Software / Firmware Update Scooba 450 available

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Software / Firmware Update Scooba 450 available

Postby silviuv » March 8th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Hello,

I had the same problem with "driver missing".
It didn't work as previously suggested. Searching I found a working driver at https://devid.drp.su/ms/detail.php?id=7 ... 9fd7bfec14
Extract the downloaded file. In device manager "update driver" and select the location where you extrcted the files.
After the driver is installed everything works just fine.

Have a nice day!
Silviu
silviuv

Postby babakonda » November 22nd, 2016, 8:22 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread...
Question: is there a way to figure out which firmware is now installed on my Scooba 450? Either by manufacture date or something else? Thanks in advance.
I have a Mac and microusb cable.
babakonda
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » November 22nd, 2016, 9:22 pm

Plug that USB cable into the 450 and your Mac as well as a terminal program like Putty, set the comm parameters to 115200, N, 8 & 1. Power up your 450 and you will see the firmware info on the screen.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby babakonda » December 4th, 2016, 11:56 am

No success. I ditched the idea of conneting to Terminal as at this point I don't need it anyway as the version should be seen when connected to scooba updating app. And also I don't know how to set those parameters in Terminal :mrgreen:

But...
The scooba app (updater) doesn't recognize the device!
All usb ports are working (tested), Mac OS 10.10.5, , tried 3 different cables (all tested to work fine).
My partner tried it on Windows 7 and XP and on Mac OS 10.12, same result.
Scooba is invisible. Nothing happens when I connect it when prompted,
Restarted the computer and scooba multiple times...nothing.
Microusb connector on Scooba visibly looks fine.
Any ideas?
Tried iRobot chat support, no luck (they don't know what to do).
I bought the scooba couple months old in fully working condition (it's out of warranty now).
babakonda
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » December 4th, 2016, 12:57 pm

As I previously mentioned, if you cannot monitor the ASCII output of your Scooba using a cable and terminal program then something is not correct. Set up a monitor session, connect the Scooba to its power supply and monitor the ASCII output charging report. The text is sent out of the SCI port once per second until the power supply is disconnected. If you cannot see any data then you have some type of hardware/software issue.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby babakonda » December 4th, 2016, 3:43 pm

Thanks, Ed. Any idea of how to set up those comm parameters in Terminal on Mac, i.e. how to set up a monitor session? There's no Putty app for Mac. And although I work on a computer a lot, I'm not into program languages etc...I imagine there must be some command lines that I need to type in first :help:
Couldn't even google it! (female+blonde might be the reason for it) so a step-by-step guide is actually what I'd need - so if anyone has time to help...that would be great. Thanks in advance.

edit: so far, it seems there is *some* kind of connection: scooba off, I plug the cable and connect to Macbook, it turns on.
babakonda
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » December 4th, 2016, 4:35 pm

Not sure on your Mac but iRobot provides the communications driver that needs to be downloaded from their website in order to then download a firmware update.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby babakonda » December 4th, 2016, 4:47 pm

vic7767 wrote:Not sure on your Mac but iRobot provides the communications driver that needs to be downloaded from their website in order to then download a firmware update.

Please see my previous post - that thing they offer for download does not recognize my Scooba.
It's this one from here: http://www.irobot.com/For-the-Home/Floo ... loads.aspx

Step 5 here is where I am stuck: http://homesupport.irobot.com/app/answe ... /related/1
- I can't reach step 6 because nothing happens.

We tried it on both Mac and PC (Windows), same issue.
babakonda
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » December 4th, 2016, 5:45 pm

OK, got it. You can suspect either a defective micro USB connector or bad cable between the Scooba and computer.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby babakonda » December 4th, 2016, 7:58 pm

I tried three different cables (all three work on the same usb port on my mac normally, with another device), that should be fine.
Also, what's especially weird, microUSB connector on Scooba seems to be (at least partially) working: Scooba is off, I plug the cable in it...Scooba is still off...I plug another end of that cable in usb port on my mac > Scooba wakes up!
So it does understand it has been plugged into something.

USB ports on my mac are 3.0 but I tried on 2.0 and nothing changed.
Looks like this is going to remain a mystery :)

My partner tried it on Windows which are running on his Mac (via Fusion). Last thought - maybe I can try using an actual PC laptop...a friend has one. This is so frustrating!
babakonda
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » December 4th, 2016, 8:02 pm

One more thing to try. Remove the Scooba battery for a few minutes, then install it and test with your setup.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby babakonda » December 7th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Thanks - no luck with that either.

But... Problem solved - success! :mrgreen:
Thanks to a hint from Tod Kurt (whom I managed to contact and bother with this issue).
It turns out that not all microusb>usb cables are the same: there are charging cables and data cables (2 wires vs 4 wires etc). So the issue was that all three working cables I had at home were actually charging-only cables!
I had not realized that as I use those cables to charge powerbanks only (and they work fine that way).

So today I bought a new cable labeled 'data cable' and - all connected fine to my Mac, and I updated from 1.2.6 to 1.2.8!

Thanks for your help, Ed; and thanks to Tod for pointing out those cable differences :violin:
babakonda
Robot Groupie

Postby babakonda » December 8th, 2016, 10:42 am

So, I updated from 1.2.6 to apparently the latest 1.2.8

What I noticed to be different is:
- Scooba doesn't start in the circle anymore - on 1.2.6 as I would place it in the middle of the room, it would initially start spiraling from that spot for a while. But now on 1.2.8, it immediately starts to drive to the front until it bumps into an obstacle, and looks as if it tries to determine the space first by then following its outer walls/edges/VW barriers
- another change which was probably already noted is that it seems to have improved 'escape' behaviour (while it still get stuck on my 45º wall skirt, same as it used to)
- I've now seen it circle close around the single rounded leg on my bar, which it didn't do before
- it seems (this is now a subjective opinion) that it either dries the floor quicker, or that suction power has been raised

Has anyone else noticed these or other behavioural changes?
babakonda
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » December 9th, 2016, 5:03 pm

I have 2 Scooba 450s with 1.2.8 firmware. Both start the cleaning cycle just like the Dirt Dog and other Roomba models. They begin with a forward move for a couple of feet, then change direction and repeat once more then begin a clockwise circle movement unit a bumper sensor is triggered then its off to random movements.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » December 9th, 2016, 8:07 pm

I don't know if it could be related but my old roomba reds have at least one bad side tach each. If you leave the battery in they remember that and start cleaning with a normal spiral. If the battery was taken out and put back in they go in a straight line before they figure out a tach is broken and then they act normal. Maybe your scooba has a bad tach. I doubt it but thought I would share what I have seen.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Suntor » June 3rd, 2017, 4:29 pm

After connecting Scooba 450 to USB, Windows pops up the «USB device not recognized» message.
In Device Manager:
Scooba driver failed.png

Tried all combinations (start scoobaupdate.exe and plug USB, plug USB and start scoobaupdate.exe). Tried to update driver, but unsuccessfully... Can anyone make a screenshot of Device Manager window to show right driver name and version?
Suntor

Postby Suntor » June 9th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Answer myself:

The last (v.1.0.5) iRobotScoobaUpdateSetupWin7_x64.exe (and iRobotScoobaUpdateSetupWin7_x32.exe) from http://www.irobot.com/For-the-Home/Floor-Scrubbing/Scooba-OLD/Scooba450Downloads.aspx doesn't contain the Scooba driver files.

So, go to http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com, type into the search field «iRobot» and download Scooba driver *.cab archive:
Scooba driver (1) — Скачиваем драйвер.png

Unpack driver files from it (iRobot_Scooba.inf, irobot_scooba.cat):
Scooba driver (2) — Распаковываем архив драйвера.png
Scooba driver (2) — Распаковываем архив драйвера.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 2042 times

And install Scooba driver:
Scooba driver (3) — Установка драйвера.png

Scooba driver (4) — Установленный драйвер.png
Scooba driver (4) — Установленный драйвер.png (14.47 KiB) Viewed 2042 times

After that, iRobot Scooba Update can detect and update Scooba.
Suntor

Postby saba11 » June 10th, 2017, 4:31 am

Thanks a lot, Suntor! This helped me solve the issue I was having with my Scooba 450.
saba11

Postby Botty » September 15th, 2018, 12:06 pm

does anyone have the last firmware update for mac, by any chance? all the old links seem dead, including those on iRobot's site.
Botty
Robot Groupie

Postby ryxx » September 15th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Im looking for the firmware updates and software too - irobot links are broken. Anyone happen to have the 1.2.8 firmware and irobot software download on their machine anywhere ?
ryxx

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat