Excessive Repairs to Roomba 530

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Excessive Repairs to Roomba 530

Postby Smorkus » February 17th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Hello:

I've had a Roomba 530 since October 2009. In those 3+ years of ownership I've replaced the battery twice, the right wheel module twice (once under warranty and again in Aug 2012), and the cleaning head module twice (once under warranty and again in Sep 2012).

So today when the brushes stopped spinning again I was wondering whether it was worth spending more money to repair this thing and maybe I should buy another brand of robot. However, after removing the CHM and blowing out wads of fuzz and turning the brushes manually for a while it seems to be operating again.

But what's your opinion? Are my experiences abnormal? Or is this the cost of having a robot vacuum? Or did I get a lemon? I don't think I run the thing excessively. In fact, it may only run 2-3 days per week.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Smorkus

Re: Excessive Repairs to Roomba 530

Postby vic7767 » February 17th, 2013, 6:29 pm

The CHM replacement issue was an ongoing problem with the three different styles of the brush decks inside the CHMs. That has almost been resolved with the latest 700 model Roomba Grey CHM which will fit into your 500 model Roomba and will run quite well. There is still entry of debris into the brush gear assembly but it's now at a slower rate than previous models of the CHM. Of course there is also a ball bearing modification that can be performed on it to improve service life.

The drive motor replacement that you've experienced is a bit unusual but at least due to modular construction of the Roomba it's not an extreme task to accomplish.

The stock battery replacement seems to be within normal life cycles.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Smorkus » February 17th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Thanks, Vic, for the prompt and valuable reply - as always. What I infer from your writing is that I shouldn't be overly concerned with my experiences to date and that any future problems with the CHM could be handled with the 700 model. Good to know for the future.
Smorkus

Postby Smorkus » March 24th, 2013, 3:12 pm

So a little over a month later I'm back because the Roomba can't go for 5 minutes before 2 beeps and the warning to clean Roomba's brushes. Needless to say, I've cleaned them as best I can (taken off the CHM and blown out a little dust) and still the warning.

So I'm thinking about buying the 700 model Roomba Grey CHM Vic cited above but just want to clarify before plunking down $50. On iRobot's store the Enhanced Cleaning Head for Roomba 700 Series (which appears gray in the photo) (item #21917) says for use in 700 series only. So I just want to make sure that's the one your talking about that will work in the 530.

Also, I noticed that you can't buy a CHM for the 500 series. At least one does not appear in their store when you search the 500 series for replacement parts.

Thanks in advance.
Smorkus

Postby vic7767 » March 24th, 2013, 3:53 pm

The 700 CHM will fit your 500 and 600 Roombas as well as the 700s. The problem now is that the Grey CHM is in backorder status for another month. The 700 CHM has a different design that will slow down the entry of debris into the brush gear assembly but does not stop it.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Smorkus » March 24th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Thanks, Vic. Order placed. Will vacuum using my Dyson Ball until end of April.
Smorkus

Postby Smorkus » May 5th, 2013, 5:58 pm

In case anyone's interested, my 700 CHM arrived on 28 April. No problems installing it in my 530. Unit appears to be operating normally. Thanks to Vic for the tip.
Smorkus

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat