New Roombas coming by the end of June

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New Roombas coming by the end of June

Postby mofan » April 26th, 2017, 10:22 am

Today Irobot reported its earnings for the first quarter of 2017. In that conference call, Irobot CEO Colin Angle confirmed that during the second quarter of this year (by the end of June), it will be pushing wifi connectivity by introducing that feature into additional robots at price points lower than the 900 series. In that same time frame, Alexa integration with wifi-connected Roombas will also be made available. I got the impression that there was no new generation of Roomba coming soon, just that the wifi capability would be available in low and mid-tier robots.
mofan
Robot Groupie

Re: New Roombas coming by the end of June

Postby Shazb0t » April 26th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Glad I didn't just pick up a 980 to have a brand new top of the line model introduced :)
Shazb0t

Postby hazelb » May 5th, 2017, 4:03 am

I'll keep an eye on developments. A new roomba is on my birthday wish list.... so it will be good to know what's going to be new / changed with the current range of roombas.
hazelb

Postby mofan » May 5th, 2017, 10:21 pm

I think that we already know. Announced this week was the Roomba 690, a WiFi version of the existing 650 (and with a lithium battery) that is on sale now. Also announced the Roomba 890, basically a WiFi version of the 880 also with a lithium battery. That one goes on sale within a few weeks.
mofan
Robot Groupie

Postby marquesalan » May 6th, 2017, 7:27 am

Who cares if the lower end models have wi-fi? The real technological advantage is the iAdapt 2.0! So you can see where you robot bounced randomly around your house. Better cleaning should be the goal. Put a camera on them, not wi-fi or both! They need to update the navigation software on all models so it uses back and forth cleaning paths to cover the same area in less time and without missing any spots. Wi-fi connection is a very nice and cool feature but fixing the quality of work seems to me to be a better way to go.
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Postby Shazb0t » May 9th, 2017, 8:24 pm

marquesalan wrote:Who cares if the lower end models have wi-fi? The real technological advantage is the iAdapt 2.0! So you can see where you robot bounced randomly around your house. Better cleaning should be the goal. Put a camera on them, not wi-fi or both! They need to update the navigation software on all models so it uses back and forth cleaning paths to cover the same area in less time and without missing any spots. Wi-fi connection is a very nice and cool feature but fixing the quality of work seems to me to be a better way to go.
Agreed
Shazb0t

Postby piokrza » May 10th, 2017, 12:15 pm

marquesalan wrote:Who cares if the lower end models have wi-fi? The real technological advantage is the iAdapt 2.0! So you can see where you robot bounced randomly around your house. Better cleaning should be the goal. Put a camera on them, not wi-fi or both! They need to update the navigation software on all models so it uses back and forth cleaning paths to cover the same area in less time and without missing any spots. Wi-fi connection is a very nice and cool feature but fixing the quality of work seems to me to be a better way to go.

Disagreed
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby marquesalan » May 12th, 2017, 6:10 am

Please explain why you disagree. How will wi-fi improve the lower end robots besides OTA software updates?
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Postby RoboCup » May 12th, 2017, 2:09 pm

IMHO, wifi is a nice-to-have feature but not all that necessary. To the average consumer, seeing Wi-Fi on the retail box must make a significant, otherwise they wouldn't go through the trouble of adding it to the lower end Roombas. Just my two cents.
RoboCup

Postby Hill » June 19th, 2017, 10:04 am

marquesalan wrote:Wi-fi connection is a very nice and cool feature but fixing the quality of work seems to me to be a better way to go.

Maybe for customers, but remember there are shareholders to please. Development resources will go towards whichever project has the best IRR, NPV, or whatever metric they use.
Hill

Postby jdong » June 19th, 2017, 4:21 pm

I just switched phones and didn't have wifi connectivity set up on my 980 for a few weeks and honestly I missed the functionality. I never program my Roomba to run on a schedule because it doesn't know whether or not I have a poster or unassembled computer on the ground.

But in my busy mornings, sometimes I mean to start the Roomba before I leave home, but I forget. Many times I'll start my Roomba at work during the day.

I think that alone is a useful feature for many, regardless of whether or not the device supports iAdapt 2.0.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby ElectronGuru » July 3rd, 2017, 4:51 pm

Same here. Wanting to replace my 550 (7 series brush kit) with lithium, better motors, etc and was looking at the costco 805. But wifi on the newer 890 sealed the deal. We often stop after scheduled launch and then forget to restart after rushing out the door. This should make both easier for more frequent cleaning.

Just hope the brushless drums are up to the job.
ElectronGuru

Postby piokrza » July 5th, 2017, 6:26 am

marquesalan wrote:Please explain why you disagree. How will wi-fi improve the lower end robots besides OTA software updates?

I did not refer to Wi-Fi capability, but brush design itself. Poor efficiency on carpet and area rug in case of 800's extractors. Much better results with 600/700 in picking up fluff.
piokrza
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat