Bought a broken 650 off ebay. Side brush turns continuosly

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Bought a broken 650 off ebay. Side brush turns continuosly

Postby I_Like_to_tinker » September 14th, 2017, 2:19 pm

I bought a broken 650 off ebay(it says remanufactured on the box). When I but a working battery from another roomba in it, the side brush turns continuously non-stop. I found some old threads on this forum for the pre-500 series roombas that lead me to believe that I need to buy a new MOSFET to replace something that is referred to as U11 which is probably shorted out. Can someone let me know if I am on the right track and any specifics for doing this?

I paid $100 for this and it is kind of a let down. I have a cheap soldering iron from harbor freight, a 3d printer, and a decent quality (according to EEVblog) digital multimeter. I've never used a soldering iron before, but I definitely want to do this. Worst case scenario, I move the brush cage, improved side brush module, and aerovac bin to one of my 500 series roombas....
I_Like_to_tinker

Re: Bought a broken 650 off ebay. Side brush turns continuos

Postby TechGuy » September 14th, 2017, 8:42 pm

The 500/600 series uses H-Bridges to control the side brush because the 500/600 side brush can spin in both directions. While the 400 series Roomba side brush rotates only in one direction.

Read this post by a1robotrepair on how to repair H-Bridge circuit.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19065&hilit=#p135674

He is talking about the main brushes H-Bridge which uses 4 power transistors. But the side brush H-Bridge uses small transistors. But the design for both type of H-Bridge is the same. I followed a1robotrepair instructions and had successfully repair a side brush H-Bridge.

The following post describes how I used a1robotrepair info to repair 3 boards.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19065&hilit=#p143077
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby I_Like_to_tinker » September 14th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Thank you for your time. I am returning it/throwing it out. It had a stinky brown fluid in and leaking out of various crevices including under the face plate as pictured below. It's kind of making me rethink my plans of giving cleaned up and fixed up roomba's from ebay as gifts to some older relatives for christmas. I'm definitely going to do an incredibly anal retentive tear down cleaning of the other roomba's I bought on ebay.

https://i.imgur.com/tZMQ1dS.jpg
I_Like_to_tinker

Postby hazelb » December 9th, 2017, 7:27 am

Yuck! That looks nasty.

It is pot luck buying used roombas off eBay.

I’ve been fairly lucky with my 3 roombas bought off eBay, mainly flat batteries or odd errors. One day i’ll Have a new one lol!
hazelb

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat