Left wheel stuck, replaced with new, now rocking

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Left wheel stuck, replaced with new, now rocking

Postby ziloni » May 17th, 2017, 8:34 pm

I have a Roomba 555. Many moons ago someone left a fly paper (not the kind you hang, its a sheet of thick card stock paper about half the size of a standard piece of paper) and Roomba got into it. The left wheel was stuck and it just started going in circles and the brush was not spinning either.

We ordered a new left wheel and brush module. Swapped both out and now the left wheel and brush still dont move but now it rocks back and forth with the right wheel. Forward, backward, forward backward.

Thought it was the cliff sensors so we cleaned them as they were dirty inside. MAN what a pain to get to the insides of them.. have to disassmble the whole robot including removing the motherboard.

Got it all back together with cleaned cliff sensors, and SAME thing. My son says it acts like it is bumping something. Could a different sensor be dirty or broken? I would really prefer not to buy a new Rooma especially as I have a lot of extra parts for this one. We don't live in the US so we always keep on hand spare parts for essential items. And also we pay about 70% tax on Roombas, so would really like to get this fixed.

Any suggestions on what to try?
ziloni

Re: Left wheel stuck, replaced with new, now rocking

Postby vic7767 » May 17th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Try going to the "Roomba & Scooba info, fixes and mod" thread and find the 500 model Roomba Service Manual and download it. Read through the manual and learn how to place your 555 into the MANUAL Built in Test mode. Then you will be able to test all the sensors and motors in your Roomba.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Re: Left wheel stuck, replaced with new, now rocking

Postby ziloni » May 18th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Thanks. BTW we originally bought this 555 from you. :)
ziloni

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat