damage to carpets

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

damage to carpets

Postby disappointed » April 15th, 2017, 7:31 am

I have had my iroomba for around 18 months. At first I thought it was great. Now I see it has damaged all my carpets. When the Roomba comes to a wall it goes up and down the wall making unsightly grooves into the carpets. Similar problem if it has to go under a table (or similar) and it just goes round in circles. I thought the carpet pile would lift if I had them cleaned. Unfortunately the damage is permanent. Great machine for hard floors but I wont use it on the carpets again.
disappointed

Re: damage to carpets

Postby vic7767 » April 15th, 2017, 9:14 am

You might want to provide a picture or two and also mention the model of your Roomba.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby gregj » April 17th, 2017, 2:55 pm

which roomba and yes, some photos would be lovely
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby Loshki » April 18th, 2017, 6:11 pm

The upstairs nylon carpeting is completely indestructible, I think. On a par with Kale.

But downstairs, the lovely Persian rugs have, over time, had their fringes chewed away by Neatos and Roombas. At first I thought it was just general wear and tear, but it clearly happens under chairs in corners where the Roomba likes to spend its time, that never see any feet. The 'body' of the rugs is showing its age, but nothing I would attribute to automate cleaning. Pix available on request.
Loshki

Postby CleanMe » April 18th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Similarly, I've used Roomba's on my Persian rugs for close to 10 years and I can't see any damage to the 'body' of the rugs. The fringe is a problem with rotating brush vacuums, of course. Damage can be caused by the fringe getting entangled in the vacuum brushes, and with constant use I've read the brushes will fray and degrade the fringes as you have described. On my rugs, the fringe is always tucked under the edges and held in place with masking tape - which does not leave any residue. I prefer the fringe-less look anyway, as it's impossible to keep them neat and orderly. But that's just my preference.

You may know that the knots at the base of the fringe is what holds hand-knotted rugs together. Once the knots come loose, the edge of the rug begins to unravel. So if your rug is hand-knotted (not machine made) or if the damaged fringe is unsightly, you may want to try the masking tape trick.
CleanMe
Robot Addict

Postby disappointed » May 6th, 2017, 4:36 am

Roomba 870
Response from irobot is that I must have sensitive carpets. It's damaged 4 different carpets all of different construction.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
disappointed

Postby mfortuna » May 6th, 2017, 9:29 am

If you rub your hand back and forth does the pattern go away? I see the same patterns from my roomba and they go away after a few days of foot traffic.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby a1robotrepair » May 6th, 2017, 10:48 am

mfortuna wrote:If you rub your hand back and forth does the pattern go away? I see the same patterns from my roomba and they go away after a few days of foot traffic.

A regular vacuum will do more "damage" than the posted pictures of no damage.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » May 6th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Those robot vacuum rub marks are not limited to Roomba. Neato does it too.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby Shazb0t » May 9th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I'm not sure if maybe the "damage" isn't coming through on these pics. Do you differentiate this look from the lines you get when you run a normal vacuum over carpet? Or is that what you are actually calling carpet damage?
Shazb0t

Postby disappointed » May 15th, 2017, 8:31 am

I can confirm that the damage to the carpets is permanent. These are not surface marks they are wear grooves in the carpet.
disappointed

Postby a1robotrepair » May 15th, 2017, 10:09 am

地毯在中国制造
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby daa » September 20th, 2017, 3:52 pm

i too have been noticing deeper grooves in lines along walls and furniture for wall to wall carpeting. does having the carpets professionally cleaned or steamed get these grooves out?
daa

Postby daa » October 4th, 2017, 12:14 pm

i have the 655 Pet Series in case that makes a difference. are the higher end models better at not leaving permanent grooves in the carpet?
daa

Re: damage to carpets (Roomba Pet Series 595)

Postby RickMichigan1 » June 22nd, 2018, 3:22 pm

The removable dirt basket of the Roomba somehow removed itself while cleaning and the Roomba got stuck in a triangle (between wall and sofa on an angle)where it proceeded to lift itself on an angle and eat its way down to the bottom where the fibers are attached. This happened in two areas. Luckily it is behind a sofa but when I sell the house I may have to pay for their new carpet.
Attachments
IMG_20180622_134531.jpg
IMG_20180622_134523.jpg
RickMichigan1

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat