Roomba 980 sensor paper trick not working

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 980 sensor paper trick not working

Postby bleomycin » January 5th, 2016, 5:06 pm

I have some carpet that has large enough sections of black on it that my roomba's get stuck on them. On my 880 I covered the sensors with white paper and problem solved. I've tried the same with the 980 and it isn't having it at all, refuses to start and says please move roomba. I've also tried aluminum foil on the 980, same result. Has anyone had any success with this? Thanks!

bleomycin

Re: Roomba 980 sensor paper trick not working

Postby aarolar » January 5th, 2016, 5:45 pm

My 880 did this also when I tried this trick ended up getting rid of the carpet for a new shorter pile rug anyway.
aarolar

Postby vic7767 » January 5th, 2016, 7:09 pm

What you have to do is make sure that the 3 x 5 card stock is cut with the right width and length to completely cover each of the 6 cliff sensors. It only takes one poorly covered sensor to create the problem.

The easiest way to verify that the cliff sensors are covered properly is to cut the paper so that it overlaps the face of the cliff sensor while also extending down past the clear plastic cover on both the front and back of each sensor.

Then place the Roomba 980 into the Built in Test mode and make sure that there are no triggered cliff sensors while holding the Roomba up away from the floor.
Attachments
IMG_0308.JPG
Roomba 980 with all six cliff sensors covered.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby bleomycin » January 5th, 2016, 8:31 pm

vic7767 wrote:What you have to do is make sure that the 3 x 5 card stock is cut with the right width and length to completely cover each of the 6 cliff sensors. It only takes one poorly covered sensor to create the problem.

The easiest way to verify that the cliff sensors are covered properly is to cut the paper so that it overlaps the face of the cliff sensor while also extending down past the clear plastic cover on both the front and back of each sensor.

Then place the Roomba 980 into the Built in Test mode and make sure that there are no triggered cliff sensors while holding the Roomba up away from the floor.

Thanks for the reply Vic! I did push the paper behind the back of the sensor and I removed the front bumper when installing the paper on the front sensors to make sure it completely covered them. But now that I know it can work that gives me motivation to give it another try. Perhaps i'll try different paper this time around as well.

Do you know if these instructions for test mode apply to the 980: http://www.robotshop.com/media/files/pd ... -tests.pdf

Thank you.
bleomycin

Postby vic7767 » January 5th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Yes, the procedure is the same for all Roombas from the 500 through the 900 and the Scooba 450.

The term paper implies something like printer paper which is too thin. 3 x 5 white card stock is what I use. You can find it in the school supplies aisle of most stores.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby ZdenniZ » January 17th, 2016, 11:49 pm

Let me share how I resolved this issue. The problem is that if you use just paper, it is too close to the sensor and doesn't reflect the transmitters signal where it should go. To rectify this I used ribbed pieces of CD cases as diffusing lenses:

Just cut out small pieces of the ribbed plastic and then tape it to the sensors with aluminum tape. Works like a charm!

ZdenniZ

Postby glnc222 » January 18th, 2016, 3:56 am

If anyone knows the part identification of the IR proximity detector component used for the cliff sensors I would be curious to compare it with the sensors used by Neato Robotics, since those did not seem to be so sensitive to black materials. Maybe something in the data sheets would provide clues. (Component maker ID, not iRobot's.)
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby ZdenniZ » January 18th, 2016, 4:22 am

I'd say reflective black surfaces are fine for the robot. In my case the problem was with the carpet which has contrasty black and bumpy ornament. So black surfaces which actually trap the light must be an issue for any robot using an infrared way of sensing height. If it was a mere visible light, that could probably make things better.
ZdenniZ

Postby glnc222 » January 21st, 2016, 12:46 am

I think this kind of sensor needs to work in IR for several reasons. Mainly the ambient light in visible wavelengths is too high to easily distinguish pulses from the sensor emitter. The detector would be saturated by ambient visible light. Lots of visibly dark things can also reflect enough IR. Dark things would more readily absorb the visible spectrum as well. The IR led's and phototransistors are easy to make.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby AllThatJazz » May 8th, 2018, 10:38 am

Just got our 980, on our 880 the cliff sensor paper trick worked not so much on the 980, we haven't tried the cd case trick yet ... lack of cd cases, my god it's 2018! but what worry's me the most is that there is no confirmation of this for 2 years ... so I'm wondering if it's a bogus trick or just unconfirmed or is this forum mostly dead?
AllThatJazz

Postby taufiqhabib » May 27th, 2018, 6:21 am

I have a 650 which marginally works with paper - will try the CD case edge trick
Where to get CD cases in 2018? Your nearby dollar store
taufiqhabib

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat