Issues with my new Roomba 865

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Issues with my new Roomba 865

Postby Robottom » March 2nd, 2016, 8:05 pm

I have aquired a new Roomba 865, and been using it for some 10 days.
I'm really impressed and very satisfied with how well it cleans my carpets, especially as I've got 2 pet german shepherds and 2 cats.

However its not easy to find clear information on which types of remte controls and virtual walls (or ligthhouses) that will work with my 865.
Everywhere information can be found, its always the "800 series" not the exact 865 model.
I've got the impression, that the 865 is a basic 800 series model, which does not have the necessary built in interface to work with remotes and/or E-walls, like its bigger 866, 870, 876 and 880 brothers.

I have aquired 2 second hand lighthouse/walls, of the usual black design, but none of them seems to impress my Roomba. The Roomba pushes these walls aside as if they were just some toy obstacles.
The lighthouses flashes green for a few seconds when I install the batteries. I believe this is an indication they are working. I've switched the lighthouse to virtual wall mode.
But none of the 2 walls are detected by the 865.

Also I've aquired a second hand WCC remote, the circular type, which should be paired to the 865 before use.
Following the pairing - or un-pairing - procedures are to no avail, the 865 does not care at all.
Only the WCC will flash the days indicators from left to right, and the flashing stops, if clean button (on WCC) is pressed for more than 3 seconds.

Please enlighten me, someone :(
Robottom

Re: Issues with my new Roomba 865

Postby vic7767 » March 2nd, 2016, 8:55 pm

Your model does not have the RF Zigbee interface and will not work with the Virtual Wall / Lighthouse or WCC accessory. You could order the 900 model Virtual wall, it's a much smaller and better designed accessory that will work with your 865.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby a1robotrepair » March 2nd, 2016, 9:01 pm

If I read this correctly, your EU 865 is a US 870. Read the KYN8XXX number on the chassis under the bin and let us know what that number is.

The 870 has no Radio Frequency tech on board. The Virtual Wall Lighthouses don't work on non RF, only the Virtual Walls, mini black auto VWs should have come with it.

The round WCC is for the 500 series and needs RF also. The WCC for the 800 series, 880 and above, is compatible with the 700 series WCC.

Hope this helps
Welcome Robbotom, For easier searching and how to use this forum please read "Read First" and "ROBOT WIKI".
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby Robottom » March 3rd, 2016, 12:35 pm

Thank you vic7767 and a1robotrepair for your answers !

As I read your answers, my 865 does not have RF interface, which is exactly the type of interface utilized by the accessories I've aquired. Instead we are talking by IR interface on the 865 - right ?

My 865 s/n is KYN.865.041.506.090.303.470 (periods for readability), and yes we are in Denmark, EU.
The 865 was sold as a special offer on sale, and it did not come with any accessories at all. Only the basic cleaner ready to go with the Home Base charger and manuals. The factory box had no cut-outs or bends to hold accessories, so it definately is a basic model, to suit the price tags for competitors locally.

Ah well - another Arduino Mini project on my whiteboard :lol:
(Wife says no, go find the the right accessories instead ! :roll: )

Thanx a lot guys, highly appreciated :D
Robottom

Postby vic7767 » March 3rd, 2016, 5:24 pm

Robottom wrote:As I read your answers, my 865 does not have RF interface, which is exactly the type of interface utilized by the accessories I've aquired. Instead we are talking by IR interface on the 865 - right ?
Yes
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Robottom » March 3rd, 2016, 7:43 pm

Thx confirming the problem vic.
I'm glad it's not a problem with my Roomba, I love it !

I had a look around on your website, lots of interesting stuff you've got there, keep up this good work !
I've been reading through quite a few postings on the RF/lighthouse issues here on forum.
Really got me thinking, so I decided to take apart one of my lighthouses.

And there, right before my eyes, I found a piggyback RF PCB (reconed by the L-shaped antenna pcb track) looking exactly like the RF PCB pictured on lighthouse capable Roomba main boards.
It makes sense that the lighthouse would use the same type RF interface, so a lighthouse seems to be a candidate donor for a Zigbee RF upgrade to a Roomba mainboard.

However that would have to wait until warranty runs out on my 865, but it sure made me thinking, with lots of second hand 500/600/700 Roombas for sale around here.
Robottom

Postby Botty » February 9th, 2019, 8:39 pm

vic7767 wrote:Your model does not have the RF Zigbee interface and will not work with the Virtual Wall / Lighthouse or WCC accessory. You could order the 900 model Virtual wall, it's a much smaller and better designed accessory that will work with your 865.

Vic, to your knowledge has anyone ever written a comprehensive list of all the roomba variations and what differentiates them?

It’s so hard trying to piece together which model does what, especially when different sites have directly conflicting comparisons.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » February 9th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Botty wrote:Vic, to your knowledge has anyone ever written a comprehensive list of all the roomba variations and what differentiates them?
Not to my knowledge.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » February 11th, 2019, 5:37 am

vic7767 wrote:
Botty wrote:Vic, to your knowledge has anyone ever written a comprehensive list of all the roomba variations and what differentiates them?
Not to my knowledge.

shame, would be such a useful resource
Botty
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat