Roomba 980 taking FOREVER to get around entire house

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 980 taking FOREVER to get around entire house

Postby G-Man71 » August 19th, 2017, 1:13 pm

I bought a Roomba 980 about a week ago. So far, I'm happy with it, but after a week of running it every day, it has yet to make it around my entire house. My house is about 2,700 square feet (probably more like 1,600 square feet of floor space). I have been starting it around 6:30 in the morning and by 9 or 10 at night, it still isn't finished. I usually just shut it off because I don't want it running while I'm trying to sleep. I have a lot of carpet in my house, so that probably has something to do with the amount of time that it takes to get around the house, but the total time still seems a little excessive. Is this normal? I have tried changing some of the settings to see if that makes a difference, such as turning of carpet boost and setting it to one cleaning pass. Those seem to have helped a little, but it still hasn't been able to finish. I might try turning off edge clean next. Does anyone have any other suggestions, or is that just the way it is? The Roomba still seems to go over the same areas multiple times, even though I set it to one cleaning pass.
G-Man71

Re: Roomba 980 taking FOREVER to get around entire house

Postby vic7767 » August 19th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Turning off edge cleaning will help a lot to shorten run times.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby a1robotrepair » August 19th, 2017, 2:23 pm

2700 sqft is more than your poor little bot can handle in one cleaning.
Sequence of 980 cleaning:
Runs 50 to 80 minutes, depending on settings, 600 to 900 sqft.
Recharges for 90 minutes, 75% battery capacity.
Returns to mission for 35 to 60 minutes...450 to 700 sqft.
Recharges...
Mission...
And so forth.
Options:
Block off 1000 sqft and do those less traveled areas every other day.
Replace battery with Lithium Power Inc 4400. It may finish the entire job by 9 Pm.
Get a 2nd bot for the bedroom areas, like a 650.
I don't let mine in the kitchen or baths, afraid of sucking up water.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby G-Man71 » August 22nd, 2017, 12:51 pm

Thanks for the tips. My Roomba made it a little farther yesterday and almost got through the entire house. Turning off the edge cleaning does seem to help. I may just try to set up some virtual walls and clean half the house at a time.
G-Man71

Postby jdong » August 22nd, 2017, 1:47 pm

Turning off Edge Cleaning and/or Carpet Boost both dramatically increase the cleaning efficiency in terms of the area covered per time. I usually do my daily runs with both turned off, or with Edge Cleaning + no Carpet Boost, and once every few weeks I do a deep cleaning marathon run.

For me it's far more important to get coverage and surface dust out on a regular basis compared to attempting a Carpet Boost deep clean.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby RobotJunkie30 » August 31st, 2017, 5:02 pm

Had the same problem but with 2000 sqf. Ok I will be the first roomba owner to admit that the navigation is just not good enough. As soon as it gets dim it goes the same places 5 times and starts going in "roomba" mode. And the high pitched sound the motor makes, does not help if it is going to vaccum for 5 hours and going back 5 times to same places. Just annoyed me and my wife. Furthermore it always slammed into our black furniture. This is not ok for an 900usd machine.
On the positive side I tried the Xiaomi robot as my friend had one. I did not expect much but boy is that a great machine. Navigation is perfect and accurate maps are made of every single chair and teble leg. You can see where your kids left their toys on the live map while it is running it just shames the map irobot provides at the end of cleaning. It does not care if its dark or light in the room and the sonar is detecting every object no matter the color or shape. And yes it is more silent with same suction. Furthermore dust bin is more practical and easy to take out, and it cleans corners better and it is faster. Most important it takes the exact same time every time to clean the house. You can see where it has been on the map and is going and what is left to clean. The monster 5200 battery it has will probably clean 80 % of your whole house on single charge on balaced mode. Try it...
RobotJunkie30

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat