Roomba 805/860 continuous cleaning time before docking

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 805/860 continuous cleaning time before docking

Postby Zzz » December 31st, 2016, 2:52 pm

I had an 870 that when new would vacuum my great room for almost 90 minutes before needing to dock and recharge. So when I got the 805 with the improved Li-ion battery, I assumed the run time would be longer. However, it's turned out to be shorter. It only runs for about an hour before docking and flashing the orange battery light. In smaller rooms, the run time is even shorter, sometimes only 30 minutes.

Have others with the 805 or 860 experienced this? I even exchanged the first one because I thought the battery was defective, but the second unit is acting the same. I have a couple of guesses:

*The stock Li-ion has a smaller capacity than the Ni-MH, so the shorter run time is normal. The advantage is longer battery life, not longer run time. Users bragging about 2 hr run times with Li-ion are using 3rd party batteries, not stock.

*The Li-ion needs several charge/discharge cycles before reaching full capacity.

Can someone shed light on this?
Zzz

Re: Roomba 805/860 continuous cleaning time before docking

Postby a1robotrepair » December 31st, 2016, 3:13 pm

Zzz wrote:*The stock Li-ion has a smaller capacity than the Ni-MH, so the shorter run time is normal. The advantage is longer battery life, not longer run time. Users bragging about 2 hr run times with Li-ion are using 3rd party batteries, not stock.

*The Li-ion needs several charge/discharge cycles before reaching full capacity?

Possibly the 2300mAh stock LI pack. Pull the battery and check or call iRobot.
Others have reported needing the pack to be cycled for full capacity.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby etp » January 25th, 2017, 5:54 am

Doing the same. Trying a full charge after dying in another room.
etp

Postby henryd » January 25th, 2017, 11:22 am

The 805/860 with the Lithium battery only has a 2150mAh I believe. For floor and carpets I'm getting 75 minutes before it heads back to charge. If it was doing all hardwood or tiles it will get 90 minutes. Only the 980 series will get over 2 hours run time because it runs on 3300mAh Lithium battery. I think the lithiums get longer battery life and it also charges up quicker compared to Ni-MH.
henryd

Postby Zzz » January 25th, 2017, 12:56 pm

henryd wrote:The 805/860 with the Lithium battery only has a 2150mAh I believe. For floor and carpets I'm getting 75 minutes before it heads back to charge. If it was doing all hardwood or tiles it will get 90 minutes. Only the 980 series will get over 2 hours run time because it runs on 3300mAh Lithium battery. I think the lithiums get longer battery life and it also charges up quicker compared to Ni-MH.

I would be happy with 90 or 75 mins. On all hardwood and tile, I'm getting 1 hr max in my living room/kitchen and more like 30-45 mins in my bedrooms and hall.

I talked to Roomba tech support, and they told me that an hour runtime was within spec, as long as I don't notice any areas that are still dirty after it's done cleaning. My house is immaculate though, with much thanks to weekly Roomba cleanings, so it would be very hard to tell if it missed any areas.

She also told me that if the sensors stop sensing any dirt, it may do a shorter cycle. I didn't know that it had this functionality of cleaning longer if your floor is dirtier. Can anyone verify this?
Zzz

Postby henryd » January 25th, 2017, 1:55 pm

I think it takes longer when it's dirtier because it goes into spot cleaning mode where it goes back and forth over and over the same area until it's clean. This process takes a bit more time.
henryd

Postby vic7767 » January 25th, 2017, 2:30 pm

There appear to be two different triggers that will send the Roomba back to its base. The most obvious one with the highest priority is remaining battery voltage. The other trigger seems to be brought on by the iRobot touted "Aware" system firmware. This Aware system takes environmental triggers, wheel travel distance between bumper or cliff sensor activation, number of sensor activation reports.over time, etc. The Aware firmware may contribute to shorter run times in smaller areas.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby karenjohns » February 2nd, 2018, 2:33 pm

The Roomba 805 and Roomba 860 with Lithium battery has a 2150mAh. I think the lithiums get longer battery life.I have read and know the difference of two vacuum model.If anyone wants to learn more about it, please visit this article : https://bestsharkvacuumreviews.com/roomba-805-vs-860

karenjohns

Postby urroomba3 » February 15th, 2019, 10:04 am

I'm using Roomba 805 since 2016. Before bought this I got lots of positive review from my neighbor. And it is still delivering a good result. Although, I have no idea about Roomba 860. Due to the lithium-ion battery, this vacuum makes more productive and durable. Weighing around 8.4 pounds and measuring 18.2 x 16.5 x 5.5 inches iRobot 805 is easy to use. Also, It has a user-friendly interface and makes the cleaning process easy. Overall, It delivers up to three times battery cycle lifetime with 3.6” low profile. Even I noticed people who can settle without HEPA filter, go for Roomba 860 most often. For more information read the article. https://petvacuumlab.com/roomba-860-vs-805/
Roomba 805 review video.

Roomba 860 review video.
urroomba3

Postby Brett » February 17th, 2019, 2:58 am

I think you are overthinking it.
Those two robots are identical. POSSIBLY, there might be a different firmware if there is a big difference in manufacturing dates, but even so, you as user will not be able to notice any difference. If they have different batteries, that is another thing, but the robots are the same.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » February 17th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Brett wrote:I think you are overthinking it.
Those two robots are identical. POSSIBLY, there might be a different firmware if there is a big difference in manufacturing dates, but even so, you as user will not be able to notice any difference. If they have different batteries, that is another thing, but the robots are the same.

interesting. there are a load of 805s selling really cheap on ebay at the moment and i considered picking them up, but then read a load of reviews (which all had totally conflicting 'facts', obviously) that broadly agreed that, whether due to hardware or software improvements, the later 800s performed noticeably better cleaning than the 805.
Not the case in your experience?
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby Brett » February 18th, 2019, 12:53 am

The motherboards of those machines are identical, the cleaning heads are identical, the sidebrush units are identical, the wheels are identical, the sensor arrays are identical...

We love to think that each robot is somehow personified, or customised to a duty scenario, or to some unique point in the cost/performance curve, but the simple economics is that volume wins.

As I said later generations MAY have a slightly updated firmware - most likely completely undetectable to the user. The differing batteries might affect performance in maintaining higher voltage under load, but again I doubt that it would be detectable to the user, and the natural scatter of performance of different machines would probably be more significant.

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » February 18th, 2019, 6:46 am

yes, fair point.
it's really not helped by so many variations of roomba model numbers, which give the impression that something must be changing between iterations
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » February 18th, 2019, 9:55 am

Botty wrote:yes, fair point.
it's really not helped by so many variations of Roomba model numbers, which give the impression that something must be changing between iterations

The same thing happened with radios in the 1930s and TVs in the 1950s and 1960s. The same chassis was used in dozens of different models within a line, the only difference being how "fancy" a cabinet was put around that chassis (or in the case of TVs, the size of the CRT). But electronically the features and performance were the same, across the enter model line regardless of the price of a specific model in the line. Even in cases where the radio or TV added a special option (e.g. a record changer) the main chassis was still identical and the option had its own separate chassis wired to the main chassis.

The 5 models of TV first introduced by RCA at the New York World's Fair in 1939 were essentially identical electronically (except the lowest priced model, which had no audio section and was connected to a "TV ready" radio that it was assumed you had previously purchased a few years earlier) except for the size of CRT (the most expensive model with the largest CRT the 12 inch diameter CRT was mounted vertically and viewed in a mirror on the hinged lid at the top of the cabinet due to the length of that tube).
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat