How to update 980 firmware?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

How to update 980 firmware?

Postby EvanVanVan » November 9th, 2016, 9:13 am

I've had the 980 for almost two months, and I just noticed it has an old firmware version. I first realized after searching for a daylight savings fix (the roomba has been running an hour early) and saw that feature had been added in FW 1.3, I'm still on 1.2.9. It's configured with the iRobot app but I can't find anything about available updates, what else do I have to do?

Thank you.
EvanVanVan

Re: How to update 980 firmware?

Postby vic7767 » November 9th, 2016, 10:58 am

The 980 firmware is updated via WiFi from your Roomba to the iRobot server. Presently the latest firmware version is 1.6.6, June 28, 2016. The iOS app is presently 1.8.0.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby EvanVanVan » November 9th, 2016, 11:03 am

Anyway I can force it to happen? It's connected to Wifi and activate according to my routers network page. If it makes a difference, my phone is almost always connected to the 5ghz AC network, while the robot is connected to the 2.4ghz N network. But it's a FiOS dual band router so it's really all one network.

On a side note, I've been meaning to contact iRobot support about them fixing the issue where the app tells me I'm on a different network when I'm not. I'm assuming it only checks the network name to make the determination.
EvanVanVan

Postby vic7767 » November 9th, 2016, 11:34 am

Possibly your issue is just what you have suspected. The WiFi running on the 980 is 2.4 ghz. Your router needs to assign a 2.4 ghz ip address to the Roomba. What does your router show?

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby EvanVanVan » November 9th, 2016, 11:36 am

The router shows the robot with an active 2.4 GHz type N connection. I guess I'll try factory resetting it via the app tonight.
EvanVanVan

Postby EvanVanVan » November 10th, 2016, 8:34 am

I factory reset the robot and reconnected it to wifi, and I kept my phone on the 2.4 ghz network rather then switching back to the 5ghz network(just to see if that made a difference) with no luck. I did notice that on the robot WiFi settings part of the app under Connectivity Status it says "Server error". My router still shows it as an active connection and can even ping it though...I guess this could be a question for real iRobot tech support...I attached a screenshot of different network settings and things..
Attachments
Untitled-4.jpg
EvanVanVan

Postby EvanVanVan » November 12th, 2016, 6:34 pm

I've now been on the phone twice with CS... I hope the escalation team has some idea of how Roomba's work, because the first level CS had no clue what I was talking about when I telling them the Robot's firmware/software hadn't updated. They thought I was referring to the app not updating, and had be try to reinstall it to fix the issue...

What exactly is supposed to happen? Does the app tell you that the robot's firmware is being updated? or does it just do it automatically/silently in the background?
EvanVanVan

Postby vic7767 » November 12th, 2016, 8:13 pm

It is flashed without any notifications at a time determined by internet traffic in your location.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby EvanVanVan » November 27th, 2016, 7:55 am

Just as a final update, after several phone calls and misunderstandings of the issue I was having iRobot replaced the 980 under warranty and within 24 hours of setting up the new robot it had updated to software version 1.6.6.

I still don't specifically see a setting to enable/disable Daylight Savings Time adjustments but I'm assuming it's taken care of automatically (which is still kind of stupid IMO, how do they deal with Arizona that doesn't observe DST?). They have an entire app that could handle random little settings and initiate the firmware updates, but I'm guessing they're trying to make everything simple/idiot proof. Anyway, I was worried they were going to send me a refurbished robot to replace my 30 day old robot but it appears to be new so I'm happy.
EvanVanVan

Postby Kolenka » November 27th, 2016, 12:24 pm

EvanVanVan wrote:I still don't specifically see a setting to enable/disable Daylight Savings Time adjustments but I'm assuming it's taken care of automatically (which is still kind of stupid IMO, how do they deal with Arizona that doesn't observe DST?).

It is actually easier to get it right these days in software rather than expecting a human to do it. With the OS on the Roomba, it's operating with UTC now, and gets its clock set by a network time server every so often. Any modern OS is built this way. Windows, Linux, and Mac, along with iOS and Android do it this way. Which means it needs to transform the UTC time into your local time for display. Which also means it has a library that handles date/time data and these sorts of conversions, and knows about time zones and daylight savings time rules. All it needs is a time zone identifier to know what rules to apply, and everything is automatic after that.

Yes, the software needs to be updated whenever the rules change though, which isn't terribly often. But it does suck to be in your situation where you needed the update.
Roomba 980, Roomba 960
Previous: Roomba 650, Botvac 80, Botvac D80, Botvac Connected. Deceased: XV-21, XV-11, XV-28
Kolenka
Robot Groupie

Postby EvanVanVan » November 27th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Kolenka wrote:With the OS on the Roomba, it's operating with UTC now, and gets its clock set by a network time server every so often. Any modern OS is built this way. Windows, Linux, and Mac, along with iOS and Android do it this way.

But every OS you mentioned gives you the option of whether it should be set automatically from the internet or allows you to do it manually.... And some (windows for instance) give you the option of whether or not it should automatically adjust for DST...

Kolenka wrote:Yes, the software needs to be updated whenever the rules change though, which isn't terribly often. But it does suck to be in your situation where you needed the update.

All I'm saying is they've already done the hard work and have a full fledged app to control/interact with the robot, now they just need to make it more useful.

Was it more cost effective for them to replace my new robot because the firmware wouldn't update, and even they didn't have control over the process or any idea how it worked other than "it'll happen in the next 7 days" (which it didn't)? A simple change in the app would have the phone grab the fw file first (automatically, or with a "check for updates" button) and then it could send the file to the robot...

I guess the 980 shits the bed if it's ever purchased by someone without wifi, or even someone who has a router/wifi but no internet? The app+robot should be able to work independently of a router/internet...I mean that's how the robot is initially set up, it's connecting directly to the roomba's wifi, similar to how a chromecast is set up... A wireless network makes things easier from the robot and app to communicate after that, but the phone could control/talk to the robot without it (and the internet itself is completely needless)...
EvanVanVan

Postby marquesalan » July 27th, 2017, 3:26 pm

I'm in the same boat with my 960. It has been 4 months and still no update. They said it is downloaded but is having network communication problems. No one knows what that it is. I had to talk to 3 people to figure out what the negative number under the wi-fi signal strength meant. Why make an app that the technicians have no clue what the settings mean? Weird. Solution...have the robot replaced. What if the next update doesn't work either? What about after the warranty is over? I told them they should have a micro-USB port somewhere on the unit (like the Scooba 450) so you can manually install software updates as a back-up. It's crazy how wi-fi dependent we are.
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » July 27th, 2017, 6:31 pm

EvanVanVan wrote:I told them they should have a micro-USB port somewhere on the unit

There is a micro USB located under the curved plastic just to the right of the dust bin.
Attachments
960.gif
960.gif (44.57 KiB) Viewed 2478 times

vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat