a brush would work better.

If there’s a small brush available I could try it with the stiffer pet brush and maybe that might give a reasonable performance.

Also, I meant to ask previously: is the omission of a vacuum motor from the dirt dog purely to do with extra bin capacity or is also to do with the type of environments it’s intended to work in being too much for a more delicate mechanism?
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 22nd, 2019, 10:11 pm

The absence of a motor in the dust bin allows for a larger capacity of debris. I understood about the small bristle brush. I don't know of any vendor that offers the small bristle brush and is why I suggested using the rubber beater brush that is more available.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » January 23rd, 2019, 7:24 am

sure, i was just wondering if i'm chasing a bit of a pointless enterprise here and should just stick a 500 model out in the yard to do its best with its standard brushes. It's not a big yard and if the vacuum provides extra pickup without the environment destroying it then i might s well skip the vacuumless bin and leave the 500 as it is
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 23rd, 2019, 10:27 am

That's what experimenting is all about. Put your Roomba in the environment you want cleaned and see how it does. After testing is complete then you go on from there with any changes you can think of to accomplish the deed.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » January 23rd, 2019, 10:28 am

for sure. i just wanted to get it as right as possible in advance, as the location is really remote so i won't be able to make any further modifications once the unit is there
Botty
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat