Buying Guide:980, 960 or Botvac Connected?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Buying Guide:980, 960 or Botvac Connected?

Postby beginner_ » August 8th, 2017, 12:45 am

Hi all,

first post here. Looking to buy a robot vacuum for new apartment (1450 sqft) most hardwood and some tile floors. No pets. Idea is to let it run maybe twice a week so that we only have to manually vacuum once a month or less depending on robots performance.I have already informed myself about these 3 robots but all seem to have a significant downside.

980: expensive, some features I don't need (carpet boost for example), needs light!
960: needs light! Small battery. Can this battery be replaced say by one from a 980 or 3rd party? I found lot's of 3rd part batteries but none list 900 series as compatible.
Also how often will it charge for 1450 sqft? And how long will it take?

For both: They don't work in the dark. How dark does that mean, how much light do they need? Scenario: Hot summer days. I close all blinds to keep the heat out (no AC). So its isn't very bright in the flat but it's also not completely dark. Would it still work?

Lastly the botvac connected is comparatively cheaper to a 980 or has longer battery life than a 960 and works in the dark. However I've read it's more hands on, gets lost/trapped easier. is that true? Also the brush needs to be cleaned often compared to Roombas "extractors". Is this really such a pain as indicated?

Thanks for your help!
beginner_

Re: Buying Guide:980, 960 or Botvac Connected?

Postby vic7767 » August 8th, 2017, 10:31 am

The robots you've selected and investigated are all running in my home/shop. The best performer and most dependable is the iRobot 9XX series. The 960 is shipped with a lower capacity LI-ION pack. I replaced the OEM Lithium pack with a 4400 mAH pack from Lithium Power Inc. Of course I also replaced the 980 with the same 4400 mAH pack.

The 960 runs quite well in medium dark areas without issues. The 960 will resort to the earlier Roomba models non visual random cleaning pattern when cleaning within a totally dark room or area. The 980 also will do the same navigation in a totally dark area.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Re: Buying Guide:980, 960 or Botvac Connected?

Postby jorgeli » August 11th, 2017, 1:55 am

I have a a Neato botvac conected and a Neato D5 Conected .
They work very good and have good navigation and never miss a spot.
Do not have problems with cleaning brush either , but i only have one cat :-)

But i could understand that the brush need to clean more regualay if have more long hair animals.
jorgeli

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat