Roomba did this to my carpet!

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba did this to my carpet!

Postby robomommy » August 11th, 2014, 1:42 pm

This is one of three rugs we have in our home. The floor is stained concrete (which the Roomba is cleaning very well). This rug is a "loomed blend of cotton and jute." It's soft and looks great. I love it but, this rug does "shed". If you sit on it you will get pieces of jute on your clothes. The rug is relatively new but has been vacuumed often.

I have another rug in the home that Roomba seems to be attacking, too. That rug is chindi - looped by hand of recycled cotton fabric (tshirts) and the Roomba is pulling out some pieces. I fear the Roomba will destroy that one completely.

If I choose to keep Roomba off these rugs in order to protect them, how would I got about doing that? One of them is in an open area so I can't just close a door or set up a virtual wall.
Attachments
IMG_20140811_101943 (1).jpg
robomommy

Re: Roomba did this to my carpet!

Postby Fraggboy » August 11th, 2014, 2:03 pm

That stinks!! What you could try is to get a piece of black construction paper (1 for now), and cut a small strip out and test to see if the Roomba will cross the strip. If it does, than it's not triggering the 'cliff sensor'. The black paper might not be 'absorbing the light'. If it does, you can make a border of the black paper to keep the Roomba off of the carpet. They key is to find a paper that is dark enough.

That might look too tacky tho.. :/
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby kiruedo » January 11th, 2019, 4:17 pm

The stuff by the edge of your rug is the stuff your Roomba swept up off the top of it and deposited on the floor beside the rug when it climbed up over the edge.
kiruedo

Postby redpoint5 » January 11th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Yeah, I'm curious as to why the bits are laying on the concrete rather than sitting in the dustbin.

The cliff sensor idea is very clever.

I don't know what else would be as effective. Perhaps extending the bumper so it's extremely close to the floor, so it triggers on that thin carpet border.

There's other robots that have an app where virtual walls can be drawn in.

I'm also curious if there are different brush types that might be more gentle on that type of rug? I'd think rubber blades would be more gentle than bristles.
redpoint5

Postby leonicholson » January 11th, 2019, 4:56 pm

The side brush? Ours sometimes goes under our thin carpet when transitioning from our concrete floors.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » January 11th, 2019, 5:38 pm

redpoint5 wrote:I'm also curious if there are different brush types that might be more gentle on that type of rug? I'd think rubber blades would be more gentle than bristles.

The new Roombas (e.g. 800 series, 900 series, i7) use rubber extractors, not brushes. These were specifically designed for carpet and rug.

I have a 980 that I bought 2 years ago.
RTC
Robot Groupie

Postby drunkpenguin » January 14th, 2019, 6:56 pm

OP was from 2014 guys. :)
drunkpenguin

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat