Scooba 230 3 beeps error

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Scooba 230 3 beeps error

Postby Xamindar » March 19th, 2014, 2:10 am

Hi Guys!

I have had my new Scooba 230 for about a month. It works pretty well but for some reason it will do this once or twice each run. It will suddenly start backing up as if the bumper is stuck or maybe cliff sensors are tripping and then stop with the three beeps error. If I immediately start the robot again it will usually start backing up and then throw the error again. But if I let it sit for a few minutes and then restart it, it will continue cleaning as normal.
First of all, why would letting it sit for a few minutes allow it to continue when immediately starting it again will throw the error right away?
Second, I'm not sure it is the bumpers because tapping the bumpers a few times does not usually resolve the problem.

IRobot states the following about this error:
Visually inspect the bumper edges for debris

Press the bumper on the front (and both sides) to feel for proper spring compression. It should allow you to push it in and then spring back outward when you release it.

Open and close the Fill Door and restart.

Any idea what the issue is? Could water or bubbles be building up somewhere and causing this fault? This would explain why letting it sit a while resolves the issue. Or is it possible excessive liquid on my linoleum floor would cause the cliff sensors to trigger?

Thanks for any help. Just hoping to avoid bothering iRobot with a replacement, but if that's the route needed I will contact them.
Xamindar
Robot Addict

Re: Scooba 230 3 beeps error

Postby third_deg » March 19th, 2014, 11:54 am

I have a few suggestions:

I've attached a picture of an all clear scooba 230 I have. If you look closely at the top of the bumper you can see (4) scratched areas under the bumper. These are (4) raised edges from the chassis that contact the top edge of the bumper to try to reduce friction a bit. Check to ensure there is no debris in these areas. You can also pull up on the bumper assembly a bit to reduce pressure here if something is misaligned.

The fact that time fixes the issue is troubling. This can be caused by the following (and it's hard to fix). If the water proof bumper covers have a slight leak, sometimes repeated bumper hits force air out of the bumper cover creating a vacuum. This pulls the switch into constant contact. After the robot sits, air gets pulled back in, and the bumper responds normally again. Sometimes this results in water getting pulled in as well.

There is a way to remove the outer bumper to fix, if this is the issue. But it's tricky. I got good at it, but I would not suggest it since you are under warranty.
Attachments
image.jpg
third_deg
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » March 19th, 2014, 4:17 pm

third_deg could you do more pics of this prototype 230?? :mrgreen: I'm interested...is it working? Could you make video of this? That must look cool when you see the water sucked inside this transparent tank.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby third_deg » March 19th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Sure... I'll load up some still shots tomorrow, and a video later.
third_deg
Robot Master

Postby third_deg » March 19th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Oh! I have one other suggestion!

There is another issue as well. The fill port is attached to the bumper. This was done as one of the space saving ideas employed but has an issue. The vacuum motor is always trying to expand the bladder, and the pump is trying to shrink it. When you don't fully fill the bladder all the way, there is air trapped inside. This in effect pulls on the bumper.

So the trick is the following:

1). When filling the clean tank, also keep the rear port open. This will allow you to hold more water in the bladder when you fill it. This extends cleaning time and reduces the pull force on the bumper

2). If you see the bumper problem, lean the robot back on the balance features on the rear. Such that the fill port is straight up. Then open the fill door and close it again. This equalizes the pressure, and restores bumper function
third_deg
Robot Master

Postby third_deg » March 19th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Wait, check that. We added a check valve in the bumper for this
third_deg
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » April 25th, 2014, 6:44 am

Please, make some pics... :)
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby Botty » February 3rd, 2019, 4:47 pm

third_deg wrote:Oh! I have one other suggestion!

There is another issue as well. The fill port is attached to the bumper. This was done as one of the space saving ideas employed but has an issue. The vacuum motor is always trying to expand the bladder, and the pump is trying to shrink it. When you don't fully fill the bladder all the way, there is air trapped inside. This in effect pulls on the bumper.

So the trick is the following:

1). When filling the clean tank, also keep the rear port open. This will allow you to hold more water in the bladder when you fill it. This extends cleaning time and reduces the pull force on the bumper

2). If you see the bumper problem, lean the robot back on the balance features on the rear. Such that the fill port is straight up. Then open the fill door and close it again. This equalizes the pressure, and restores bumper function

This solution worked for me. Thank you, five years hence.
Botty
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat