Second Roomba 980 Casualty: Carpet Boost sensing

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Second Roomba 980 Casualty: Carpet Boost sensing

Postby jdong » December 1st, 2015, 3:15 pm

So, my first 980 had to go back to the mothership because it had a ridiculously high-pitched fan. The second one I got has been going strong for a month, but I recently noticed that it no longer automatically detects carpet correctly. Even when going over carpet, it would constantly oscillate between low and high fan speed.

I did my basic troubleshooting -- used the app to force Eco Mode and force Carpet Boost mode -- both modes work just fine. So, it has to be how the bot is automatically detecting carpet. From third_deg's knowledge, our best guess is that it's using the optical sensor for this detection. I cleaned out the optical sensor thoroughly, and cleaned the extractors too for good measure. No difference.

Fortunately, after telling iRobot the same thing, they directly said my robot needs to be replaced. They are sending me a new 980 and I only have to send back mine upon receipt of the new one.

Overall, A+ for customer service. It seems like the problem area for the 980 is the new Carpet Boost feature -- it's loud, and now the passive sensor on mine has failed.

I'll continue to keep everyone updated regarding any further problems I have. Reliability is a big concern for bot owners. Overall though, I'm still a very satisfied Roomba 980 owner. It is still the bot I would get all over again, and still the one I recommend to family and friends.
jdong
Robot Addict

Re: Second Roomba 980 Casualty: Carpet Boost sensing

Postby twisted_firestarter » December 1st, 2015, 5:22 pm

When I talked to iRobot support and showed them an audio clip, they said it was operating normally. I guess the 980 is just higher pitched than the Neato.
twisted_firestarter

Postby jdong » December 1st, 2015, 5:27 pm

twisted_firestarter wrote:When I talked to iRobot support and showed them an audio clip, they said it was operating normally. I guess the 980 is just higher pitched than the Neato.

The 980 is indeed higher pitched than the Neato, but mine in particular had a nearly ear piercing whistle. My second 980 is still higher pitched but it was not that extreme.

Unfortunately, yeah, I don't know how support can determine this from a video. I doubt most people have the audio recording equipment necessary to capture the difference.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby gregj » December 1st, 2015, 5:55 pm

Mine is very high pitched and noisy overall, even without the boost mode on. I guess that's the new motor they put inside the dust bin.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby Estarter » December 1st, 2015, 7:59 pm

[quote="jdong"]I did my basic troubleshooting -- used the app to force Eco Mode and force Carpet Boost mode -- both modes work just fine. So, it has to be how the bot is automatically detecting carpet. From third_deg's knowledge, our best guess is that it's using the optical sensor for this detection. I cleaned out the optical sensor thoroughly, and cleaned the extractors too for good measure. No difference.

Are you using the stock battery that came with it or the 4400 battery. The reason why I ask is I put the 4400 battery in and found out it will not work for the carpet sensing, mine stayed on high the whole time. I put the stock battery back in , then it worked normally again.
Estarter
Robot Addict

Postby jdong » December 1st, 2015, 10:54 pm

I am using the stock battery.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » December 1st, 2015, 11:02 pm

Estarter wrote:I put the stock battery back in , then it worked normally again.

I'll bet that if you put the Lithium Power pack back into your 980 it will also work. Removing any battery from your Roomba basically performs a soft reset. The reset cleared the Vacuum boost software setting and the carpet sensor.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Estarter » December 1st, 2015, 11:49 pm

As you and I know, I put a 4400 battery that was ment for the 880 which I know now it wont work in a 980. I bad!
Just glad I didn't bugger it up!

As usual, thanks for your help Vic.
Estarter
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » December 2nd, 2015, 12:04 am

Thanks, we're all learning some new things with the introduction of the 980 and Lithium batteries as well.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » December 3rd, 2015, 4:50 pm

jdong wrote:So, my first 980 had to go back to the mothership because it had a ridiculously high-pitched fan.

Have you tried to disassemble dustbin fan-compartment to investigate for the failure? Maybe impeller rotor came off the motor shaft, causing scratching noise. I had this problem with my Samsung Navibot in the past. I repaired it on myself with ease glue the shaft with the fan. You may want to check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14674
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby jdong » December 3rd, 2015, 7:23 pm

piokrza wrote:
jdong wrote:So, my first 980 had to go back to the mothership because it had a ridiculously high-pitched fan.

Have you tried to disassemble dustbin fan-compartment to investigate for the failure? Maybe impeller rotor came off the motor shaft, causing scratching noise. I had this problem with my Samsung Navibot in the past. I repaired it on myself with ease glue the shaft with the fan. You may want to check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14674

I've not tried since I am under warranty and would rather not void it yet :)
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » December 4th, 2015, 12:46 pm

So, why you won't to send it back for repair? :)
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby jdong » December 4th, 2015, 1:01 pm

piokrza wrote:So, why you won't to send it back for repair? :)

I am, essentially. iRobot is sending me a replacement robot and A return shipping label to return this one to them.

They are essentially doing an advance hardware replacement in enterprise lingo, which makes me pretty satisfied from a customer service perspective.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby Estarter » December 4th, 2015, 5:24 pm

jdong wrote:

I am, essentially. iRobot is sending me a replacement robot and A return shipping label to return this one to them.

They are essentially doing an advance hardware replacement in enterprise lingo, which makes me pretty satisfied from a customer service perspective.

I agree they have been great in sending hardware replacements. And as the days go on I have been loving the 980 and hope it carries on with no trouble.....(knocking on wood) :) .......but I will be finding out if I end up with the same problem as you. I will be using the boost once a week while the rest it will be running on eco.
Estarter
Robot Addict

Postby jdong » December 4th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Estarter wrote:
jdong wrote:

I agree they have been great in sending hardware replacements. And as the days go on I have been loving the 980 and hope it carries on with no trouble.....(knocking on wood) :) .......but I will be finding out if I end up with the same problem as you. I will be using the boost once a week while the rest it will be running on eco.

Yeah. I've been quite happy with the longevity of my previous iRobot purchases, so hopefully it's just a one-off experience. Keep us updated on your experiences too!
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby Twentworth12 » February 21st, 2016, 11:51 am

Has anyone else had this happen? My carpet boost detection started failing today, even after an exhaustive cleaning session. I've send a note to support but hoping there might be something I haven't tried yet.
Twentworth12

Postby vic7767 » February 21st, 2016, 1:39 pm

My 980 does this during the BiTs. The carpet detector FAILS the test but does work on my light brown berber carpet but not on my thicker light brown throw rug that I use for cover on my workbench.

factory-test 20 navigation-sensors
wait: (= nav-factory-test-mode mission-state-testing-bit)
wait: (nav-status-flag? passive-test-ready)
(behaviorlink-gyro-ok?) PASS
wait: (/= nav-factory-test-mode mission-state-testing-bit)
wait: (/= (nav-bit-report.get-flags) -1)
navigation-sensors results
calibration optical-floor-sensor:1 gyro-gain:1 gyro-linearity:1 camera-int:1 camera-ext:1
flags:0 gyro:162 deg odom:348 deg mouse:142 mm arclen:367 mm
current delta odom:186 deg max delta odom:20 deg current delta mouse:225 mm max delta mouse:30 mm
(nav-calibration-ok?) PASS
(optical-floor-sensor-ok?) FAIL
(gyro-sensor-ok?) FAIL

Part of this failure event is due to the way I'm performing this test. It will be best to perform the tests untethored. When attempting to keep the robot on the workbench, I do believe my mechanical attempt to keep the robot confined caused these failure results. When I perform this test hands free and on the berber carpet the results are that the tests pass.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Estarter » February 24th, 2016, 12:00 am

I said I would report if anything came up with the 980 about the carpet boost sensing. I noticed that in certain areas the boost shuts down then comes on again a foot later. Now......there are flat spots on the carpet in different areas.....flat spots meaning walking traffic. So I don't know if it is a unit problem or is the sensor picking up the pile height difference on the carpet?
The 980 when it gets to the threshold from tile to carpet the boost kicks in and when it goes from carpet to tile the boost shuts down, so that part works great. Could it be the pile height on the carpet that effects the sensor?
Estarter
Robot Addict

Postby reedphillips » September 7th, 2018, 6:50 pm

My 980 was stuck in Carpet Boost mode but after some experimenting, I think I figured it out. The debris extractor motors appear to measure the resistance to rotation and enter Boost mode when resistance is detected. The extractor should spin easily when removed. I have a Golden Mutt with fine hair that penetrates everything. Hair had worked its way around the spindle next to the bearing/bushing that should easily spin. It would turn easily, but would not "spin". It had a bit of drag. Once I removed the end, the one with the 2 prongs, and cleaned the spindle everything worked like it did when new.

I also have a DEEBOT OZMO 930 that someone gave me because it stopped working. I got it going and now I have it dual with the 980. I start them at the same time at opposite ends of the house. The Deebot always wins. The 980 must recharge to complete. I must say I am impressed with the Deebot. It is so quiet, it is hard to believe it is working. I have all hardwood floors, so the Carpet Boost is not a requirement. The Deebot could never handle carpets like the 980. The 930 navigation system is also very impressive.
reedphillips

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat