Is it risk that the top "eye" crash?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Is it risk that the top "eye" crash?

Postby petrho » May 19th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Waiting for my new Roomba 980. One question before I get it: I have a cough which just gives 3 mm extra space between the Roomba's top. It's also a carpet close to the cough...

My concern is if the robot can crash the top "eye" if the angle is affected due to the carpet?
petrho

Re: Is it risk that the top "eye" crash?

Postby Shazb0t » May 21st, 2017, 6:48 pm

It's recessed a bit so would be unlikely.
Shazb0t

Postby Skreelink » May 22nd, 2017, 5:29 am

I assume they're talking about the IR sensor that sits ontop of the bumper. If the angle causes it to hit, it will activate the bumper and turn the roomba around, it shouldn't hit with enough force to harm it. If you're worried about it, I would suggest some 1/2 inch shims under the feet of the couch to raise it up a little to prevent collision.
Skreelink

Postby glnc222 » May 23rd, 2017, 1:58 pm

Experimenting is required with these robots, made to bump things, given the wide variation in furnishings to navigate. You can move the robot by hand into the couch to see how it fits. It is possible the 980 will not go under the couch because the camera and optical sensors will detect the over head obstruction, improved over older models with less equipment and prone to getting trapped. Only running the vacuum will reveal all problems. Very little clearance is needed for it to work. More than damaging the robot is the problem of getting stuck somewhere.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat