The New iRobot Scooba 450 gets down and dirty

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: The New iRobot Scooba 450 gets down and dirty

Postby vic7767 » May 20th, 2014, 10:52 pm

TechGuy wrote:Are you using the new Li-Ion battery to run your Scooba 450?

Yes, and I cannot rule out that the cleaning performance overall may possibly be due to less weight and a higher capacity battery pack. But, the amount of cleaning solution put down and picked up is the same.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby DopeBean » July 14th, 2014, 11:36 am

vic7767 wrote:
TechGuy wrote:Are you using the new Li-Ion battery to run your Scooba 450?

Yes, and I cannot rule out that the cleaning performance overall may possibly be due to less weight and a higher capacity battery pack. But, the amount of cleaning solution put down and picked up is the same.

what is this new battery about? more mAph? i have also the new scooba 450 but i think its to early to write a review yet.. first more playing to do :lol: i also face the problem of a very wet floor but i am talking to the store now to see what they think.
Navibot SR8855 2013
DopeBean

Postby vic7767 » July 14th, 2014, 3:58 pm

DopeBean wrote:what is this new battery about?

The battery is the LI-ion 4400 mAH capacity used to replace the stock 3200 mAH NiMH Roomba battery. This battery not only provides more power but is the first LI-ion battery pack that not only performs charging and discharging control but also performs cell balancing. This lets you use the stock power supply and Roomba/Scooba internal charging firmware to charge the pack.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby aboatguy » July 16th, 2014, 7:43 pm

I received a 450 a few days ago and so far I'm impressed. Seems like the floors are dry when its finally finished its cycle. Its been running it at least three cycles a day since Monday my house has plenty of tile. Cleaning the scooba is simple and takes a minimal amount of time. Charging on the other hand takes a while.

After charging it a couple of times I ordered the dock and it arrived this afternoon. The dock seems to be a nice piece however, at the 450s price point I robot should have included it in the original package.

Overall I'm happy with this purchase
aboatguy

Postby DopeBean » July 17th, 2014, 10:59 am

I have a "problem" with the robot. My floor was always very wet after the cycle, took up to an hour to dry. Then i saw somewhere in this topic that someone can run the robot without water in the tank. I tried this also with my robot and mine has same issue.

Nevertheless this works absolutely great for me.. now i put just enough water in the tank so he can scrubb the floor but he cant make it to wet. By expirementing i see that for me ideal is about 500ml of water. My floor is dry in 10 min now. So this fault is actually a benefit for me :lol:

The other issue i have is that i can start the robot without the brush head. I contacted Irobot and they told me that they didn't noticed/ heard the problems before. Apperently my robot doesnt stop if something is wrong :? My feeling says that there is a "bad" batch of robots. I say "bad" because if you can run without water you can determine the ideal settings for your floor. Let's face it only big/small room button is by far not enough options to select. This would be a better idea in combination with selectable spraying time 5, 10, 15, 20 min etc. right?

If anyone else has this let me know.. i am curious about it :D
Navibot SR8855 2013
DopeBean

Postby aboatguy » July 17th, 2014, 7:31 pm

I just did my first tiny room and the floor was pretty dry when finished. IDK if mine is the exception or the norm however, I'm beginning to be impressed. I really wish it had scheduling and self docking like my roombas
aboatguy

Postby DopeBean » July 18th, 2014, 4:50 am

Does your robot also run without water or is mine the only one with a problem? Maybe the robot is very good in small spaces but that wouldnt work for me... i am not going to recharge 3 times to get my floor done :roll:
Navibot SR8855 2013
DopeBean

Postby aboatguy » July 18th, 2014, 9:33 pm

It works well in my big rooms too! I don't know about running without water since I don't see the point in running it dry (that would be vacuuming and vacuuming are what my roombas are for) All I know is that the floors are really wet at the beginning of the cycle and when the scooba decides its done and stops, my floors are dry with the exception of where the scooba is parked.
aboatguy

Postby aboatguy » July 18th, 2014, 9:33 pm

It works well in my big rooms too! I don't know about running without water since I don't see the point in running it dry (that would be vacuuming and vacuuming are what my roombas are for) All I know is that the floors are really wet at the beginning of the cycle and when the scooba decides its done and stops, my floors are dry with the exception of where the scooba is parked.
aboatguy

Postby aboatguy » July 19th, 2014, 8:30 pm

DopeBean wrote:Does your robot also run without water or is mine the only one with a problem? Maybe the robot is very good in small spaces but that wouldnt work for me... i am not going to recharge 3 times to get my floor done :roll:

started it with an empty watertank iot see if it would, and it will
aboatguy

Postby tipton » July 30th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I just got a used 450 off Ebay for a good price but its missing the charger.

i do have an older scooba model.

anyone know if that charger or even one of the roomba chargers will work to charge this thing? not sure what i'll need.
tipton

Postby vic7767 » July 30th, 2014, 2:55 pm

I use a Roomba power supply to charge the battery in my 450. It works great.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby tipton » July 30th, 2014, 4:04 pm

vic7767 wrote:I use a Roomba power supply to charge the battery in my 450. It works great.

ok awesome.

i know there was an alternative solution thread in the past, but i see no mention of a solution that works with the 450. perhaps i missed it though. can anyone recommend an alternate solution? at $12 a bottle for 16oz the recommended solution is pretty expensive.
tipton

Postby piokrza » July 31st, 2014, 12:33 pm

You can use natural enzyme formula as well. BB&B had it for $5.99 per bottle with free standard shipping.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby willwill » July 31st, 2014, 7:58 pm

I use odorban without an issue. my 390 isn't dispensing as much water or picking it up as it used to, it's on it's last legs after less than a year of use. So i am going up to the 450, i ordered 1 and it was DOA, so the replacement arrived, so for a few days i have 2 batteries.. No matter how long i charge 1 battery in one unit.. When i switch it over to the working unit, the working unit makes me have to charge it for about 45 mins before it'll let me run it . Which kind of defeats the purpose. Pretty annoying, so i guess extra batteries would be pointless for this model.
willwill

Postby vic7767 » July 31st, 2014, 9:13 pm

willwill wrote: i guess extra batteries would be pointless for this model.
Not only are extra batteries useless but if you have a high capacity battery like the 4400 mAH LI-ion that can run (in theory) the earlier model Scoobas 3 times before a recharge you're still out of luck. Even with the larger capacity the 450 forces you to go through another charging session before it will run another cleaning cycle.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jorgeli » August 10th, 2014, 2:07 am

Hi
I have a scooba 385 and are curious for the 450.
It looks great but when I se the brush construction so is my 385 going out close to the wall, but it seems that 450 is more in the middle?

It looks like the 450 is not so good to clean the edge of the floor that 385 is?
Some thoughts about that?
jorgeli

Postby piokrza » August 10th, 2014, 5:31 am

Scooba 450 can only clean the edge with static solution-apply brush and squeegee, both located after rotating brushbar.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby jorgeli » August 11th, 2014, 8:16 am

Ok thats sound like one step back for Scooba.
jorgeli

Postby brooke11112 » November 7th, 2014, 4:25 pm

So my Scooba from Hammacher is going back for an exchange. It was thinking about the new model, but looks like you cannot use extra batteries. (I currently run with solution and then use the second battery to go back over with clean water). Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Does the new Scooba clean appreciably better, or have "can't miss features," that make it a much wiser choice than the older model? Granted, my older scoobas have had longevity problems, but the Hammacher lifetime warranty makes that not as much of an issue for me.

Do you think the 450 could pose more dangerous on hardwoods with the presoak?

Any guidance or updates you can provide now that you've been using this new scooba for a while would be great.

Fellow Roomba lover.
brooke11112
Robot Groupie

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat