Wheel falling out Roomba 650

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Wheel falling out Roomba 650

Postby sformby » May 9th, 2015, 9:40 pm

So, I just took apart my 650 to change the battery for the first time.

Now, I'm putting it back together and seem to be losing my mind.

The front wheel (black, white) that I think is called the "jockey wheel" now just falls right out of its housing.

Did I break something?

Is there a trick to getting it to stay in place? I'm pressing down, but there is no "snapping" noise.

Was the debris I removed from it the only thing keeping it in place? I'm only halfway kidding here.

Any hints?

Thanks!!!!!
sformby

Re: Wheel falling out Roomba 650

Postby vic7767 » May 9th, 2015, 10:19 pm

There is a small metal clip that normally snaps into the grove on the metal shaft that the wheel is attached to. If that small spring clip becomes worn, loose, damaged in some way then it won't hold the front wheel shaft in place. The front wheel swivel component also houses the IR sensor used to detect the rotation of the front wheel, that's why it's black and white. That part will need to be dis-assembled to access the retaining clip to either repair or replace.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » May 11th, 2015, 12:13 pm

sformby wrote:
Is there a trick to getting it to stay in place? I'm pressing down, but there is no "snapping" noise.

Was the debris I removed from it the only thing keeping it in place? I'm only halfway kidding here.

Any hints?

Thanks!!!!!

Yes, the debris was holding the axle on the front wheel assembly. lol. Read my fix below.

The black/white wheel is designed to be held by fiction onto the wheel assembly. The black/white wheel should be spinning freely on the axle - NOT with the axle. Overtime, if the cleaning was not kept up, the dirt and debris will not let the wheel spinning freely. Instead of the wheel spinning freely on the axle, the wheel is spinning WITH the axle. Since the axle is held onto the assembly by fiction only, over time, the turning axle will grind the assembly which will not hold on the axle any more. This is the reason why you do not hear the snapping noise any more.

Is the black/white wheel spinning freely over the axle?
If not, take the axle off the black/white wheel and cleaning it.

You can wrap a narrow piece masking tape on both ends of the axle. This will increase the axle diameter in order to have tight fix onto the assembly. The tape is replacing the debris which you removed. It is that easy.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » May 11th, 2015, 2:26 pm

I may have misunderstood the swivel wheel issue. Here is another picture to help possibly explain why the front wheel won't stay in place. As the debris builds up inside the wheel and is not visible from the outside it will eventually prevent the wheel from spinning on the metal axle and actually start spinning the axle and wheel as one unit. Since the axle is not designed to spin it begins to wear down the ends of the plastic that it normally snaps into. That is what leads to the solution that TechGuy has described.
Attachments
asw.jpg
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby estephanovich » June 22nd, 2018, 7:16 pm

Sorry to comment on an old thread, but I was having the same issue. I did what techguy recommended , adding a thin strip of masking tape to each side of the axel, and it was a great solve to the issue! Though I think this likely only be a temporary fix, so I have also ordered a new assembly since it's only $6.99 on amazon http://a.co/gDKvTgG which will be a better permanent solution, it also seems that they have improved the design of the wheel caster assembly to specifically address this issue
estephanovich

Postby ps0001 » June 26th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Let us know how it works. I was reading the reviews for that part, and it seems like it's not suited for pet owners. In fact, I think any version of the front caster has some fatal flaws if you're a pet owner. I've never owned a Neato, but I like how the cleaning head is at the front of the robot, followed by the drive wheels, then two casters at the rear. By the time the casters roll over the floor, it's already been vacuumed.

Barring that, iRobot could have integrated something called a "thread guard" into the mold for the plastic caster housing. These things are simple devices that have been used on commercial and industrial casters to protect the axles from hair/fur/fibers. I suppose the front caster is good enough for many users, but it's far from optimal for pet owners.
ps0001
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat