Scooba alternative solutions

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Scooba alternative solutions

Postby Gordon » March 4th, 2014, 1:02 pm

abuttino wrote:Does anyone here know the dilution mix for Mr. Clean?
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=57825#p57825
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby djos » June 7th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Has anyone found an alternative that works and is available in Aussie supermarkets?

I spent 1/2 an hour looking in Coles and could find a single hard floor cleaner than mentions it is machine cleaner compatible.
Current Robot's:
Neato BotVac 80 w/ Li-NMC Battery , 2x XV11 w/ Li-NMC Battery
iRobot Roomba 561 w/ NiMh Battery & Aerovac Bin, Scooba 380 w/ Li-NMC Battery

Previous Robots:
iRobot Roomba 562PE w/ Aerovac Bin & Sealed-bearing CHM
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby djos » June 14th, 2014, 3:29 am

Ok so no one seemed to be able to answer my question so I took a punt on Mr. Muscle "Total Floor" cleaner anti-bacterial despite no reference to being machine compatible.

Anyway I got a chance to try it out today on our tiled kitchen dining room and it did a great job!

The internals of our Scooba where noticeably cleaner too with none of the usual gunk build up and there was no unwanted foaming or slippery surface causing traction issues. It's designed to dry in-place too!

Overall for iirc about $8aud it beats the snot out of the Scooba branded stuff! :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402730948.444822.jpg
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » June 14th, 2014, 7:26 am

I wanted to see what USA product this was similar to and a wiki article mentioned scrubbing bubbles which is a multi-surface bathroom cleaner.

I wonder if Mr Muscle competes with Mr Clean. Both dudes seem to have a lot of muscle :)
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby djos » June 14th, 2014, 7:28 am

Mr muscle is by Johnson iirc Mr Clean is by proctor and gamble so prolly not the same product.

I was very impressed by Mr. Muscle, the floor had a nice clean crisp finish with no residue and my scooba was in great shape too! :)
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby Roombascoobatastic » June 14th, 2014, 5:07 pm

On another note, I tried a product people should avoid using in their scoobas... I tried Lysol Multi-surface cleaner in my scoobas and it made the peristaltic pump stick closed on the 230. I had to take off the clear rubbery tube, rub it between my finger and thumb to get it unstuck... Seems to soften the inside of the tube, and when the roller rests on the tube, it fuses closed, preventing normal operation. No issue with the 390 but switched back to Mr Clean when the Lysol began causing problems.
Sincerely,

Rick
Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor

Postby phreich » August 3rd, 2014, 3:29 am

Hi,

After reading in this thread that, in the US (and probably Canada), Mr. Clean might be adding Febreze to all their hard surface cleaning liquids, and that the Febreze was causing problems with the Scoobas, I decided to go to the manufacturer's website for the product and do some research. It turns out that this seems to be correct -- even the anti-bacterial version is getting Febreze added. However, there still seems to be a Mr. Clean floor cleaner that does not yet indicate it has Febreze added. That product is a semi-commercial version that is marketed for and sold in home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes, called "Multi-Surface Liquid Cleaner Your Home Pro", and is sold in gallon jugs.

Here's the info from the manufacturer's page:
(URL: http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/multi-surf ... r-home-pro)

Multi-Surface Liquid Cleaner Your Home Pro:
For really big jobs, you need a really big bottle. These Mr. Clean products are available in large-format bottles at home improvement stores. Make sure your tough jobs are done right. Mr. Clean's "Your Home Pro" Liquid cuts grease, removing grime and leaving a light, fresh scent as you go. Use it to clean your most challenging messes from linoleum, tile, toilets and bathtubs. It’s also perfect for exterior garbage cans, doors and more. No matter where you try it, you’ll get a great clean in no time at all.

I haven't used it myself yet, but hopefully it will be an acceptable replacement for the older version of the anti-bacterial Mr. Clean that didn't have Febreeze added.

UPDATE: looking at the ingredient list on the manufacturer's website, it looks like some of the "Your Home Pro" solutions are going to contain Febreze. The one that doesn't show it is called "Mr Clean Your Home Pro Liquid Antibacterial - Summer Citrus". Hopefully it will remain Febreze-free for the foreseeable future.

Here's a picture of the product from the Home Depot web site:

(Note, this post updated -- the spelling of Febreze corrected from Fabreze to Febreze.)
Last edited by phreich on August 20th, 2014, 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phreich

Postby Gordon » August 3rd, 2014, 10:26 am

phreich wrote:...After reading in this thread that, in the US (and probably Canada), Mr. Clean might be adding Fabreze to all their hard surface cleaning liquids, and that the Fabreze was causing problems with the Scoobas, I decided to...
Please cite the robot reviews post (or any other source) that describes those "problems with the Scoobas".
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby phreich » August 4th, 2014, 6:20 am

Hi Gordon,

I suggest starting to read on page ten of this thread. Here's a link to the first of a number of posts that identify issues using the Mr. Clean product that includes Febreze:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1917&start=180#p81477

There are quite a few posts on later pages that discuss about avoiding the "Febreze" added Mr. Clean products.

I hope this helps.

(Note, this post updated to correct spelling of Febreze from Fabreze).
Last edited by phreich on August 20th, 2014, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
phreich

Postby Roombascoobatastic » August 4th, 2014, 8:52 am

This is the product you can continue using once the household versions all have febreeze added.
image.jpg
Safe for Scoobas
image.jpg (49.47 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
Sincerely,

Rick
Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor

Postby Gordon » August 4th, 2014, 11:59 am

phreich wrote:... Here's a link to the first of a number of posts that identify issues using the Mr. Clean product that includes Fabreze:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1917&start=180#p81477 ...
I hope this helps.
Indeed it did help!

I had run searches on this long thread for "Fabreze", and followed with searching the entire rr website, but found only your post! Today, it is clear that your spelling of the product name is off by one letter!

Techguy, in his reply (heading up your links sampling) nailed the problem that Febreze causes in Scooba's clean chamber--when the chamber goes empty, and the user does not flush it with clean water, constituents in Febreze precipitate out as a sticky coating that blocks openings of the very small mesh filter screen preceding the chamber's outlet valve. Here are pix of that valve's filter:
metalScreenFIlter.jpg

This framed screen, part of the valve body, is visible through the clean-chamber's floor.

wire-mesh_w_0.5mmScale.jpg

Superimposed scale of 0.5mm spacing (~3.5 fuzzy ruler lines) suggests wire mesh pitch (unit cell size) of 0.25mm. Anything gooey / sticky / and not readily soluble in water will block solution flow rate out of the clean chamber!

So phreich, in closing, I would like to say that I found your OP to be a scholarly report of your detective work on this matter!
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby phreich » August 20th, 2014, 11:27 am

Gordon wrote:So phreich, in closing, I would like to say that I found your OP to be a scholarly report of your detective work on this matter!

Thanks, Gordon, for your kind words. Thanks also for the informing me that the nasty unwanted additive is spelled "Febreze" not "Fabreze". I have updated the two posts I made with the correction. It explains why I was also having trouble getting hits on this when doing thread searches....

I decided to put a note on the bottom of both posts indicating the change, and purposely mentioned the wrong spelling -- that way the next person that does a search with the wrong spelling like you and I did will at least get hits on those correction notes.

This last bit is a little off-topic.... Now I have a run into a happy dilemma -- I decided to purchase a second as-is "parts" Scooba on Ebay so I would have a ready supply of parts to keep my old 5900 going if and when parts should fail. There's a problem -- when the machine arrived and I put a good battery in it, it turns out that the "parts" machine is fully functional! It doesn't make sense to me to keep a perfectly good Scooba out of service, so I guess I'll just have to sell it and look for another parts machine. I did, however, get a good functioning external charger with that Scooba that I will be keeping.

One other thing -- do you know of anyone who might have a 5900 OSMO firmware update that they don't need anymore? Irobot has decided to no longer make OSMOs available for anything but the current generation. I'd like to keep it rather than borrow it because tinkering with these is becoming a hobby, and I'll need it again. I did start a new post with this request -- but I thought I would ask you as you are listed as a "Robot Master".

Thanks again,

Philip
phreich

Postby Gordon » August 20th, 2014, 11:25 pm

phreich wrote:Thanks, Gordon, ...
You are welcome, Philip!
Congratulations for coming into a "happy dilemma".
...I did, however, get a good functioning external charger with that Scooba that I will be keeping.
That's what I use. Using the Charging Base keeps heat off the mobo and somewhat reduces heating the battery compared to charging in the robot.
... -- do you know of anyone who might have a 5900 OSMO firmware update that they don't need anymore?
Sorry, no. By this late date, those in possession of OSMOs may tend to covet them.
...I did start a new post with this request -- but I thought I would ask you as you are listed as a "Robot Master". ...
Hah! That's just more proof that you can't believe everything you read on the internet!

You might try listing your Scooba for sale, and asking for the OSMO in rr's Buy/Sell/Trade forum.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby phreich » August 21st, 2014, 12:05 am

Roombascoobatastic wrote:This is the product you can continue using once the household versions all have febreeze added.

Interesting -- I wonder what the difference is between the "Home Pro" version is, which matches the scent and the anti-bacterial of the original product, and the "institutional" hard surface cleaner, which specifically mentions it to be low-foaming and suitable for floor cleaning machines (I assume commercial machines like zamboni's). The difference in price at Home Depot is $7.50/gallon for the "Home Pro", and $18/gallon for the "institutional" product -- note the "institutional" product isn't stocked in the store, but has to be ordered online as a case of 3 ($54), with free delivery to the store.

The "home pro" product number is: 003700023123
The bottle is labeled: "Your Home Pro Mr Clean Multi Surfaces Antibacterial"

The "institutional" product number is: PGC 02621
The bottle is labeled: "Mr Clean M.NET Finished Floor Cleaner"

I will contact Proctor and Gamble and to find out what, if any, difference there is between the two besides the "Institutional" product not mentioning anti-bacterial properties. I suspect that, given the price difference, the "institutional" product may be more concentrated. I will also ask them if either product is the same formula as the European consumer version discussed earlier in this thread that doesn't have the Febreze added.

I'll post what I find out.
phreich

Postby phreich » September 5th, 2014, 5:30 am

Update:
Okay, I've gone round-one with the Proctor and Gamble folks. They sent a generic reply that did not answer the questions I asked them regarding the differences between the two products, and whether or not there was an equivalent to the European "delicate floor" version that is ph neutral.

When I replied to them and asked them to answer the questions I submitted, they gave the following lame response:
Thanks again for contacting Mr Clean.

I’m sorry you are disappointed, because the amount of help I can offer via e-mail is limited, please call the toll-free number (800) 214-8734. We’re available between 9am and 6pm EST, Monday through Friday.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Karretta D.
Mr Clean Team

Seems strange they can't answer technical questions regarding their products via email -- I asked them to forward the message along to their technical departments, but they didn't and instead gave me the answer above.... We'll see how the phone call goes.

I went to Home Depot and purchased "Mr Clean Your Home Pro Liquid Antibacterial - Summer Citrus", and while I was there compared it to the 40 ounce bottle, and the ingredient list is exactly the same -- it's just a bigger quantity at a significant discount. I also noted that the smaller bottle on the shelves still did not have Febreze added.

I then tried the cleaner in my 5900, and attempted to use the amount suggested on the bottle -- which is 2 ounces to every gallon, or 1:64 ratio. Since the Scooba has about a 1 quart/1 liter tank, that means 1/2 ounce per tank is the recommended amount (which is a US tablespoon measure). I tried this, and it only worked for a couple of minutes and then started the drying cycle because it thought the tank was empty. I then doubled the amount to 2 tablespoons (1 ounce), and it completed the cleaning. There wasn't excess foaming, nor was the floor too slippery for the machine. Next time I will try 0.75 ounce and see if that's enough for the water level sensor to recognize. I want to use as little above the recommended amount as possible.

It's possible that 1/2 ounce will be sufficient for the subsequent 5800 and 3xx models. The 5900 is the initial version of the Scooba that can't run on water alone because the level sensor circuit isn't sensitive enough to recognize that plain water is present. The later models can, which is why 1/2 ounce may work in them.

I've seen other posts where folks are using 2 ounces of this MR. Clean solution in a Scooba tank. Per the bottle mixing directions, which recommends 2 ounces per gallon (1/2 ounce per quart), 2 ounces is 4 times the recommended amount to use -- it will likely attract dirt more quickly because excess product will remain on the floor.

How have other folks using the USA/Canadian Mr. Clean anti-bacterial multi-surface cleaner summer-citrus mixed the product for the 5900?

Regarding the commercial "Mr. Clean.mpro Finished Floor Cleaner"; I read up some more on the commercial Mr. Clean product. The commercial product looks to be more concentrated -- the recommended dilution is:
manual cleaning(1:128, or 1 ounce per gallon), automatic (commercial) machines (1:512, or 1/4 ounce per gallon). This means that for the Scooba, the dilution should be somewhere between 1/4 ounce per gallon and 1/16 ounce per gallon. The nearest US measure for 1/4 ounce is 1.5 teaspoons. 1/16 ounce is a bit more than 1/3 teaspoon. If I were testing this product, I would start with about 1/2 teaspoon, and work up from there -- and see what works best in the Scoobas. The 5900 will likely need more than the later models due to its lower tank level sensitivity. What experience have other 5900 users had with this product? How much is needed per Scooba tank?

One other thought regarding the 5900's "insensitive" tank level sensor and having to add extra cleaning product to get it to register with the Scooba -- I have read elsewhere that adding a pinch of salt can be enough to make the scooba register the cleaning solution is present. I have also read that Irobot sometimes recommends adding a pinch of baking soda to the tank for the same reason. Personally, I would think that the baking soda would be less corrosive to the Scooba's internals than salt would be. The idea here is that if the recommended dilution amount of the cleaning product causes the check-tank light to come on, maybe adding a pinch of these other common household chemicals (salt or baking soda) would keep us from having to use excess amounts of cleaner just to get the solution to register with the Scooba. What do others think about this?

I'll post another update once I talk to Procter and Gamble, as well as the result of using 0.75 ounces of the Mr. Clean next time I run the Scooba.
phreich

Postby djos » September 27th, 2014, 8:12 pm

For the Aussie's, I found another anti-bacterial product that works well in my scooba and has a much nicer smell than the other product I've posted here.

It's from an Aussie company called earth choice and it's supposed to be for timber floors etc but seems to work well on tiles too. It's available in Coles supermarkets and not very expensive at all plus it's quite economical as you only need 10ml's per 1ltr of water.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411863152.948188.jpg
Current Robot's:

Previous Robots:
Evolution Mint 4200
djos
Robot Addict

Postby phreich » September 27th, 2014, 8:22 pm

A quick update on my attempt to contact Proctor and Gamble customer service....

As the non-helpful email suggested, I contacted their live customer support via the phone number provided. Unfortunately, it went about as I expected -- they could not answer my questions -- nor were they very helpful in giving me contact information for someone in their corporation who might be able to answer the questions. It was like pulling teeth to get another contact number, and it was not for the corporate office like I requested, but for the subsidiary who produces the commercial products.

I'll update again once I attempt to talk to them. It's been frustrating, but I am persevering.....
phreich

Postby piokrza » June 19th, 2015, 4:44 am

I noted that they unfortunately discontinued the old "natural enzyme formula" which was more in bottle than this new "hard floor cleaner concentrate" bottle. And was cheaper too. Sad. :(
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby mjafari » June 27th, 2015, 7:17 pm

so is the Mr. Clean anti-bacterial multi-surface cleaner safe to use on the scooba 450?? and if so is the ratio still 2 tbsp per tank?
mjafari

Postby piokrza » June 27th, 2015, 8:01 pm

piokrza
Robot Master

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat