Roomba 980 lost connection to app

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 980 lost connection to app

Postby gordopa1 » August 21st, 2017, 11:12 am

Hello robot reviews forums! I recently purchased a used 980 from eBay. It arrived and I got it set up and connected to the iRobot Home app on my Android phone without any issues. It had successfully completed two scheduled cleanings over the course of 4 days. Over the weekend, I wanted to use it in our kitchen. The bot cannot get into the kitchen by itself due to a small step up into the area. I picked it up from the charging base and it beeped an error at me regarding being placed on an even surface and restarting the cleaning cycle. I placed it in the kitchen, pressed clean, and away it went. It did the entire area without a problem. I went into the app to see the map and noticed that the robot's status in the Home app was still on the error that was generated when I picked it up from its home base to move into the kitchen.

Now I cannot get the app to reconnect to the robot no matter what I try. My router shows the bot having an IP address and being connected to the network, but the app can't find it. I have removed the robot from the app and tried to go through the initial connection process again, but the when I get to the point where the robot should create an ad-hoc network for the phone to connect to and send the wifi parameters over, no network ever shows up as available to connect to.

Is it possible that the robot is not generating the ad-hoc network because it is already connected to the internet? Is there any way to factory reset the robot without using the app to force it into thinking it is new and hopefully allow it to create the ad-hoc setup network?

I'm open to any advice or suggestions for getting the robot reconnected to my Home app. As it stands now, it still cleans by pressing the physical clean button on top of the robot, but I am missing the push notifications and cleaning maps and scheduling.
gordopa1

Re: Roomba 980 lost connection to app

Postby mfortuna » August 21st, 2017, 11:48 am

Try removing and inserting the battery.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby gordopa1 » August 21st, 2017, 11:53 am

mfortuna wrote:Try removing and inserting the battery.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried this, but failed to report it in my initial post. I have also tried the 10 second clean button press reboot procedure.
gordopa1

Postby a1robotrepair » August 21st, 2017, 3:29 pm

Try starting it from the base.
Add a robot, see if it finds "Name".
Reset usinging app, bot "Name", then add a robot.
Remove using app, bot "Name", then setup a new robot.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby Atena » August 21st, 2017, 3:32 pm

I know that this is not the correct place and I'm sorry for bugging in but I'm having the same problem with my braava jet. The app stopped connecting to my braava.
I also removed braava from the app and reinstall it but no good.
Last edited by Atena on August 21st, 2017, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atena

Postby gordopa1 » August 21st, 2017, 3:39 pm

a1robotrepair wrote:Try starting it from the base.

When you say starting it from the base, do you mean put the robot in the dock and then try to start the pairing process?
gordopa1

Postby a1robotrepair » August 21st, 2017, 4:24 pm

No, press the CLEAN button.
And, Yes, everything from the base.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby a1robotrepair » August 21st, 2017, 4:31 pm

The gyro tilted fault seems to be particularly hard to recover from.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby gordopa1 » August 21st, 2017, 8:35 pm

a1robotrepair wrote:Try starting it from the base.

No luck with these steps. Still could not find the robot while it was running a clean started from the base.

I spoke with irobot customer service and they gave me a button press combo I had never found online. Holding home, clean, and dock simultaneously for about 5 seconds is a factory reset according to irobot. It must have done something, because now the robot is no longer on my home network. Still not able to set it up as new, though, as it refuses to create the ad-hoc network.

I saw in the teardown that the WiFi is provided via a special sd card. If that is correct, is it possible to replace that piece?
gordopa1

Postby a1robotrepair » August 21st, 2017, 9:39 pm

Check app device wifi network, make sure your on 2.4GHz and password entered at setup is correct.
My phone and tablet will auto select between my networks when I return home. Doesn't matter unless I need to add a robot.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby gordopa1 » August 22nd, 2017, 8:53 am

a1robotrepair wrote:Check app device wifi network, make sure your on 2.4GHz and password entered at setup is correct.
My phone and tablet will auto select between my networks when I return home. Doesn't matter unless I need to add a robot.

I have verified that I am connected to the 2.4 ghz side of my wireless network when attempting to go through the set up process.
gordopa1

Postby a1robotrepair » August 22nd, 2017, 9:32 am

I cant tell you what your problem is but whenever I have had problems it has been my internet provider or router.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby Atena » August 24th, 2017, 6:03 pm

I don't know if this will help but turn on GPS when you are connecting your roomba to the app.
This worked with my braava jet.
Atena

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat