Roomba 960 Max Square Footage

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 960 Max Square Footage

Postby marquesalan » March 31st, 2017, 2:19 pm

My house is 2700 sq ft. I sometimes keep 2 bedroom doors closed so at most times it's probably closer to 2K. Does anyone know what the maximum square footage the Roomba 960 can cover even using the recharge and resume feature?
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Re: Roomba 960 Max Square Footage

Postby glnc222 » April 5th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Area specs are not given by makers because it takes longer to maneuver around more furniture, making such measures unreliable, and instead give run time specs. They also do not care to expose the area facts. I have long been interested in the question.

The 960 runs 75 minutes vs 120 minutes for the 980. Another user reported the 980 required two charges to complete 1200 sq ft (with more tedious edge cleaning option engaged; the 2nd run could have been short, not reported). A Botvac D5 has been reported covering 1300 sqft in one charge. The larger, wider intake Powerbot might do 1400 sq ft on one charge, faster. Bots which cover areas twice, crossing again at 90 degrees, will take longer and cover less -- examine detailed specifications.

Yet beware larger batteries will cost more, though with the newer lithium batteries could last a couple years or more.

Older random navigation bots will cover less than the systematic guided robots, taking more time to cover. They are now a lower cost category than the premium brands, with many offerings.

The lower end premium models are not oriented towards a large space and are supplied with smaller batteries (960 vs 980, Botvac D3 vs D5). For such a large space even two robots might be appropriate, or doing half the house on alternate days. Batteries will wear out faster increasing long term costs. The specialty Dyson robot is oriented towards high suction power and small areas.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby marquesalan » April 5th, 2017, 4:59 pm

That all makes sense but I rarely keep my Roomba and it's battery more than 18 months so I am not concerned how long the battery lasts. Probably just best to keep my 880, order the 960 and see how well it performs in comparison. Thank you for your input
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » April 10th, 2017, 1:43 pm

The Botvac D3 can be upgraded to the longer D5 run time installing the larger replacement battery. I wonder whether the Roomba 960 could do similar with a 980 battery; I do not have the specs. The Botvac software apparently can recognize the larger battery in monitoring the charge usage when running. Older Roomba's could use whatever battery capacity is installed if I recall correctly, but guided robots have to monitor it more intensively to return to base automatically etc.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby marquesalan » April 10th, 2017, 2:32 pm

I was told by iRobot that no matter what size battery you put in the 960 it is monitored at the 75 minute mark and will return to the base around the same time every time. I do not currently own the 960 to test it out. I plan to get the unit in May. I have the X-life battery from my 880 which is bigger so I will try it in the 960 and post my results here.
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Postby dzmiller » April 11th, 2017, 9:09 pm

I don't believe the 960 would cover 2700 sq ft. It will cover more sq ft with edge cleaning turned off.

That said, the 960 is the right choice for many people. I have a dog and a multistory house. The 980 would provide me no advantage at all over the 960. The 960 bin in my house fills up at about 500 sq ft. I only have about 500 sq ft per floor.

I might buy Neato with that large of a single floor. Neato is faster and has a bigger bin. Although I returned to Roomba after early hardware failure with two Neatos.

I was probably never going to pay almost $1000 for a Roomba. But $700 was good enough. If the 960 doesn't last for over two years, I will return to Neato or try a third brand.
dzmiller
Robot Groupie

Postby marquesalan » April 12th, 2017, 8:14 am

I could not wait for the 960 so I ordered it yesterday. I was waiting for a sale but the company said if it goes on sale in the next 6 months they would give me the difference of over $100 back. Sweet! So, stay posted. I will run my machine as soon as I can and let you know which batteries ran the longest and how many recharges it takes to cover my house. #RoombaLove
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Postby marquesalan » April 20th, 2017, 7:26 pm

All right. The new machine arrived yesterday. It is one nice looking unit! I like the grey much better than brown.
The Roomba 960 recharged three times, ran for 5 hours and 50 minutes and covered 1,400 sq ft of area. My house is 2,700 but I guess it just tracks the actually walking space. I only kept one bedroom door closed and it hit every part of my house. Amazing! The iAdapt technology is so much better. I know they say the motor is the same as the 880 but I had to empty the bin once halfway through and again at the end. I just ran my 880 for 2.5 hours yesterday. Amazing how much more stuff it picked up. I can actually feel the fan blowing hard out of the back of the unit. There seems to much more airflow than my 880. Maybe because it's new? The only thing I don't like is the fact that it has to recharge so many times. I am thinking the battery won't last a year. In a couple weeks I am going to switch out the battery with the Xlife iRobot battery to see if it makes any difference. Plus I also plan to run it with Single Pass only and no Edge Cleaning. Running this unit almost 6 hours a day might just kill it.
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Postby flat5 » April 27th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Setting it to single pass and no edge cleaning should cut the time significantly. My downstairs is about 1,100 ft covered by the robot when all the doors are open, and it takes about 3 hours to 3 hours 30 minutes.

Mine runs from 2 am to 5 am. It's like magic when you wake up to a freshly vacuumed house! Just empty the bin (which filled every day for about 10 days in a row!) and wipe a little dust off the sensors and it's good to go again. I've been running it every night, but once it starts to come back fairly clean (it's still filling about 2/3 of the way every single day), then I'll cut back to every other day or something.
flat5

Postby dzmiller » May 8th, 2017, 1:01 pm

flat5 wrote:Setting it to single pass and no edge cleaning should cut the time significantly. My downstairs is about 1,100 ft covered by the robot when all the doors are open, and it takes about 3 hours to 3 hours 30 minutes.

Mine runs from 2 am to 5 am. It's like magic when you wake up to a freshly vacuumed house! Just empty the bin (which filled every day for about 10 days in a row!) and wipe a little dust off the sensors and it's good to go again. I've been running it every night, but once it starts to come back fairly clean (it's still filling about 2/3 of the way every single day), then I'll cut back to every other day or something.

That's how I do it. Anytime the bin is full it gets run the next day. This seems to be the way to keep the house clean but not put unnecessary hours on the unit.

3 1/2 hours seems like a lot of time for 1100 sq feet
dzmiller
Robot Groupie

Postby marquesalan » May 8th, 2017, 3:11 pm

The 960 cleans my 1500 square foot area in 2 hours and 27 minutes. It had to charge twice but when I put the older blue Xlife battery in it then it only requires one charge to complete the house. Seems so crazy they would put a short battery in any of their new units regardless of cost. It reflects bad on the product. It's already $100 more than the 880 so just put in a bigger battery or give people the option when they buy it.
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat