Definitive list of Roomba and Scooba OSMOs?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Definitive list of Roomba and Scooba OSMOs?

Postby phreich » August 21st, 2014, 6:10 am

This thread is an attempt to start collecting a "Definitive" list of what is known about the various OSMO firmware updates that have been released by Irobot, organized by robot model.

What is an OSMO?
For those that don't know, an "OSMO" is a small device that connects to the non-standard serial port on Irobot's consumer robot devices. This port looks a lot like an Svideo connector. OSMOs are provided by Irobot to allow the owners of their robots to update the firmware/programming on their robots -- correcting known problems, and adding enhancements that improve the robots performance that were developed over the years the particular model of robot was being sold.

How OSMOs are used:
OSMOs are to be plugged into a robot that has already been plugged into a wall power adapter. Once the OSMO is plugged into the robot, it handshakes with the robot's firmware and initiates a firmware update, using a new firmware image stored on a chip inside the OSMO. The robots charge light blinks during this process, and supposedly the OSMO's does too. Once the update is complete, the robot performs a reset and plays its "reset" jingle to notify that the firmware update has been completed. Then the OSMO can be removed.

Which robots had OSMOs, and what are their characteristics?
I know of OSMOs for all three major versions of the Roombas and for the 5900, 5800, and f
or the 3xx versions Scoobas. There may be others that I am not currently aware of. OSMOs may exist for other consumer Irobot robots too, but I am not familiar with them.

It seems that Irobot makes these OSMOs in different shapes and/or colors, depending on which machine (or family of machines) they are intended to Update. So, the OSMO's for the Scoobas look different than the OSMOs for the Roombas. The OSMOs for the "original" Roombas look different than the OSMOs for the 500 series robots. In some cases there were multiple colors used for different robots within the same model series -- I understand there is a black OSMO for the 1st generation Roombas made within a specific date range, and a blue OSMO for another set of 1st generation Roombas made within another specific date range.

Over time there could be multiple versions of the firmware released on OSMOs for a particular robot. Since an OSMO contains a complete replacement for a robot's firmware/programming, the latest version contains all pertinent updates from past releases of the firmware, so usually the only one you'll need is the latest version. It looks like Irobot reused the physical OSMOs, replacing the firmware image on them when later versions were released. This can be seen by the multiple version labels seen on some OSMOs.

What is Irobot's policy regarding OSMOs -- will they always be available?

Irobot's policy seems to be that they will provide an OSMO as long as a robot is being sold. Once sales cease and the warranty period for that model has expired, they will likely stop providing OSMOs for those robots, regardless of whether they continue to provide parts for them. For instance, as of the writing of this post, OSMOs are no longer available for the original series of Roombas, and the 5900, 5800, and 3xx series of Scoobas. For now, OSMO updates are still available for the 500 series of Roombas, but I would expect that to cease in the near future.

For those who have not yet updated their 500 series robots with the latest firmware that enables the communication with the "automatic virtual walls", I recommend you contact Irobot customer support as soon as possible -- otherwise they may no longer provide you with the OSMO you need.

How should this thread be organized and managed?
To get this thread populated, what I propose is this:
1. The first entries should be the posts that contain the collected information for the OSMOs for each robot. These will be updated as new information comes in, and will be maintained either by myself and/or the moderator(s). I will start skeleton postings for Roombas and Scoobas. I don't think we need a separate posting for each model family -- I think dividing the posts by type of robot will be sufficient.
2. Following those first entries will be submissions by individuals with information not already incorporated in the primary posts. As these are incorporated into the primary posts, they can either be deleted or retained by the moderators -- that decision will be up to them. I am including a proposed template for these submissions in a following post within this thread. My suggestion is that those posting information about an OSMO, copy that template, and use it to fill in the information that they are going to submit. This information should include:
    - The model(s) the OSMO is known to update.
    - The date range the OSMO is intended for
    - A list of the known corrections and enhancements contained in the OSMO, including those rolled up from previous releases of the firmware/software.
    - A physical description of the OSMO
    - A picture of both sides of the OSMO
    - If the OSMO came with a list of fixes and enhancements, provide a picture or a transcription of it's contents.
    - The firmware/software release date and version number from the label on the OSMO.
    - Information on how you received the OSMO, including why you were told it was needed, and the date you received it.
    - Any observations you saw regarding changes in the robot's behavior after the OSMO was applied.

This thread is NOT A PLACE TO PUT A REQUEST FOR AN OSMO. But, where to put those requests? I would like to get some discussion going here as to what the moderators and senior members think. I see this could be be done by:
a. Starting a new "OSMO request thread" and having requests posted there,
b. By having people post a request on the forum's "Buy / Sell / Trade" thread,
c. By having people start a new thread in the forum for each request.

My personal opinion is that we should go with option "a' and start a new "OSMO request thread" as it is in keeping with the mutual support/assistance philosophy this forum encourages. Folks like Ed who provide the service for a fee could respond to those folks, as well as good Samaritans who are willing to just pass OSMOs along to the next person who needs it.

Once this thread really gets going, this original posting will be modified to become an overview of what OSMOs are and what the agreed upon intent of the thread is. For now, it is my proposal of what this thread could be. I look forward to incorporating the suggestions of all you knowledgeable folks! Let the OSMO discussion begin!

Philip
Last edited by phreich on August 21st, 2014, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
phreich

Definitive list of Roomba OSMOs

Postby phreich » August 21st, 2014, 6:45 am

This is where the list of Roomba OSMOs will be posted, organized by Roomba model, or family of models, starting with the original Roomba models, the 500 and 600 series, and the current 700 and 800 series, followed by whatever series is released in the future.

Original Series Roombas:

Red Model xxx

Discovery series 4xxx
The two 4xxx series OSMOs:
1. Fixed the wheel tach issue by ignoring them, better battery charging algorithm.
2. Added SCI support (two models of OSMO depending on CPU type, purple and teal -- see notes below for details)

The scheduler remote "OSMO" adds scheduling and provides the fixes in OSMO 1.

Further notes on 4xxx OSMOs:
- The scheduler remote used on Newmon's Roombas was 2005-04-21-1834, likely the first firmware with scheduling
- The fix to ignore the "circle dance" of a failed tach came in 2005-08-11-1707 (OSMO version 1 according to service manual)
- The SCI, along with support for single-dirt-sensor Roombas came in 2005-10-04-1308 (OSMO version 2, also called "2.1")
- The support for single button Roombas came in 2006-08-19-1814 (OSMO version 3/product barcode v07)

The trick would be finding a 2006-08-09 or higher OSMO. Likely anyone requesting a tach fix 2007 or after would have received an OSMO from iRobot with at least this date. Pictures of OSMO modules from iRobot customer service seem to show that they were accurately labeled with the firmware version date, with the date code under the plastic (in the format JEN1387Xyymmdd03xxxxxx, where the 03 is version 03) or with the actual date on a sticker.

The two-digit firmware version code embedded in other serial numbers seems to vary: my two robots that shipped with 2006-08-19 have "07" in this position. The scheduler remote I have has "02" in this position, but I have not flashed with it to see what version it contains.

Any OSMO//hacker module would likely have the 2005-10-04 version. Like the scheduler,

"Roomba’s have been manufactured with two different chips (E128 and DG256), and so there are two software release to match the different chips. The OSMO Teal is used for E128 chips and the OSMO Purple is used for DG256 chip." Any newer 4xxx Roomba with a barcode (not just a number) in the battery compartment will take the teal module.

Single button roombas already had all the OSMO fixes, had SCI, and supported scheduling. That was the end of the line for 4xxx series firmware. I don't think Irobot ever had an OSMO for a one button robot. And there was no reason for them to change the earlier OSMO code to
accommodate single button robots since there was nothing needed for them.

Pictures of some 4xxx OSMOs:
t3oUUtv[1].jpg

How this OSMO was obtained:
No longer available from Irobot. They sometimes show up on Ebay.

Dirt Dog

500 series Roombas:

530:

535 through 590 Roombas compatible with lighthouses (have onboard radios):
The latest version OSMO for these robots is labeled:
2012-03-22-1549
This OSMO update includes the following known fixes:
1. Provides improved battery charging algorithms to prolong battery life
This OSMO update includes the following enhancements:
1. Adds voice error reporting for early models that didn't have it
2. Adds additional voice error reporting for later models that had incomplete voice reporting
3. Adds communication capability with the new "automatic virtual walls"
Pictures of OSMO:
20140820_234103.jpg

20140821_034056.jpg

How this OSMO was obtained:
This OSMO was provided by Irobot customer support to member PHREICH on August 18th, 2014 at his request to update his Roomba 560 and 535 with "automatic virtual wall" communication capability.

600 series Roombas:

700 series Roombas:

800 series Roombas:
Last edited by phreich on April 8th, 2015, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
phreich

Definitive list of Scooba OSMOs

Postby phreich » August 21st, 2014, 7:13 am

This is where the list of Scooba OSMOs will be posted, organized by Scooba model, or family of models, starting with the 5900, 5800, 3xx series, 2xx series, 4xx series, followed by whatever series is released in the future.

5900 Scooba:
A translucent amber OSMO was released for this model.
Fixes:
Corrected float charge amperage by reducing it to eliminate damage caused by overheating of batteries left on the charger after they were fully charged (as directed by the manual). Note that this "fix" makes the 5900 unable to properly charge an aftermarket Li-Ion battery, instead an external battery charger will need to be used. The original firmware would allow an aftermarket LI-Ion battery to charge while mounted inside the Scooba.
Enhancements:
Unknown
Availability: No longer available from Irobot -- Support discontinued by Irobot in 2013.
Picture:

5800 Scooba:
A translucent clear OSMO was released for this model.
Corrections:
Corrected float charge amperage by reducing it to eliminate damage caused by overheating of batteries left on the charger after they were fully charged (as directed by the manual). Note that this "fix" makes the 5800 unable to properly charge an aftermarket Li-Ion battery, instead an external battery charger will need to be used. The original firmware would allow an aftermarket LI-Ion battery to charge while mounted inside the Scooba.
Enhancements:
vic7767 wrote:The only main firmware patch that the OSMO unit performed on the 5800 was a lowering of the charging current presented to the battery during a internal battery charging session. It would be easier to obtain an external charger brick to charge your Scooba battery than try to locate a 5800 OSMO. In the long run, charging the battery externally may even extend the overall life cycle of a new battery.

Availability: No longer available from Irobot -- Support discontinued by Irobot in 2013.
Pictures:

3xx series Scooba:

2xx series Scooba:

4xx series Scooba:
Last edited by phreich on August 25th, 2014, 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phreich

Roomba/Scooba OSMO Information Submission Template

Postby phreich » August 21st, 2014, 7:29 am

This template is intended to be used by members who are submitting new OSMO information to be added to the primary informational postings at the top of this thread. If submitting information on a previously unknown OSMO, please fill out the following information completely. If submitting a correction or supplementary information for an already known OSMO, please fill out the pertinent sections and delete the unneeded sections.

Thank you for submitting your OSMO information!

The model(s) the OSMO is known to update.

A physical description of the OSMO

The date range the OSMO is intended for
Note, if the OSMO can be applied to a model regardless of it's manufacture date, then indicate this. If it can only be applied to a specific date range, then specify that, and the reason if known.

A list of the known corrections and enhancements contained in the OSMO, including those rolled up from previous releases of the firmware/software.

A picture of both sides of the OSMO

If the OSMO came with a list of fixes and enhancements, provide a picture or a transcription of it's contents.

The firmware/software release date and version number from the label on the OSMO.

Information on how you received the OSMO, including why you were told it was needed, and the date you received it.

Any observations you saw regarding changes in the robot's behavior after the OSMO was applied.

Any known issues applying this OSMO will cause.
phreich

Definitive list of xxxxxx OSMOs (placeholder for future devi

Postby phreich » August 21st, 2014, 7:32 am

This is a placeholder. (nbr 1)
phreich

Definitive list of xxxxxx OSMOs (placeholder 2)

Postby phreich » August 21st, 2014, 7:33 am

Placeholder nbr 2
phreich

Re: Definitive list of Roomba and Scooba OSMOs?

Postby a1robotrepair » April 26th, 2016, 10:27 pm

The model(s) the OSMO is known to update. (I believe it's for the 800 series, 880 with same date code.)
Can anyone shed some light on this OSMO?

A physical description of the OSMO (Black and round)

The date range the OSMO is intended for (Unknown, works well with 700 and 800 no noticable change, I think it was to cure the early 800 series bin full problems)
Note, if the OSMO can be applied to a model regardless of it's manufacture date, then indicate this. If it can only be applied to a specific date range, then specify that, and the reason if known.

A list of the known corrections and enhancements contained in the OSMO, including those rolled up from previous releases of the firmware/software.(unknown)

image.jpeg

If the OSMO came with a list of fixes and enhancements, provide a picture or a transcription of it's contents. (None)

The firmware/software release date and version number from the label on the OSMO. (See Pic)

Information on how you received the OSMO, including why you were told it was needed, and the date you received it.
(Came with used 790 in early 2014)

Any observations you saw regarding changes in the robot's behavior after the OSMO was applied (None)
Attachments
image.jpeg
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby whitecube » September 12th, 2016, 12:01 pm

is it possible to read it out and patch a roomba with computer and cable?
whitecube

Postby vic7767 » September 12th, 2016, 1:26 pm

No, it is not possible. The firmware in the Roomba is proprietary and is also encrypted. There was some work done by gssincia in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2916 that explain in great detail the interactions between the OSMO and the Roomba,

There was some effort at one time to capture the messages sent between the OSMO and Roomba and convert them to S records that could then be used to store on a PC and used to flash your Roomba. That work has never been completed.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby off-road-biker » December 30th, 2016, 4:34 am

Roomba 560

Which is the newest firmware for my Roomba 560??
Where could I get an OSMO in Germany with this latest Update?
Roomba 560 with 700 ECHM (grey) and modded original vac bin (R3)
off-road-biker

Postby a1robotrepair » December 30th, 2016, 10:33 am

Pull the bin out of your bot and read the date code. KYN56001 "100608" 0700001, the quotes represent 2010, 10, June, 06, 8th, 08. The 07 folowing that is the software revision no. Later date code than that has Auto VWall enabled.
The latest OSMO I have found released for the R3 is 2012-03-22-1549. They're are later versions for the R3 600s, 2015, don't know of anyone who has one later than the 2012.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby off-road-biker » January 2nd, 2017, 9:17 am

My roomba 560 has KYN560040804020200266
That means it's built 02. April 2008 with firmware 02

Do you or anyone else have a solution how I could update to minimum firmware 07?
I contact iRobot Germany but they don't have any OSMO for the 500s and also don't know where to get them. :cry:
Last edited by off-road-biker on January 2nd, 2017, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
off-road-biker

Postby a1robotrepair » January 2nd, 2017, 3:03 pm

The Deutsch robot reviews. Member glnc222 has the link posted in here somewhere. Use Advanced Search. Read the directions on the top left. Narrow your search with the options provided.
Shipping your PCA to the US and back may be more than the bot is worth.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby off-road-biker » January 2nd, 2017, 3:22 pm

I searched for glnc222 + firmware and couldn't find any infos to update a Roomba.
Also he isn't from Germany he#s from US.

But maybe I misunderstood you totally... :cry:
off-road-biker

Postby a1robotrepair » January 2nd, 2017, 3:55 pm

Try typing +German in search box and glnc222 in the members box.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby a1robotrepair » January 2nd, 2017, 3:59 pm

a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby off-road-biker » January 6th, 2017, 4:52 am

Thank you a1robotrepair :thumbup:
I know that forum but I couldn't find any thread where I could get the update.

Do you have a tip what to search for or do I misunderstood you? :shifty:
off-road-biker

Postby magura » September 4th, 2017, 7:47 am

Hi all, first time posting here....

I've purchased an OSMO device from irobot's official spanish store. It's available too from UK store, and, I think, from all stores from EMEA.

I'm not able to find a link for USA.

It is supposed to update series 700 and 800...

I've found it just googling about OSMO, because it's not listed as a visible product. I wil receive it tomorrow, when I'll be able to confirm if that OSMO is for Roomba 700 and 800 series.

Regards
magura

Postby magura » September 5th, 2017, 10:26 am

Here it is...

IMG_20170905_161632.jpg
magura

Postby magura » September 7th, 2017, 7:25 am

The model(s) the OSMO is known to update.
Roomba series 700/800

A physical description of the OSMO
Black and round

The date range the OSMO is intended for
Any

A list of the known corrections and enhancements contained in the OSMO, including those rolled up from previous releases of the firmware/software.
Lights on roomba now turns off while charging

well... one side :)

IMG_20170905_161632.jpg

If the OSMO came with a list of fixes and enhancements, provide a picture or a transcription of it's contents.
None

The firmware/software release date and version number from the label on the OSMO.
2016-07-15-1344

Updates date tag to: 2016 07015 1344 UI SUN 1371

Purchased at official spanish irobot's online store.

Any observations you saw regarding changes in the robot's behavior after the OSMO was applied.
Maybe, better finding and behavior in regard to LightHouse. (My previous firmware was from 2012)
Lights tunrs off while charging now (Battery LED, clean button and panel buttons)

Any known issues applying this OSMO will cause.
None
magura

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat