Roomba 4100 Remote Control/Virtual Wall not working.

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 4100 Remote Control/Virtual Wall not working.

Postby jhornbr225 » December 3rd, 2017, 4:40 pm

I've got an old 4100. It works pretty good, and does eveything I ask of it, except listen to virtual walls and the scheduler remote.

I have cleaned the Receiver in the front bumper. I have also tried to measure voltage on the main PCB. There seems to be no voltage at the black and red wires's respective pins on the PCB. I measured with both simply having the battery insterted, and when turning the power on. The cable harness looks good, and appears to be in the proper places to prevent damage. I ohmed the cable from the main PCB to the small PCB under the front bumper, it tests good. If I unplug the 3 wire harness Red, Blue, Black, and measure at the pins on the main PCB, I see no voltage.

Is there a schematic available of the portion of the board that supplies power to the IR receiver? I have the charging and control schematic, but don't see the IR sensor on there. All my other sensors work, cliff, wall following, etc. Or is there a common failure on the main PCB that causes the bumper IR sensor to lose power?

I actually have already done the U2/U4 mod following instructions i found, and it works great!

Thank you!
jhornbr225

Re: Roomba 4100 Remote Control/Virtual Wall not working.

Postby jhornbr225 » December 7th, 2017, 11:53 am

Maybe I asked too many questions.

Could someone please look at their Roomba Red/Discovery, something of the generation of the 4100 and take a voltage measurement for me on the power pins to the IR unit that sticks out the top of the front bumper?

I would think there should be power there most of the time. I believe the remote has the capability of turning the Roomba on. And if it is already on, I'm sure it has the ability to tell it to start.

I'm not sure if the power is coming straight off the 5V regulator, or if the common goes right to battery common. I would either say that I have a burnt trace, and bad connection, or a bad component. Knowing what voltage should be there would give me my first clue.

Thanks!
jhornbr225

Postby vic7767 » December 7th, 2017, 2:17 pm

See if this post will offer some insight into the RCON receiver on your R2 Roomba

viewtopic.php?p=99951#p99951 ...
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jhornbr225 » December 8th, 2017, 11:18 am

I did find that post during my searches. I felt it did not directly apply as I didn't reverse polarity the battery. Also, the link for http://mysite.verizon.net/gsplews/schem ... ctions.htm seems to be down, as it just takes you to Verizon home page.

The reason I did the U2/U4 replacement was my own stupidity. I found that my original power supply was bad. I had a DIN rail mount 24VDC supply available, so I hooked it up. By that point my battery was so dead from trying to charge it with the bad supply, it drew a bunch of current, and as the DIN rail supply is 90W, capable of 3.75A, you can guess what happened. It made a quiet squeal for a few seconds, then nothing. Since then I have learned and put a switching Buck converter in line and limited the current to 300mA. I really don't care that she takes overnight to charge, and I know that's safer for the battery.

Anyway, Dottie runs perfectly now, it's just that she runs through virtual walls, and can't find the dock. All the searching I did, I found posts where people had the same problem, but found a crimped wire or a intermittent connection on the legs of a LED or photodiode.

I was hoping someone with a bare control board, or someone who had a unit with the front bumper off, would hook up a battery and check the voltage for me, and possibly ohm out from the black wire to battery common to see if it's tied directly to battery negative. I'd like to pull the front bumper off and power up the RCON outside of Dottie and see the output with a scope. But I don't want to overvoltage the part.

Or can someone tell me when the remote control is supposed to work? Does the power on the Roomba need to be turned on? Or is there supposed to be power at the RCON all the time?
jhornbr225

Postby vic7767 » December 8th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Anytime the battery is installed in your Roomba, the RCON is active.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jhornbr225 » December 8th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Great! That's good to know. I had kind of thought it would be that way, but as this is my first Roomba, and my RCON has never worked properly, I had nothing to base my experience on. Thank you Vic.

Now if someone could chime in with the voltage they see on the RCON plug, and whether or not the black wire is directly tied to battery negative... That would be awesome!
jhornbr225

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat